Do commando healers need a better AOE heal?

samht

My guild had another healer come along to do a herioc flash point because they said we need a aoe heal here and there and the commando's aoe heal isn't enough? The healer mostly dpsed but she did (according to her) throw an aoe heal here and there. So my question is do others feel are aoe healing is too weak for end game content?

A lot of podcasts and website are claiming that the Commando is no longer "end game competitive" and the class has be hit with the snurff bat too hard.

What's you guys take?

Half the people here will tell you that it is completely unviable at all in endgame. The other half will tell you that the first half just needs to L2P and they're just fine.

Regardless this game is (for the most part) too easy for it to matter. At the very least no op would fail for having a single commando healer (though having 2 starts causing problems).

The main warning I can give you is this: it will not be fun. The nerfs were directly to your ability to do anything other than hoard your ammo like a miser. Succeeding is a matter of strictly managing your limited resources and casting the same few heals on the right people, and in a critical situation you can't change much to deal with it.

Well, the sage AoE heal is insanely OP compared to other class AoEs. Heals up to 8 people for 5-7k each over 10 seconds. The commando, IIRC, can AoE heal up to 4 for ~1500 each every 6s. So I would agree that commando's are not great AoE healers. If the AoE was a smart heal (to heal the 4 most in need of healing), and buffed a bit, it would probably compare nicely.

BUT, your guild is flat-out wrong about requiring the sage AoE heal for HM FPs. We just ran Lost Island HM (the hardest in the game, and really hard on the healer) with a commando healer tonight. We've also run EV and KP HMs with commando + scoundrel healers, so no, sage AoE is not even required there.

The CM may have to work a bit harder than other healing classes. And yes, the nerfs hurt and should be at least partially reverted. But a good healer is a good healer, regardless of whether they carry an assault cannon or stat stick.

Our AOE heal actually did get a significant boost from what it used to be, but like said before it does not compare to sage's AOE heal.

In instances it's not our lack of AOE healing power that's going to hurt you, it's the ammo usage on our main heals. You'll be doing just fine if nobody makes a mistake and people are decently geared. If mistakes start to happen then it will take 4-5 heals for you to go OOM.

To make it short and easy:

Can a commando heal everything in game? Yes

Is every other healer better for the job? Yes

You can take a scoundrel or sage for healing, and it will become easier. Both can bring way more HPS to the fights than a commando can. But even with the commando on the lowest possition for healing, its still enough for any ops or flashpoint in the current game.

You only need around 950 HPS for nightmare and 1000 HPS for hard EC. A commando can easy bring this numbers. But a sage and scoundrel can bring up to 2000 HPS, and have a much bigger bonus for faults than the commando has.

Even without knowing the sage or scoundrel class for healing you can respec to it from DPS, and heal everything in game quite easy without even knowing what you are doing. This will not work with a commando. An offspec commando can only end in wipes.

The AE heal from commandos got nerfed way to hard, but on the same time as well fixed from a bug that was healing for to less.

Its hitting for average 1800 for me right now. That always lead to the questions:

- Are the two ammo and the GCD worth the AE heal? Or should i use the 2 ammo for some synergy spells like AMP, MP or even trauma probe?

- Do you need the 3% extra heal from the AE, or do you have to patch the tank?

- Does the AE hit 4 targets, or do i miss one and have to patch him with another spell?

- Are you currently in the SCC and does the 5% damage reduce is usefull right now? Will the group get damage in the next seconds?

And with 15 sec duration of the healing buff along with 6 sec cooldown (effective only 4,5 if you remove the GCD) its easy to have the healing buff on the tank all the time. And even the damage reduce can be keep up nearly half of the time on the whole team. If you have a good ammo mamagement.

But normal healing and especially group healing is easier for sages and scoundrels.

And for sages the question is easier if you have to cast the AE heal. There are only really few times where you should not cast it. Even if it hit only two player, it heals more than anything else for the time you spend to cast it (not for the cost).

The commando always struggle with ammo, and the AE heal is really expensive for what it does and what you risk.

But to answer your question: No. Commando dont need a better AE healing, they need a whole redesign of the class at the current state.

Edited by Aritok

Ammo management is a problem and kolto bomb needs "smart healing" (ie. heals the peopple with the lowest HP first) in ops/raids. Aside from that medic is a viable healer with good mobility.

Isn't BBcode fun?

We have 4 heals that can be used on the move, 5 if you count tech override. That counts as "good" to me, but Scoundrel beats it tbh. Better HoT, better instant heal, better energy management. Scoundrel counts as "great."

Koto bomb has its uses; its healing happens all at once so doesn't require people to stand in one spot for a set amount of time. That is a genuine benefit, although the sage & scoundrel ones turn out to be better in practice more often than not.

Edited by Rigsta

I think people (and Bioware) overvalue the instant nature of Kolto Bomb vs. salvation. Salvation people immediately spot and move into; if it "missed" them they can move into it and only lose a fraction of its benefit. For kolto bomb, they had to already be in the proper position; if it misses it misses.

Kolto Cloud is even worse (in my opinion) because it can still miss, but still isn't instant.

Don't get me wrong; instant AoE hp is nothing to sneeze at, and when 2-4 players need hitpoints and are near each other kolto bomb is definitely the ability you want to use. Being able to use it while running is great. It just doesn't compare to Salvation in the slightest.

You shouldnt need 2 healers in a HM flash point. Ive done every HM flashpoint short of Lost Island and thats because ive been focusing on pvp lately but anyways there is a reason they think they need 2 healers. Either the tank sucks, their dps sucks, or your healing sucks and they have to make up for one of those things. That is the only reason you would ever need an offheals in a HM flashpoint.