Captain Obvious PvP Tips!

mercinarymaniac

Tired of one team being completely rolled because folks don't know or practice some basic principals. If your and your team are not doing the following, you are going to have a miserable experience playing against a team that knows this stuff.

TIPS:

1. Focus fire : When you come upon a battle, don't just pick a random target or purposefully choose a full health target. The most effective way to victory is to target an enemy who your teammates are already attacking. This makes a huge difference.

2. Healers : Healers cannot go unchecked. They need to be focus fired down or they need to be crowd controlled & interrupted. Unchecked healers on large fights will easily sway the outcome in the healers favor.

3. Organization : Don't just charge at a random objective after you die. Open your map to see where your team is and join them. You should generally move to a point you control and leave with your team to secure another point (leaving some to defend or at least one person to call incoming attacks)

4. Teamwork : Use buffs more than at the start of a WZ. Use your abilities to aid others. For example, throw out guards and taunts, use CC to try to save your teammates from dying. Do what is best for the team, not what will inflate your personal stats or get you medals....those things should come naturally.

5. Persistence : Do not give up hope. If you give up you sentence the rest of your team to carry your dead weight and it usually results in others giving up. Ultimately resulting in a WZ that is no fun. If you are going to loose, go down swinging. Talk to your team and organize attacks or defenses. DO NOT just all stack on the one point you control to rack up some defense medals before defeat.

6. CC & CC some more : Use your stuns, use your mez, use your root. Do not just let your cool downs sit un-used.

If your opponent is not under some form of CC and they do not have a full resolve bar. Hit them with something. If one team is constantly flinging out 4 second stuns, 10 second mezs, and rooting melee classes and the other team isn't, who do you think will win? Try to time them well, but given any 10 seconds in a battle, there are several prime opportunities to put CC to use.

(be careful not to waste your CC on some one who is already CC'd or has a full resolve bar)

7. Relics : Get some and use them! Use them all the time! Are you about to unload AoE's into a group of enemies? Relic. Are you about to Unload into a healthy target? Relic. Are you about to spam heal your buns off? Relic. They have short cool downs and you can start most of your fights out by clicking on one to gain an advantage over that poor SOB who doesn't use his.

-HUTBALL-

1. Throw the ball : Put that icon on your hot bar and start using it. Running the ball is slow and painful. When ever you can pass it to some one closer to the enemies goal. Always remember to pass it up to the ramps, out of the pits, and over the fire hazards.

2. Give it to the warriors / knights : Those classes that can jump to enemies can move the ball extremely fast, try to put it in their hands. If you are a jumping class then be ready to target enemies on the upper ramps or goal area and quickly jump to them before they come down. Do this if you have the ball, or the ball carrier is on the way so he can pass it to you.

3. Throw it away : When you have the ball on your side of the field the enemy can just kill you and take it back. Better to throw the ball to an empty area on the ground than die and give it back to the enemy team. Do this when the ball is dangerously close to your goal or when your on your side of the field about to die with no team mate to pass to.

4. Getting the ball back : Stun and root the enemy ball carrier, roots will work even when they are full resolve CC immune. Dog pile on the carrier, if he has healers then spare some CC for them too, but every one should obviously focus fire the ball carrier. Always try to lock them down on top of fire traps.

5. Keep your ramps and goal clean : Be sure to kill enemies who are waiting on your ramps or goal area, even when your team has the ball. Keep these areas clear to prevent a quick point from smart passes from the enemy team.

6. Assisting the ball carrier : Get in front of the ball carrier, even if you are a tank or a healer. Move as far ahead of your carrier as you can while still guarding / healing. If things go south he can pass to you. If you are DPS then get yourself to a good position to catch a pass. Utilize and beware of knock backs use them to fling people off ramps, or into the fire and try to position yourself so that it doesn't happen to you.

7. The map : Use it, it shows where your team is, it shows where the ball is. This is very vital info.

Thank you. Please feel free to chime in with more warzone tips for the PvP impaired.

Edited by mercinarymaniac

I just swapped factions to play with some friends on canderous ordo and my goodness the republic is horrible. All day long loosing streaks and teams of complete fail ruin the warzone experience. The republic players lack the knowledge of PvP basics, so let me educate the general public here.

TIPS:

1. Focus fire : When you come upon a battle, don't just pick a random target or purposefully choose a full health target. The most effective way to victory is to target an enemy who your teammates are already attacking. This makes a huge difference.

2. Healers : Healers cannot go unchecked. They need to be focus fired down or they need to be crowd controlled & interrupted. Unchecked healers on large fights will easily sway the outcome in the healers favor.

3. Organization : Don't just charge at a random objective after you die. Open your map to see where your team is and join them. You should generally move to a point you control and leave with your team to secure another point (leaving some to defend or at least one person to call incoming attacks)

4. Teamwork : Use buffs more than at the start of a WZ. Use your abilities to aid others. For example, throw out guards and taunts, use CC to try to save your teammates from dying. Do what is best for the team, not what will inflate your personal stats or get you medals....those things should come naturally.

5. Persistence : Do not give up hope. If you give up you sentence the rest of your team to carry your dead weight and it usually results in others giving up. Ultimately resulting in a WZ that is no fun. If you are going to loose, go down swinging. Talk to your team and organize attacks or defenses. DO NOT just all stack on the one point you control to rack up some defense medals before defeat.

6. CC & CC some more : Use your stuns, use your mez, use your root. Do not just let your cool downs sit un-used.

If your opponent is not under some form of CC and they do not have a full resolve bar. Hit them with something. If one team is constantly flinging out 4 second stuns, 10 second mezs, and rooting melee classes and the other team isn't, who do you think will win? Try to time them well, but given any 10 seconds in a battle, there are several prime opportunities to put CC to use.

(be careful not to waste your CC on some one who is already CC'd or has a full resolve bar)

7. Relics : Get some and use them! Use them all the time! Are you about to unload AoE's into a group of enemies? Relic. Are you about to Unload into a healthy target? Relic. Are you about to spam heal your buns off? Relic. They have short cool downs and you can start most of your fights out by clicking on one to gain an advantage over that poor SOB who doesn't use his.

Thank you. Please feel free to chime in with more warzone tips for the PvP impaired.

This is the problem with PvP in general...

1. Nice Zerg, way to show/have skill. After all you don't need it you've got 8 people beating on 1 person. If your team is really good you can zerg down 2 people at once! :rolleyes:

2. See point 1.

3. See point 1. Yes, join your team because heaven forbid they can't do anything with out you or you without them...

4. Agreed

5. There is a point of no return, once you hit that...you might as well stack up.

6. This should be, use CC correctly.

7. Per captain obvious tips...lol, this is obvious.

Captain Obvious - hutball tips

- stay in front of the ball carrier, not behind.

-when the ball carrier jump in the pit, dont jump behind him, stay up in the bridge so he can pass the ball to you.

-pass the ball.

Edited by Occultsaga

My only tips would be:

1. Take personal responsibility and show some initiative instead of ceaselessly whining about the perceived failure of others. Try communicating with your PUG team, chances are that although initially only a couple will listen it lets you make sure the left node is guarded properly and once your team starts performing well the rest will start following your orders because, shock horror, they want to win too. Just try not to be too obnoxious and most people are willing to listen.

2. Don't expect miracles. If you're on a pure PUG against 2 premades then obviously it's an uphill fight, just enjoy the game for what it is and look forward to the next fight.

For what it's worth I don't fight in pre-mades (by choice, mine not theirs!) and have PvP'ed on both imp and rep and of the two I much prefer rep PUG players. Imps tend to be the people who choose the strongest side to compensate for weak individual play or weak character, the people who persist in trying to win against the odds by choice always end up being the better group of players since struggle breeds evolution.

I'll provide 1. Stuns, believe or not actually exist. So the next time a ball carrier dies while getting choked do not blame em. those valuable seconds spent typing profanities could have been used to get back to the middle

This should be shown on the loading screen of every warzone.

/bump

They really should, especially with the excessive loading times people have, there will be no excuse for being painfully bad!

I disagree with number 6 so much. Because of the resolve system being what it is, unless you have a specific reason as to why you're using your stun/mezz DO NOT USE IT I can't tell you how many times my pull at the huttball goaline doesn't go through because someone mezzes the ball carrier (***?) and fills their resolve.

If you don't have a reason to stun, to just stun for the sake of "it's off cooldown." Especially against Op healers and mauraders.

I would add the below to your guide and bump the other numbers down accordingly.

Huttball

2) Use your snares and roots if you have them. Snares and roots don't effect resolve. You CAN NOT be snare or root immune unless you have an ability like Force Shroud that prevents tech or force abilities from hitting you.

Sad part is that most people who pvp, are well rather challenged to say the least in aspect of doing it.

They need pvp boot camp for like 4 months before they actually set foot in one that would send you back to the dinging post .

Now granted there are lots of folks who know what they are doing and really try hard, I give super kudos to those players.

Keep up that good work.

The others well lets just say I wish i had a rancor pit. And the Rancor would have to be on Jenny Craig in just a month.:rak_03:

TIPS:

I stopped reading after #1 - 9/10 times I come upon a battle with my team focusing down a DPS rather than the healer.

Honestly all these tips can be wrong depending on the situation. That's not to say they're bad tips but it's not captain obvious tips if it can be wrong (and quite often they can be).

It's hard to come up with foolproof stuff but I'll try:

1. If you're the last person to leave a node, you should turn back and return to the node.

2. Having 5 guys cap an objective at the same time doesn't make it go faster if you're not on Novare Coast.

3. Don't fight on the attacker team's respawn in Voidstar once the bridge/force field is down. Use /stuck if necessary.

Thank you captain obvious!

Sorry, that was litterly the PERFECT time to use that one..

And I have to say, I used to be awful at pvp. Assassin. Sheer, awful. I wasn't a huge fan of it, but was a nice break from simple missions.

Anyways, I started using some of these tips, (found them on my own, no offense) and I'm doing much better.

I love getting medal after medal when I run directly into the main battle and activate my force shield, my standard shield, and then THE RELIC. I turn on "mass mind control" (which is like my version of group "taunt") and everyone's on me, and I won't die. And right before death, I'll use a warzone medpac, use group knockback, and try to kill as many as I can before I go down! (which is usually none.)

Anyways, these tips are pretty good. I honestly wouldn't have though of throwing the ball to a warrior/knight so they can force leap/charge. Ive tried force speed, but still slow.

Thank you! This might help me get off level 3 valor from my recent-level-50-guardian!

well, maybe this is obvious as well.... this should be stickied, vital simple information and if some newb comes along has an idea of what to do... and hopefully reduce some of the n:rak_02::rak_02:b population

It doesnt take 5 people to cap a node. I see this over and over again 5 people capping then one stray opposing player runs up aoe everyone resets. This gives time for reinforcements to steam roll my team. At this point in /sit.

In a perfect world one player caps, everyone else watches for incoming and bursts/cc preventing the interrupt.

What you really meant to say was

2. Healers : Healers can go entirely unchecked even though we have taken the time to mark them, as well as frantically call out in OPs who the healer is and that you should be attacking them. Have no fear though DPS Hero, you will gladly get your numbers padding killing somebody getting heals nonstop.

Hutball tips :

1 - If their ball handler jumps into YOUR pit, you better start looking for the stealthy on your end-zone or the sage/sorc getting into position for a rescue. If its a vanguard/ptech (tank) or warrior class, do not stand on the edge.

2 - Don't CC without reason. Its frustrating when people fill a resolve bar for a 4 second stun that accomplishes nothing. It prevents more powerful controls like grapple and force push, or a well timed stun on the firepit.

Edited by Sowwy

Thank you for your replies. I added some stuff already and will continue to add and edit stuff while i am bored at work. Tip 6 probably could have been worded better, i'll tweak it tomorrow. The main point is to not forget about them as bad players often do. Waiting until the perfect moment can often be silly because it may not come. During a medium or large scale battle, you should be able to look around and find a use for your CC within a few seconds...while still beating on that poor sap your engaged with.

Thank you for your replies. I added some stuff already and will continue to add and edit stuff while i am bored at work. Tip 6 probably could have been worded better, i'll tweak it tomorrow. The main point is to not forget about them as bad players often do. Waiting until the perfect moment can often be silly because it may not come. During a medium or large scale battle, you should be able to look around and find a use for your CC within a few seconds...while still beating on that poor sap your engaged with.

Its not about waiting for perfect moments, its about optimal moments, of which there are a metric crap ton. We can't script them, because its dependent on the current context of the match, but the bottom line is - discriminate use of controls is one such detail that separates the decent from the great pvpers.

Improper CC is one of the more common mistakes I see in the WZ, and it can often cause more problems than not, especially in hutball.

But good effort on the thread. I'd like to see this grow as I"m far too lazy to write the PvP for Dummies(swtor) guide I keep thinking about.

Edited by Sowwy