Breathing Life Back Into SWTOR (devs please read)

chronykle

I am a diehard Star Wars fan and I had been looking forward to a great game. In reality I did not expect it right away but I did expect it to be good. Am I satisfied?

In a way yes I do like the game as it stands but I expect more. So what does it mean to expect more? In many MMO's you get patches and most often little communication from the company. I have seen MMO companies communicate and do the weekly here is what we are looking at in the future. They put out the big patches every 3 months or so and it keeps some players playing.

What would I do differently to improve this game? I would be doing smaller patches at a more rapid pace. I would put out sections of the large patches out with some small event and bam you have some instant gratification. I don't know that MMO players continue playing when the day is done. So as an MMO player we rack up hours upon hours of play time. So some speed through the content and they get bored.

Sure the legacy system is great but it is not enough to keep this game afloat if it is expected for the long term. MMO companies need to understand that as players play and they get bored they move onto the next game. But most importantly they communicate. So as they move onto the next game they talk about how bad the previous game was and in turn they spread by word of mouth (The most important form of advertising) how bad their previous experience was.

How will SWTOR fare? Well I have moved to another game (TERA) and the community was HUGE. Not that I won't come back because I do enjoy the game. But I think the SWTOR developers and advertising teams need to understand is the word about SWTOR is not good at the moment. Can they change this? Yes I believe so. I believe that if they were to release smaller patches at a more rapid pace it would allow players to feel they are always getting something new. TERA by any stretch of the word is not great. But it has tons of content and feeds the MMO players need to feel as if they are getting something new and exciting. With games suchas GW2 on the horizon which is free to play it may bury SWTOR. Then SWTOR becomes one of the dinosaurs that never lived up to expectation.

I hope the developers read this and they come to an understanding that they are rapidly disappointing the MMO players and not only that they may very well be ruining SWTOR. It reminds me of the day that SWG switched game direction and tore down a great game to literally just shambles.

I guess one of the most important things to remember is that 3 months at work for a developer may seem to go fast but 3 months to a player seems like a lifetime. No matter if they allow play in Asia or Europe if the word is bad about SWTOR it will never attract the amount of players that it expects.

SWTOR is a very solid game. A few minor bugs, but they are no longer unbearable. The one true thing it needs for saving is server merges/transfers. Its a difficult game. Its what makes it awesome. So its understandable that the massive population died out after a while. Now the dedicated players that love the game are sitting on the fleet waiting hours for ques, and not enough people to run an ops. Ranked pvp would be easier to implement with the system, and many would have all the reason they need to continue playing.

However, I will not renew my subscription to check back to see if they got it right if my month runs out with 4 people on the fleet.

SWTOR is a very solid game. A few minor bugs, but they are no longer unbearable. The one true thing it needs for saving is server merges/transfers. Its a difficult game. Its what makes it awesome. So its understandable that the massive population died out after a while. Now the dedicated players that love the game are sitting on the fleet waiting hours for ques, and not enough people to run an ops. Ranked pvp would be easier to implement with the system, and many would have all the reason they need to continue playing.

However, I will not renew my subscription to check back to see if they got it right if my month runs out with 4 people on the fleet.

One of the major issues in this game is half the classes are worthless in raids, they drastically nerfed half the classes and made them useless, at one point my Merc was top DPS now im lucky if i can out dps a tank, more then 80% of my guild left cause of this, it sucks, really bad

OP: Very good ideas and I do agree with your point of view in regards to SWTOR.

They really do need to get their butts in gear and move a bit faster with things. Mainly the server transfers. Waiting until early summer is not helping things now. I've lost quite a few friends to other mmo's over the past few months. I have the patience of a lion and have been here since the early beta-tests. I'm trying to ride it out and find other things to enjoy (in game) while I wait for a server transfer. I'm hopeful they'll change the server transfer schedule to an earlier date. I could go on and on about top level game content, open space combat, etc, etc, etc........but folks can just find that on a hundred other threads.