Vig Guardian PVE Survival

I'm not going to rant and rave like a child who's toys broke. That's just silly. However the deeper I get into hard modes the more I realize that shoulder to shoulder with Sentinels I'm getting wrecked in terms of damage taken. I I spent about 1/4th of a Bonecrusher fight standing out of melee because I was taking so much burst damage from his stomps and swipes that I simply had to run away and wait for heals. Dunno if that's a mechanic, but it's what I have to do while the Sentinel just keeps on going.

On Karagga I spend roughly half the time sub 50%. I'm not standing in flames, I got 17.5k hp, it's just that the instant I get a drill hit and anything else I'm hurting bad and sometimes have to say the heck with it and step out. I've also been 1-shotted by a rocket on Fabricator. Now in Columni with 2 Rakata pieces this seems extreme. And the whole time my Sentinel guild mate is still plugging away. I accept that he does more damage than me. A lot more. And I'd have to outgear him by miles to keep up with him. But should he also be out-surviving me too? Just seems like a bad trade off. Maybe this is the reason for FOTM, but I'd like to keep playing VIG.

Just wondering why the heck Defensive Roll is eating that much damage when my armor only puts me 6% ahead of him in damage absorption. Couldn't Shien get a defensive roll ability instead of that horrible Narrowed Focus talent? Just seems to me that it's getting ridiculous here.

I'm not going to rant and rave like a child who's toys broke. That's just silly. However the deeper I get into hard modes the more I realize that shoulder to shoulder with Sentinels I'm getting wrecked in terms of damage taken. I I spent about 1/4th of a Bonecrusher fight standing out of melee because I was taking so much burst damage from his stomps and swipes that I simply had to run away and wait for heals. Dunno if that's a mechanic, but it's what I have to do while the Sentinel just keeps on going.

On Karagga I spend roughly half the time sub 50%. I'm not standing in flames, I got 17.5k hp, it's just that the instant I get a drill hit and anything else I'm hurting bad and sometimes have to say the heck with it and step out. I've also been 1-shotted by a rocket on Fabricator. Now in Columni with 2 Rakata pieces this seems extreme. And the whole time my Sentinel guild mate is still plugging away. I accept that he does more damage than me. A lot more. And I'd have to outgear him by miles to keep up with him. But should he also be out-surviving me too? Just seems like a bad trade off. Maybe this is the reason for FOTM, but I'd like to keep playing VIG.

Just wondering why the heck Defensive Roll is eating that much damage when my armor only puts me 6% ahead of him in damage absorption. Couldn't Shien get a defensive roll ability instead of that horrible Narrowed Focus talent? Just seems to me that it's getting ridiculous here.

On your Bonecrusher issue, if you are getting cleaved you need to position yourself better during the fight. I know, its a ****** fight, but with the target of target window you can see if he is on you or not and if he is not, run behind him and let the other person tank him. The pounce damage is raid wide and unavoidable for melee at least.

On the drills from Karagga, I haven't been knocked below 50% from full health. Do you have a sage healer in the group? their aoe heals should be parked so that melee and ranged benefit from it. I find thats all the healing I need in that fight, and the occasional repositioning flames.

Your healers should be shielding you when you get the target on you, and you should use whatever defensive coolddowns you have when you get it. I generally get knocked down to about 40% from the missile and I have the same HP as you and similarly geared. I only get damaged more if I don't quite make it away from the rest of the team.

Either way, I don't think its a case of bad game mechanics or learn to play - I just think with a little bit better positioning and your raid team actually remembering that there is more than just a tank to heal, you'll get past these issues.

If the boss isn't targetting you on the Bonecrusher fight you shoudl not be getting hit by the swipes; if you are, you are doing it wrong and giving your healers a very hard time :)

On Karagga, the only damage you should be taking are drill hits, which are raid-wide and unavoidable, and when you get pulled into those gravity vortexes: that is perfectly normal and there is no way a sentinel would take less damage unless he had a defensive cd up for some reason (and your heavy armour means you take less damage). The only other damage in that fight is fires on the ground, rockets in front, and fires behind him, all of which you should NOT be taking; if you are, you are doing it wrong and giving your healers a hard time :)

On Fabricator, I have yet to see someone get 1shotted by the missile when on full HP on hard mode... I have no idea if defensive roll reduces the damage you take if the missile targets you but its a mute point: if you have the missile, you run away from everyone and only take the hit yourself: if the melee get blown up by the missile,then someone is doing something wrong. This is particularly bad since the person targetted only takes damage, whereas the AOE dmg also stuns, so if your tank is low on hp, has a few stacks of the debuff, and is stunned, its VERY hard on ur healers :)

Also, I don't think sentinels are THAT superior to vigilance dps tbh: I can certainly tell they are higher, and they do alot more damage on boss dummies due to the dummies being 100% hittable all the time with their offhand, but their greatest abilitties by far are the raid-wide damage/movement speed boosts and their cd that turns them pretty much invincible for a few seconds and allowing them to finish an encounter if things get really messy.

Even so, I like the mobility of my Guardian: guardian leap moves me away so i dont need to run and also acts as a threat drop for those over-agroing dps. Moreover, I prefer the feel my Vigilance Guardian with its single saber: its dps is steady and constant, and though the rotation feels alot less complicated than the sentinel, I still find it quite enjoyable and fitting my playstyle: alot less 'rogue' like and more 'warrior' like.

ill go slightly offtopic and say that the guardian dps must be boost at least by 10%. The guardian does alot less damage and has alot less survivability than sentinel.

Granted we get the new healing ability which along with the temp HP boost is nice, but sentinel has the same shield plus a flat 20% which can pop at the same time which also deals damage, and a 99% shield if things get real rough. At the end of round he can just vanish - which is now nerfed from 100% damage invunerability down to 50% and dump all aggro and use that 50% damage reduction from vanish to reduce even more the damage he gets from a dot or aoe effects.