Ion overload and supercharged Ion cell

gabusan

When tanking, I am seriously considering the effectiveness of putting three points of your skill tree into Ion overload and Supercharged Ion cell. The extra damage of Supercharged ion cell seems to be negligible, and it is reduced by armor, and I wonder if having just one point in Ion overload isnt just as effective, or almost has effective as putting 2 points. After all, even if 50% of the time you dont apply the shock effect on your target with Stockstrike, other ranged attacks have a chance to apply it, so it is often redundant. The amount of time the target remains "unshocked" with just 1 point in Ion overload should be minimal, and it is not as if the damage from Ion overload was so good to begin with.

On the other hand, putting 2 points into Brutal impact might be a better choice. There are phases in an operation that require a lot of damage to be done quickly before the boss defenses are back online, and it is worth to consider if maybe a strong High impact bolt at the precise moment of the boss weakness would be more suitable for that? After all, we have a 60% reduction to armor with Focused impact, so making sure high impact bolt hits as hard as it can might be better than the benefits from Supercharged ion cell?

What do you think about this?

Considering Ion is not doing appropriate damage compared to what it's supposed to (At least based on the tooltip). Damage INcrease talents add maybe 20 or so damage to the attack. Not worth the points and best used else where.

Considering Ion is not doing appropriate damage compared to what it's supposed to (At least based on the tooltip). Damage INcrease talents add maybe 20 or so damage to the attack. Not worth the points and best used else where.

strange. ion cell for me dos roughly the damage it is supposed to do, as the tooltip says, well at least with 2 points in it. but maybe i miss something. when i have time i could look more carefully on it.

Well, without at least the points in Ion Overload, you don't have a reliable way to trigger HiB, so Brutal Impact wouldn't really be worth it. But the usefulness of Supercharged Ion Cell is very much debatable, especially since you'll frequently re-apply the DoT before those three seconds would help.

All tanking builds I have seen use three points on Ion overload and Supercharged ion cell instead of two points in Brutal impact and one in Ion overload. So maybe someone out there already did the math and discovered that going all the way into Supercharged ion cell was better?

strange. ion cell for me dos roughly the damage it is supposed to do, as the tooltip says, well at least with 2 points in it. but maybe i miss something. when i have time i could look more carefully on it.

Did they ninja fix it for Vanguards? It's still bugged for PTs. My tooltip says 700 but only does 169 damage...