Post your opinion on the current PvP food chain

Ich_Bin

I remember in January we had a thread on this forum where everyone could post their opinion on which class was the strongest and which was the weakest in PvP.

Fun fact: Back then the classes that were rated the weakest were Sniper and *drumroll* Marauder :D. It just shows that most people had not figured out how to play their class well and did not even have full Champion gear.

Now I think it would be fun to start a new thread to see what the general consensus on class balance is right now. I'll go first.

Top:

- Tank Assassin (dps gear), Marauder, Juggernaut (dps gear), Powertech (dps gear)

Middle:

- Sniper

- DPS Assassin, DPS Sorcerer, DPS Mercenary, All healers (Operative > Sorc = Merc)

Bottom:

- DPS Operative, full tanks (tank gear + tank spec)

Disclaimer:

1. Please keep the insults and QQs to a minimum. This is supposed to be a fun thread and everyone should be entitled to their own personal opinion.

2. I enjoy PvP in this game and think the class balance is fairly decent (even though I think we had the best balance at release and it has gotten slightly worse with every patch since then)

3. My rating is based on my opinion on "high level PvP play" in a warzone (not 1v1). For example when unexperienced players compete with each other the value of a DPS Merc would go up and the value of a Marauder would go down.

Edited by Ich_Bin

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

God Tier: Operative (Healer & DPS).

Mid Tier: Tanksin, Pyro PT, Sorc (Madness), Sniper

Low Tier: Marauder, Juggernaut, Merc.

Reasons:

Operative - ridiculous healing while also kiting away anything that could actually kill them. Beyond absurd burst as a dps.

Tanksin - Good damage, can slow down a cap for like 20 sec because they take so long to die, then they can restealth and pop aoe.

Pyro PT - Kill anything in 4 seconds.

Sorc - Amazing kiting ability and huge ranged dps potential (can get away from melee, can kill other ranged). Healing is still pretty reasonable too.

Sniper - Massive damage, so many ways to deal with melee. Can stand toe to toe with other ranged.

Mara/Jugg - Melee is weak in general because every class that you could otherwise kill has at least 1 knockback, 1-2 stuns and or 1-2 roots.

Merc - Healers can still be pretty good if well geared, they cant kite as well as other ranged and their damage isnt as high either.

Food chain really doesn't matter when it comes to coordinated mass PvP.

If you got Tanks protecting Healers, Healers healing everyone, DPS focus firing, and people not playing grab *** with objectives than you got a powerful fighting force. If the game was all 1v1's than Marauders and Shadows would probably dominate, but its not like that.

Food chain really doesn't matter when it comes to coordinated mass PvP.

If you got Tanks protecting Healers, Healers healing everyone, DPS focus firing, and people not playing grab *** with objectives than you got a powerful fighting force. If the game was all 1v1's than Marauders and Shadows would probably dominate, but its not like that.

If there are classes that can do well enough to keep 2 or 3 other players busy, that is a huge advantage for that team though.

I remember in January we had a thread on this forum where everyone could post their opinion on which class was the strongest and which was the weakest in PvP.

Fun fact: Back then the classes that were rated the weakest were Sniper and *drumroll* Marauder :D. It just shows that most people had not figured out how to play their class well and did not even have full Champion gear.

Now I think it would be fun to start a new thread to see what the general consensus on class balance is right now. I'll go first.

Top:

- Tank Assassin (dps gear), Marauder, Juggernaut (dps gear), Powertech (dps gear)

Middle:

- Sniper

- DPS Assassin, DPS Sorcerer, DPS Mercenary, All healers (Operative > Sorc = Merc)

Bottom:

Disclaimer:

1. Please keep the insults and QQs to a minimum. This is supposed to be a fun thread and everyone should be entitled to their own personal opinion.

2. I enjoy PvP in this game and think the class balance is fairly decent (even though I think we had the best balance at release and it has gotten slightly worse with every patch since then)

3. My rating is based on my opinion on "high level PvP play" in a warzone (not 1v1). For example when unexperienced players compete with each other the value of a DPS Merc would go up and the value of a Marauder would go down.

Hard to say if I agree or not.

For me personally, i think the exact opposite if we are using medals earned as an indicator of success ?

My defence specced tank, albeit yet to hit L50, has far more success than my Seer or Infiltrator, regularly topping the table, dying very little and on occassion topping the healing table too....god knows what the others are doing sometimes!. I have to say, I find it hard to NOT gain medals as a tank.

My Seer is decked out in BM gear and has historically done quite well, but since 1.2, although I don't think it is bad a some make out, I have found it less fun, ergo, I play the toon less.

As for the Shadow, I just find DPS dull and boring so she gets little play time now.

We will see when I hit 50 on the Guardian as to how it goes then, but i don't foresee big issues, I mean, you can essentially have 5500 WZ comms waiting for you to spend (3.5k rwz and 2k wz), which I am nearly at now, add a few recruit pieces for critcal areas and away we go!

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

Let´s turn it into a "what setup for a 8 player premade?" thread.

So here is my team setup:

group 1:

Sin Tank, Jug Tank, Pyro, Operative Healer

group 2:

Sin Tank or Dec, Marauder, Operative (conceal/medic hybrid), Sorc Healer

For me personally, i think the exact opposite if we are using medals earned as an indicator of success ?

I don't really think that medals can be taken as an indicator of success. Tanks have always gained medals very easiely while healers have a much harder time to do the same. So are tanks more important than healers in general? I don't think so.

Top tier has to be healers in PvE gear who whine and refuse to leave the start area if someone doesn't guard them.

Otherwise, I've found hybrid Powertech (shield + pyro) to be surprisingly good- prior to SWTOR, I never PvP'd much, because I suck. But I'm able to top the leaderboard sometimes and rack up decent numbers (aside from damage.)

(snip)

You placed Operative DPS at the top (your reasoning: "ridiculous burst") and Marauders at the bottom (your reason: "melee sucks")

Both are melee burst classes. So I fail to see how your argument makes any sense...

Top:

Middle:

- Sniper

Bottom:

Operative healer needs to be moved into top tier, its light-years ahead of other healers.

Jugg in DPS gear? Which spec? Tank spec in DPS gear can only be middle tier not top, ive played tank and vig with my same half BM, half WH gear and tank spec falls off considerably, even though its still very effective.

For Sorc i would add the caveat that Corruption > Lighting if we are talking full specs.

I would agree with you about operative being bottom tier, however, if you ever run into a OP/Scoundrel with full WH augmented (i know, they are very rare) you will realise that the class has been nerfed because its new balance is full WH and nothing below. Full WH Op/Scoundrel is middle tier at the lowest- you just wont see many of them.

Edited by AKfourtyseven

So are tanks more important than healers in general? I don't think so.

Since 1.2, kind of (although i understand what you were saying).

A healer (who isnt Operative/mirror) without a tank to protect them now is dead in 4-6 seconds.

Game over.

I don't really think that medals can be taken as an indicator of success. Tanks have always gained medals very easiely while healers have a much harder time to do the same. So are tanks more important than healers in general? I don't think so.

That is not what I said, not sure how you can misinterpret so poorly.

The topic is about food chain, what is currently the best performing, not your favourite classes, and currently, out of the ones I play, one being full heal specced sage, I find life easier on the tank, I win more, I get more medals etc etc, so as far as food chain goes, my tank is currently higher up it than my healer.

i also did post on my original that as a tank it seems harder to NOT get medals than it is to do so. In my eyes, there is an issue with the reward mechanics, as I work a lot harder as my sage, for less rewards.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

If there are classes that can do well enough to keep 2 or 3 other players busy, that is a huge advantage for that team though.

Too many people tunnel vision. They'll beat on one healer continuously and ignore the fact there is a tank sitting there taunting and pulling them off or another healer is healing them up. It's even more LOL when you got 4 DPS chasing 1 healer around a pillar.

Edited by ComeAndSee

You placed Operative DPS at the top (your reasoning: "ridiculous burst") and Marauders at the bottom (your reason: "melee sucks")

Both are melee burst classes. So I fail to see how your argument makes any sense...

Well, you can't really kite an Operative DPS because you lose so much HP very quickly while stunned. Any good OP dps can put out 400k+ damage easily and top the charts.

Well, you can't really kite an Operative DPS because you lose so much HP very quickly while stunned. Any good OP dps can put out 400k+ damage easily and top the charts.

Leaps really are the best abilities in game.

Distance closer, free root, and on relatively short cooldowns with 3 dimensional capabilities.

Leaps really are the best abilities in game.

Distance closer, free root, and on relatively short cooldowns with 3 dimensional capabilities.

I still prefer pull in pvp matchs. There a lot uses for that such as pull them in hutball away from the goal, pull allies towards the goals and pulling them into environmental hazards . Pull them away from nodes. Pulling opponents into my group soo my team can rip him/her apart. Its alot better then leaping into a hazards and leaping into grps that will tear me apart, also has 3 dimensional capabilities.

Edited by EugeneYap

Top Tier:

Tank/DPS Shadow/Assasin- doesn't matter which one they both easily cause massive damage to an unsuspecting victim and have pretty good utility ability

Healer Operative- healing while kiting (not complaining its just good for them)

Pryotech/DPS Trooper (i forget name of that spec)- though not as surprising as Shadows/Sins they are good at quick killing

Middle Tier:

Sentinels- haven't seen many Maras in a while but Sents are still going strong with fast and high bursts

DPS Sorc/Sage- Kiting+Utility Abilities

Snipers- class name explains it

Mercenaries- healer: pretty good healing (not operative healing playingstyle but good); DPS: pretty good DPS (not pryotech powertech status though)

Lower Tier:

Tank Powertechs/Vanguards- IMO outclasses by utility, DPS, and general style of Shadow/Sin

Healer Sorc/Sages- just not on par with above classes though its not bad entirely. 1 good healer can make a difference in match

***this is based on what I've seen on my server so I don't include some classes (juggs/guardians, smugglers based, maras) because too few actually PvP on my server anymore.

Top tier has to be healers in PvE gear who whine and refuse to leave the start area if someone doesn't guard them.

Otherwise, I've found hybrid Powertech (shield + pyro) to be surprisingly good- prior to SWTOR, I never PvP'd much, because I suck. But I'm able to top the leaderboard sometimes and rack up decent numbers (aside from damage.)

you fool there is no shield/pyro hybrid since that got nerfed in 1.2 i would be very surprised to see any pyro/assault using a shield

God Tier: Operative (Healer & DPS).

Mid Tier: Tanksin, Pyro PT, Sorc (Madness), Sniper

Low Tier: Marauder, Juggernaut, Merc.

Reasons:

Operative - ridiculous healing while also kiting away anything that could actually kill them. Beyond absurd burst as a dps.

Tanksin - Good damage, can slow down a cap for like 20 sec because they take so long to die, then they can restealth and pop aoe.

Pyro PT - Kill anything in 4 seconds.

Sorc - Amazing kiting ability and huge ranged dps potential (can get away from melee, can kill other ranged). Healing is still pretty reasonable too.

Sniper - Massive damage, so many ways to deal with melee. Can stand toe to toe with other ranged.

Mara/Jugg - Melee is weak in general because every class that you could otherwise kill has at least 1 knockback, 1-2 stuns and or 1-2 roots.

Merc - Healers can still be pretty good if well geared, they cant kite as well as other ranged and their damage isnt as high either.

Did you really say marauders and juggs are the lowest of the food chain? This is a PvP discussion remember. in hutball alone, they are top tier with leaps and DCD's....

I know people bash on DPS operatives, even Ops bash on themselves, but as a Sage healer I'm more afraid of a DPS OP than any class save Pyro PT.

It's not that a Marauder or Assassin can't kill me, it's just they take a bit longer and thus I have time to run over to someone to get help. Even DPS Assassins seem to be less dangerous than DPS OPS.

As far as snipers and dps sorcs they can't really kill you as you can always run away and the first isnt very mobile while the second isnt bursty enough to overcome your healing. Same goes with Pyro Mercs and DPS Juggs, both can keep you busy but don't have the damage to kill you solo unless you screw up or you are far from your friends for a very long time.

If I had to rate them vs. a healing sorc, and please understand I dont have to charge any of these classes but kite them instead, I would place Pyro PT and Concealment OP up top. They just hit too hard with their armor/defense bypassing damage.

The Concealment OP moreso fearsome because they pop on you from stealth while you at least see the PT coming towards you. If anything, in practice the PT is more successful because if they get to you you not only have to get away but get out of LOS or out of 30 range while from the OP if you can get some distance and a slow on them you are mostly safe. The OP just seems more fearsome because when they pop on you, you have to react instantly to get away. I guess it's the surprise they bring with them.

Edited by LancelotOC

Depends how you are defining your food chain, the ability to kill lower? If that is the case I fail to see why DPS sorc should be anywhere except the bottom in anyones list. Great DPS in PVE though as it can just keep churning out the damage over a long sustained period.

And healers should never be anywhere except the bottom either.

Top - Mara, OP, Sniper, Assassin

Mid - Everything else not in top/bottom

Bot - Sorc and all healers

If you aren't heal specced and you let a healer kill you, you are truly a bad player. Right now you can't look past Mara, OP can do decent burst, snipers are good against Mara. Assassin... well they can do virtually everything, has most of the utility most get excited about on a Sorc, stealth, survivability and actually can kill stuff (unlike most sorcs unless they have room and time to kite).

you fool there is no shield/pyro hybrid since that got nerfed in 1.2 i would be very surprised to see any pyro/assault using a shield

uh, so you're saying i don't exist? that's an interesting gambit. i'll have to try that one in future discussions- "You do not exist, your argument is invalid."