Rakghoul Plague Outbreak Ended - Surprised by this?

Arjin

So like, if your cellphone carrier decided that those who didn't opt out of an extra 20 dollar charge for the month of April came back with the statement that you had the ability to go to the website or ask another subscriber to see that it was going to happen?

Naw, I'm sure you'd get behind your silly logic then. Your opinion is valid.

lol

lol. Really? is this your best counter-arguement? If the cell carrier had announced that this was happening (Like bioware announced that the event was happening), and told me I had until the end of april to opt out (like bioware said event ended april 24 2AM CDT), and I didn't opt out before the end of april....

then it is my own fault for not opting out, not my cell phone carriers.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackpot!

Ahahahaha....

Let me just point out that finding the forum to post on after something bad has happened is pretty standard behavior. It in no way implies previous visits to the forum.

How often do you call customer service of <X> company just to chat? Probably never. But if your product from company <X> breaks down, or has issues, or something that you feel is their fault with the product... yep. You will be calling them.

It's sad when people can't realize that others don't behave exactly as they themselves would...

There are two factions here:

1) Players with earned DNA samples who can't spend it because they haven't been gaming all weekend.

2) Players who want to make sure these other players can't use their earned DNA samples so their rewards will have more value.

What side does BW pick?

How does this affect public relations?

I don't believe BW is stupid. Those of us (the majority) just need to stay vocal about it. The players in group 2 will continue to try and prevent their items from losing a small percentage of value, but the way this should play out will be played out. Let the group 2 players try. Logicless, but they have to try.

What this game really needs when it comes to events is an in game calendar informing us precisely when things are ending or starting.

A lot of the people on my server didn't even know that the event was taking place till the last few days and they didn't know that the vendor had vanished so they were still trying to sell the DNA samples. We don't need things on the forums where people occasionally browse, we the gamers need them in game.

I was unlucky with lack of being told on general (Hydian Way Fleet. Not always helpful!) And not enough time on my PC. Only annoyance is i couldn't get the CT chest but meh ill make the rest black to mimic my chestguard :)

I have the title so im a CT either way..would like one of there flamethrower rifles though...:p

1) Players with earned DNA samples who can't spend it because they haven't been gaming all weekend.

2) Players who want to make sure these other players can't use their earned DNA samples so their rewards will have more value.

Wow, if you think that;s what going on then you need to reconsider you perceptions of humanity ...

Leaving the vendor behind for a while after the events, and making all event items BoP is pretty much common sense and standard practice in mmos.

Oh yeah? Which games and which events in those games? ... I mean if it's such a common practice you should be able to name them.

See these arguments make perfect sense, see they had the vendor out there before the plague started or "The Event" so it stands to reason to leave him behind after "The Event" ended.

I don't even mind people asking them to bring back the vendor, I just find it absolutely INSANE that people think that something that was introduced in an event would stick around AFTER the event.

Edited by leeroyclarkson
spelling

I'm also a little frustrated with this. I collected myself a nice few commendations from the world event throughout the course of the event and all of a sudden it all disappears without a decent amount of warning. It would have been nice to at least have a warning on the Launcher stating the date the event ended?

What side does BW pick?

I don't believe BW is stupid. Those of us (the majority) just need to stay vocal about it. The players in group 2 will continue to try and prevent their items from losing a small percentage of value, but the way this should play out will be played out. Let the group 2 players try. Logicless, but they have to try.

"I'm sorry sir, but this coupon expired last week."

"But I was on vacation last week and couldn't use it"

"I'm sorry sir, but it is expired, we cannot honor it."

Standard procedure. When the allotted time is over, it is over.

I have zero to gain personally if they do not bring back the vendor. I also have nothing to gain if they DO bring back the vendor. I don't care either way. My issue is with people who, for whatever reason, decide not to spend their items before the end of the event, and then come here to complain because they didn't spend their items before the end of the event.

Typically, when any promotion is over... it is over. The company will not make a special exception for you because you missed the deadline.

Wow, if you think that;s what going on then you need to reconsider you perceptions of humanity ...

Really? So explain to me the motivation behind those saying the vendor should not be put back in game for people, who were not playing the past 3 days to see the post about it being removed, wanting to spend their earned DNA samples.

I'm curious as to your rationalization.

"I'm sorry sir, but this coupon expired last week."

"But I was on vacation last week and couldn't use it"

"I'm sorry sir, but it is expired, we cannot honor it."

Expiration date was on coupon when I got it.

Removal of vendors after event where you can do dailies to get DNA samples was not stated when event started.

A better analogy would be coupons that didn't have an expiration date on them, and being told that you only had a week to get the coupons. THEN introducing an expiration date the day you can't get the coupons anymore.

What this game really needs when it comes to events is an in game calendar informing us precisely when things are ending or starting.

A lot of the people on my server didn't even know that the event was taking place till the last few days and they didn't know that the vendor had vanished so they were still trying to sell the DNA samples. We don't need things on the forums where people occasionally browse, we the gamers need them in game.

I do like this idea. I know on fleet there is a major broadcasting over and over, but sometimes people tune it out.

I do believe that fleet broadcast should go.

Day 1 "A major outbreak of Rakghoul plague on Tatooine." <blah blah blah?

Day 4 "Scientist are working hard to combat the plague. They are getting close solving it"

Day 6 "The plague is being contained. We should be seeing a dramatic drop on infection by tomorrow"

Day 7 "We are currently stamping out the remaining virus. We will cancel all out alert tomorrow"

or something like that ;)

But I do like the in-game calender too if the above it too hard.

I chose to spend my tokens after I got back today.

That was a poor choice. Nothing was stopping you from spending them before you left.

Event ending, in 99% of MMOs, means that you can't gain more event currency. It does not mean you can't spend the currency you acquired.

What MMOs are you talking about? Here are the ones I've played:

Dark Age of Camelot: didn't have events

City of Heroes: vendors disappeared as soon as the event was over

World of Warcraft: vendors disappeared as soon as the event was over

The Old Republic: vendor disappeared as soon as the event was over

Do you see a pattern here?

If BW was going to do something other than the standard, it should have been mentioned when the event started.

Seems to be that Bioware was conforming to the standard, and it's you who made an incorrect assumption.

Really? So explain to me the motivation behind those saying the vendor should not be put back in game for people, who were not playing the past 3 days to see the post about it being removed, wanting to spend their earned DNA samples.
Not everyone wants the vestiges of an expired event cluttering the game. It has nothing to do with you, the items, or the fact that you couldn't spend you DNA samples. By your reasoning, and those advocating the vendor's return, why not keep him around forever?

We were given plenty of warning that the event was drawing to a close. It was a dynamic event that began, ran its course, and was removed in a relatively short span of time. That's what an event should be. We don't need artifacts sticking around and cluttering the landscape.

I was. 220 DNA samples. Little window for a warning would have been nice.

Put a vendor on the fleet for a week. Put way too much effort to get these. Now I need to flush em down the toilet with all of my Merc, Champion, and Centurion comms????

See below:

04.17.2012 , 03:11 PM | #1

Report Post Quote

Update #2 April 23rd: We wanted to warn players that the effects of the plague may linger after the event is over. Vaccines will still be readily available.

Update #1 April 23rd: We just wanted to remind people to turn in your Rakghoul DNA before maintenance tomorrow morning at 2AM CDT (12AM PDT/3AM EDT/8AM BST/9AM CEST/5PM AEST). Jeelvic the Jawa will be disappearing after tonight, but he may possibly return by himself at some point in the future.

Attention citizens:

We are happy to announce that we are starting to make progress in the neutralization of the Rakghoul Plague Outbreak. It is our hope that the outbreak will be completely contained by April 24th at 2AM CDT (12AM PDT/3AM EDT/8AM BST/9AM CEST/5PM AEST). Citizens have until this time to completely avoid Tatooine and to not engage in investigations of suspicious wreckage on its surface.

Thank you.

No excuse for being surprised since you indicated your use of the forums.

Why would I assume the turn in vendor would be gone after the event ended? That's not normal. Why would a game leave me with all this useless currency?

OH! cause I'm supposed to subscribe for one more year to spend it. A subscription gimmick.

That is the story that will spread.

Just put the vendor back in so everyone is happy.

Event ends, vendor leaves. I guess you are the type of person that collects a ton of coupons for the fair and then show up the day after it ended complaining that you can no longer spend the coupons.

Your assumption was the vendor would stay around after the event ended.

Edited by Ichikitsune

Expiration date was on coupon when I got it.

Removal of vendors after event where you can do dailies to get DNA samples was not stated when event started.

A better analogy would be coupons that didn't have an expiration date on them, and being told that you only had a week to get the coupons. THEN introducing an expiration date the day you can't get the coupons anymore.

Except bioware gave an expiration date 6 days in advance of said expiration date. They did not "surprise event is over today suckers!". Plenty of time. You were the one who ASSUMED that the vendor would stay, and didn't go verify this.

Not everyone wants the vestiges of an expired event cluttering the game.

>Have earned DNA samples that you can't get from dailies anymore.

>Want to spend earned DNA samples on items.

>Will somehow result in vestiges of an expired event cluttering game if I'm able to spend these earned DNA samples.

OK.

Except bioware gave an expiration date 6 days in advance of said expiration date. They did not "surprise event is over today suckers!". Plenty of time. You were the one who ASSUMED that the vendor would stay, and didn't go verify this.

Event over = can't get anymore event currency, not that the vendor is gone. That was not explained until 3 days before event ended. If it was a given, why did it need to be explained as another matter?

My assumptions were based on the standard of MMO games and how events are handled. It's fine if BW wants to divert from this, but it's not good public relations to tangent and not say anything about it until right before the event ends.

Bad taste in my mouth, so to speak. I'm not alone.

Edited by Partyrockk

>Have earned DNA samples that you can't get from dailies anymore.
They can be destroyed or given away.

>Want to spend earned DNA samples on items.
Yough luck you had your chance and plenty of warning.

>Will somehow result in vestiges of an expired event cluttering game if I'm able to spend these earned DNA samples.
Get rid of that stupid jawa and his over-burdened Dewback.

What side does BW pick?

You forgot the third group: people who don't care one way or the other about the vendor but who are sick of people whining and crying about things that are their own fault.

I'm curious as to your rationalization.

I don't care either way if they bring back a vendor personally, but the reason I'd be against it would be that it's forcing Bioware to cater to uninformed or lazy people. It took nothing for these people to merely spend a few seconds asking when the event ended. Because they CHOSE not to do that, it shouldn't force Bioware to cater to them. And where do you stop with that? I don't have a million credits in my bank, should I cry on the forums saying that other people have that much, shouldn't I be given the same amount?

Event over = can't get anymore event currency, not that the vendor is gone. That was not explained until 3 days before event ended. If it was a given, why did it need to be explained as another matter?
Except the vendor is part of the event, so when the event is gone, so is he.

My assumptions were based on the standard of MMO games and how events are handled. It's fine if BW wants to divert from this, but it's not good public relations to tangent and not say anything about it until right before the event ends.
Once more, that is not the standard. Edited by HeavensAgent