PvP - What YOU should be doing in warzones

DarthMaulUK

No it should just be the slinger, and posting to have 2 people guard an off node in a thread trying to help new players is adding to the problem not helping anything. Please see the OP. If you call when you are attacked there should never be a need for 2 guards.

My 2 cents for the thread now. Be aware of your situation. Know what is going on in your warzone. If you are a mid with 3-7 of your team mates, and there are only 3-4 enemies there, where do you think the rest of them are?

If someone tells you they are going to guard an off node it is your duty as a team member to know their toon name and where they are located on your ops frame. Watch there health and be moving towards them before they even have a chance to call.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my opinion when it comes to class roles.

Dps, other than focusing on healers, your other main goal is to cap objectives/defend objectives. Healers will be too occupied healing people and kiting to have time to cap. Just as tanks will be preoccupied sticking with your healers keeping them from harms way, also tanks should also be focusing on interrupting opposing caps in WZ such as Alderaan and Voidstar. Stealth non healing classes should constantly try for objectives, burning down one man defenders to grab that quick cap.

It's not all about numbers...

What would be nice if there were an individual end game stat windows per wz which contain objective information such as:

VS: interrupted cap, defused, planted, defended.

HB: Assist, scored, saves (killed Ball carrier).

Ald: Capped, interrupted cap, defense, offense, assisted cap.

Getting the idea here? That way people can actually see what people are actively doing during the warzone, rather than watch DPS classes run around like mad people trying to get huge numbers.

Well, that's my opinion for what it's worth.

Saint_Bailey I sign your suggestions for new stats, the weird medal rewarding gave us killchase/tunnel vision on the low healther, Damage chasers and ultimately Arenas - What a shocker !

This is a good post DarthMaulUK, I gave it 5 stars, partly for me being nasty to ya too. In the Rant U posted earlier.

I feel and share your frustration . . . But this is constructive

On roles I would like to add the following;

- Stealthers are by far the best cappers / a good stealthcapper rarely get recognition, since people tend to deem damage as the only viable source for how to recognize a good pvper. But as a good stealth capper u need to fight the urge to killchase/tunnel vision on the low healther/ and most important learn to ignore the ignorant comment on damage. And remain cool and dare to cap when your friends keep the guard/s busy - the chance that the guard is bored and just want to, that's right, killchase/tunnel vision on the low healther and get that damage ticker up before the WZ ends so he won't get those comments in opschat, will most of the time work in your favor. But who will guard the node then, if not the stealther, you might wonder, well for one as said above; gunslingers in hideout got perma stealth detectors ...

As for Tanks, well the task is simple, you got three kind of those on repside and the equivalent Imp side; Guardian tank, shadowtank, and Vanguard tank with all the same four tasks 1)protect - your healer, 2) harass - their healer(and this is a topic all by it self) and some tanks are better at nr 1 others at nr 2, but task nr three all tanks must know and do ----> Taunt, agro call it what you will but do it always>> single---> group---> put your guard on your healer or if he is guarded ---> on the one guarding your healer---> and then cool down is ready so -->taunt --> single and group etc, etc

Task nr 4 ? INTERRUPT and NEVER killchase/tunnel vision on the low healther. What you could do is; push or drag that healer from his healing and the objective node and his protectors will follow, and look you might create an opening for a smart cap

more can be said on this subject and probably will ....

Edited by t-darko

No it should just be the slinger, and posting to have 2 people guard an off node in a thread trying to help new players is adding to the problem not helping anything. Please see the OP. If you call when you are attacked there should never be a need for 2 guards.

And by assuming that the single guard will call, you are free from guilt if that single slinger is overrun. If you continue to argue for the single guard in the future, be sure to recommend to put a 'focus target' on that lonely guard. Taking for granted that people will do and act as they suppose to will lose you the WZ.

As you say 'Situation awareness' will make you a much better PvPer. Your suggestion will only add to your frustration and then you'll be back here with just another rant ...

Edited by t-darko

The scenario I posted is a solo PUG with the other team stealth heavy. Stealth detection not withstanding, the slinger stands a good chance of being sap/capped if 2 stealth attack the node.

If your team is losing (only 1 node) then you should never have more than 1 guard but if you are winning (2 nodes currently capped) then with a 2/6 split if you can not prevent a node cap with 6v7 or even 6v8 then you were doomed from the outset.

My 2 cents for the thread now. Be aware of your situation. Know what is going on in your warzone. If you are a mid with 3-7 of your team mates, and there are only 3-4 enemies there, where do you think the rest of them are?

If someone tells you they are going to guard an off node it is your duty as a team member to know their toon name and where they are located on your ops frame. Watch there health and be moving towards them before they even have a chance to call.

While this is mostly correct, if the opposing team has 2 well geared deception sins and a well geared concealment op that like to run together are you still advocating one guard on the off node?

On novarre coast do not stand in front of the clickable console inside the bunker. You make it extremely difficult for others to cap and speed it up.

Unless you are defending, then by all means stand in front of it.

Edited by Vodrin

Indeed, if one person on my team is guarding a node on their own, I often make them my focus target, so I can see immediately when they are attacked

Oh and if you are guarding a node on your own, I think typing "inc pylon" (or whatever you're guarding) and then ctrl+c to copy it is a good idea.

That way if you do get attacked, you just need to click on ops chat then do ctrl+v and enter, i.e. one click and press two buttons rather than dying as you type it all out.

Oh and if you are guarding a node on your own, I think typing "inc pylon" (or whatever you're guarding) and then ctrl+c to copy it is a good idea.

That way if you do get attacked, you just need to click on ops chat then do ctrl+v and enter, i.e. one click and press two buttons rather than dying as you type it all out.

One other thought that might not be completely obvious to everyone; if you've already called out incoming once, hitting the up arrow cycles to your last message.

The scenario I posted is a solo PUG with the other team stealth heavy. Stealth detection not withstanding, the slinger stands a good chance of being sap/capped if 2 stealth attack the node.

If your team is losing (only 1 node) then you should never have more than 1 guard but if you are winning (2 nodes currently capped) then with a 2/6 split if you can not prevent a node cap with 6v7 or even 6v8 then you were doomed from the outset.

Yeah, learned that the hard way once. Pride myself being pretty vigilant when guarding but there was the simultaneous sap and cap, then its a dice roll that you get a shot off if you break to interrupt the cap with your one breaker while the non-capping stealth stands right over you waiting for it, and that's if you even have LOS on the capper.

1 node = 1 guard unless its AH, then still 2 or at least a rotation.

2 nodes = 2 or more per.

My final tip are for those node guarders who dont have stealth.

DON'T stand right next to the node/pylon because if you get mind zapped, they can insta cap. Especially if you break CC - then get zapped again.

Always best to stand a bit away, so theres no way they can cap inside 6 or 8 seconds.

DON'T stand right next to the node/pylon because if you get mind zapped, they can insta cap. Especially if you break CC - then get zapped again.

Always best to stand a bit away, so theres no way they can cap inside 6 or 8 seconds.

Vanguards / Powertechs can get away with this as long as shoulder cannon isn't on cooldown.

There's an odd risk of them' cappers being more the one . . .

Can't count the number of times I've turned back to go defend the node after an inc call only to hear "I got ninja'd". I mean, sleep dart only lasts 6 seconds, it takes 8 to cap a node. The stealther (usually an op who tries to steal) knows that. Only reason they use it is to make you panic and break it, and then they insta-flashbang you which lasts 8 seconds and you can't do crap about it. People are just so stupid.

Kinda off on a slight tangent, but I can't find that "Weird People You Meet in Warzones" thread at the moment, and just wanted to share a funny story.

Played two Voidstar WZs back to back with a guy the night before last who decided to get really pissed at the guy guarding the east door. He calls out incoming and several of us on defense (including myself) over-committed. Noob mistake on several of our parts, but for myself I realize as I'm jumping down off the ledge at the same time as several other people that I've tunnel visioned and left too few defenders on west. Evidently the same thought occurred to a couple other people as we all start heading west, but sure enough, it's too late and the Imps plant the bomb. We eventually lose the match.

The funny part is that one player just went off at the guard on east asking why the heck (he didn't say "heck," of course) he called incoming (there were three Imps attacking him, and he was alone). He was absolutely livid, telling him that he should never call unless the entire enemy team was attacking him. I mentioned in ops chat that no, it wasn't the guard's fault; it was everyone else's fault for over-reacting, but then sent the guard a whisper to suggest he type a number, like "e 3" instead of just "east" next time. The player kept ranting, though, insisting I was wrong.

Next match, we get Voidstar again. Same guy is on my team, and we start off defending. This match went a lot better, though, and we hold the attackers until about 1:30 on the first door. Same guy is screaming during the match about how someone needs to hurry up and take a door. Umm... and did I mention we were defending? Keeps telling people to "go cap west."

Anyway, we eventually lose the first door, but the Imps don't manage to extend the bridge, and we swap places. At that point, we find out that the Imps were much better on attack than defense (not saying much, of course). We end up getting through the first door in about a minute and a half, and win the match. To which the tactical genius says in Ops chat, "***?!!"

Meth is a hell of a drug.

All I can say is, if you haven't the experience of the brains to guard...don't. In a game of Novare Coast, we had East and Mid but the clown from east decided to go west and suddenly we saw east go and we never recovered.

A game of Hypergate - someone calls Pylon but 2 players returning from dropping off orbs, instead of turning back to help, kept on running back into the middle.

These examples really annoy me and I just do not understand peoples thought process when they behave like this

I know I'm not the best player in the world, but in at least 50% of the matches I've played, I end up guarding one of the objectives after capping it. The problem with that is that I'm playing as a healer and should really be out there healing my team. I'm constantly asking if somebody can come take over so I can heal, but so far only once has somebody listened.

Also, people don't seem to respond to calls for help 50% of the time ?

I know I'm not the best player in the world, but in at least 50% of the matches I've played, I end up guarding one of the objectives after capping it. The problem with that is that I'm playing as a healer and should really be out there healing my team. I'm constantly asking if somebody can come take over so I can heal, but so far only once has somebody listened.

Happened to me all the time as a sentinel. I wasn't the best guard in the world either, but I figured that any guard is better than no guard at all.

I wasn't the best guard in the world either, but I figured that any guard is better than no guard at all.

I know, which is why I always stay put. Ah well, I offer and if they don't want or listen, it's their loss. I think next time I'll tell people what to do in terms of strategy :D

Edited by timewyrm

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add -

COMMON SENSE.

I know you can't buy common sense but with the recent changes to the agent/scoundrel class - if you see more than 1, chances are they will team up and gank - (this also applies to Sins/Shadows) so don't leave poor old Fred alone at a node or pylon, only to be ganked.

Depending on the map, be mindful and always check to see if anything is happening - look at health bars for those guarding - don't stand right on top of the pylon(like most do) - this avoids you getting stunned and losing a pylon.

I have noticed that too. On my Sentinel, I get stuck guarding the node plenty of times. And on my lowbie Sage, i get stuck guarding nodes even when healing. I mean, I get telling a DPS to guard in certain cases. If we don't have tanks or stealths, my Sentinel is the next most survivable player (even thoguh he's the easiest to sap-cap), and my Sage (at 51) will have 2 CC breaks. But why would they make a healer guard?

I do have a solution I have for this, is that I don't "ask" or "request" these things anymore. I simply order them. If you appear to be a next level pro, while still ordering the most basic things, people listen. The next time you're playing, don't say "can someone guard?", say, "healer here, headed mid." Now, people listen.