New Assassin tank LF advice

Rotny

i just switched my 'sin over to tank spec the other day, and i filled as much gear as i could with the mods from the heroic dailies on ilum and belsavis, and used spare tionese comms to but the lightsaber and shield. also, if you have the money, you can buy columi earpiece/implants for tanking from the GTN, or the recruit ones will do if you need.

you could always buy the whole recruit set to begin with if you have the money to help make the dailies easier. after that, if you have decent dps/heals, you should be ok to tank most of the hard modes. i tanked D7 and False Emperor wearing mostly daily gear with a bit of columi. with just that gear it pushed my HP to just over 20k with shield/defense/absorb fairly close, if not a bit higher than my columi/rakata jugg friend.

also, 'sin taning is miles of fun. enjoy!

Edited by xJACKTHERIPPERx

At launch I went straight into Hms the moment i hit 50. Didn't have too much trouble tanking and gear dropped for me often and became highly geared quickly. My advice is to get the recruit pvp set and just replace the pvp pieces with columni and tionese from the flashpoints until you have the tier set bonus and then start doing operations.

At launch I went straight into Hms the moment i hit 50. Didn't have too much trouble tanking and gear dropped for me often and became highly geared quickly. My advice is to get the recruit pvp set and just replace the pvp pieces with columni and tionese from the flashpoints until you have the tier set bonus and then start doing operations.

This is pretty much what I'm doing. Since my OP I filled out my gear with recruit stuff and ran HM BT where I got Columi bracers. I'm now almost at 17k health. Running dailies etc.

I think i was just worried about the initial jump into hardmodes and gear requirements.

My survivability seemed ok, but marauders were stealing my aggros!

This is pretty much what I'm doing. Since my OP I filled out my gear with recruit stuff and ran HM BT where I got Columi bracers. I'm now almost at 17k health. Running dailies etc.

I think i was just worried about the initial jump into hardmodes and gear requirements.

My survivability seemed ok, but marauders were stealing my aggros!

Step 1: Get full Columi. Basically fill out your gear as best you can by buying stuff of the GTN (energized gear basically) until you can get full Columi.

Step 2: Once you have full Columi, replace ALL of your enhancements with the enhancement found in the Columi Survivor Helms and Gloves (i.e. replace the chest, boots, legs, and weapon enhancements with the enhancement found in the helm and gloves). This gets rid of all the accuracy and gives you shield/def instead. The enhancement in the helms/gloves is 38 end, 48 shield, 19 defense. This means running HM Kaon and BP often.

Step 3: Do your dailies and pick up 2 Rakata Survivor Implants (you can buy these too if someone is selling), Rakata Eearpiece, and the two Campaign Relics. Implants are first priority.

Step 4: Get Black Hole Comms. If you're not running operations yet, you can get 14 a week from the Rakghoul Weekly and Correlia Weekly. It's going to take you several weeks, but you'll slowly start getting pieces and once you start running Denova (story mode = 28 comms per week) it will pick up. Priority pieces are chest, gloves, helm, earpiece.

Step 5: Start running HM EV/KP and SM Denova. Even when you get your Rakata pieces, you'll need to replace the enhancements in them with the columi enhancements from columi helm/gloves.

Misc: Purchase an orange augmented weapon, put in the mods from whatever weapon you're currently using and pick up either a defense, shield, or absorption augment. You can do this with one piece of armor too since the columi set is 5 pieces, but you only get a bonus for 4 pieces. Pick one piece and pick up an orange augmented piece, transfer over the mods and put in an augment. For belt, you can actually create an orange one that is BETTER than Rakata. Pick up the orange social pilot belt (or any orange belt) and pick up the 58 mod/armoring from the GTN (costs like 500k each on my server). Armoring = Advanced Force Wielder Armoring 25. Mod = Advanced Robust Mod 25B.

Aggro Issues:

This really has to do with your rotation (and possibly spec). Assuming you are 31/0/10, you may need to focus purely on aggro generation until you get geared up. This means using shock and wither every time they are up. They are your two biggest aggro generators. Yes, it's nice to use other things, but if you're having aggro generation issues you HAVE to use these two skills every chance you get. When both are down, thrash until you proc energize and shock again.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Lupious

Also, if you're having aggro trouble, ask people to hold off on the heavy attacks for a few seconds. Also, as said, taunt is your friend. I generally use it after a pull, wither, shock to help hold on for a bit, then again throughout the fight. The more aggro you have when you taunt, the more it generates.

Fake numbers, but true as far as I know from testing: using taunt as an opener generates 200 threat, but if used after you already have 3000 threat, it will generate 1000 threat instead.

Again, fake totally made up numbers, but you see my point.

Anyone can feel free to correct me on that, but that's been my experience with taunt.

Edited by xJACKTHERIPPERx

1.Make sure Darkward is up at all times.

2.Wither gives a your mob a debuff -5% dmg 5% less dmg is really alot. But it's AoE so watch out so you dont break crowd controlled targets.

2.Discharge gives a your mob a debuff -5% accuracy 5% less accuracy is a boost to survivability. But it's AoE so watch out so you dont break crowd controlled targets.

3. Shock is good for aggro management, so is wither and force pull.

4. If your are going to use mass mind control, make a quick estimate on how many targets that are going to hit on you and use defensive cooldowns before activating it. Force shroud or deflection or tank relic.

5. A good start to build aggro is force pull (if possible), mindcontrol, wither,shock, discharge,shock/wither and then force lightning with 3stacks of harness darkness.

!! Try to learn early to not be life depending on mindcontrol. In end-game content mindcontrol will be used for switching tank targets and should never be "on cooldown".

Good luck with tanking!

Step 1: Get full Columi. Basically fill out your gear as best you can by buying stuff of the GTN (energized gear basically) until you can get full Columi.

Step 2: Once you have full Columi, replace ALL of your enhancements with the enhancement found in the Columi Survivor Helms and Gloves (i.e. replace the chest, boots, legs, and weapon enhancements with the enhancement found in the helm and gloves). This gets rid of all the accuracy and gives you shield/def instead. The enhancement in the helms/gloves is 38 end, 48 shield, 19 defense. This means running HM Kaon and BP often.

Step 3: Do your dailies and pick up 2 Rakata Survivor Implants (you can buy these too if someone is selling), Rakata Eearpiece, and the two Campaign Relics. Implants are first priority.

Step 4: Get Black Hole Comms. If you're not running operations yet, you can get 14 a week from the Rakghoul Weekly and Correlia Weekly. It's going to take you several weeks, but you'll slowly start getting pieces and once you start running Denova (story mode = 28 comms per week) it will pick up. Priority pieces are chest, gloves, helm, earpiece.

Step 5: Start running HM EV/KP and SM Denova. Even when you get your Rakata pieces, you'll need to replace the enhancements in them with the columi enhancements from columi helm/gloves.

Misc: Purchase an orange augmented weapon, put in the mods from whatever weapon you're currently using and pick up either a defense, shield, or absorption augment. You can do this with one piece of armor too since the columi set is 5 pieces, but you only get a bonus for 4 pieces. Pick one piece and pick up an orange augmented piece, transfer over the mods and put in an augment. For belt, you can actually create an orange one that is BETTER than Rakata. Pick up the orange social pilot belt (or any orange belt) and pick up the 58 mod/armoring from the GTN (costs like 500k each on my server). Armoring = Advanced Force Wielder Armoring 25. Mod = Advanced Robust Mod 25B.

Aggro Issues:

This really has to do with your rotation (and possibly spec). Assuming you are 31/0/10, you may need to focus purely on aggro generation until you get geared up. This means using shock and wither every time they are up. They are your two biggest aggro generators. Yes, it's nice to use other things, but if you're having aggro generation issues you HAVE to use these two skills every chance you get. When both are down, thrash until you proc energize and shock again.

Hope this helps.

:ph_good_post:

• 2 weeks later...