Griefing: Everyone's Problem

Elhanan

Gamers have gotten real soft... It's sad no? When a player died for the 80th time on the original Donkey Kong you didn't run home and cry to mom that they made the game too hard, NO! You dropped another quarter in and kept climbing ladders and jumping over barrels. When you played the original Super Mario and died on Bowser you didn't write to Nintendo and ask them to remake the game so you can beat him. NO! You pushed start and restarted the game and whooped his *** to rescue the princess only to see her be kidnapped again. Man as a gamer from a real young age it ashames me alot of you represent us (Gamers) as a whole. Suck it up and keep playing. :mad:

Is it sad that those that consider themselves gamers use Twitch games as their standard, and paid to play them?

As a gamer, and as one that has played RPG's since '75, it is rather shameful that some of these players seem to believe they represent us.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Elhanan

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you link a developer statement on this point? I finally got an answer from a CSR who said that it was working-as-intended, and thus not an exploit.

Why they thought it was a good idea to allow Beavis & Butthead to take their level 50 characters and gank my level 30 character, while I was PvEing, on a PvE server, in a PvE area, and with no warning about the policy change, is a mystery. Still, all I've seen is that they're unapologetic and intend to do jack-all about it. Guess they don't want my business back.

Out of curiosity, what did you lose from the ganking? 45 seconds? That has ruined your enjoyment of the caused you to quit? You feel betrayed by the game designers? Interesting.

No matter how an event is done, there will always be someone complaining about it...

So what? How much time and credits did you really lose? This wasn't griefing, not by a long shot, but I guess if anything that happens that is a minor inconvenience causes you to explode in anger then anything could be griefing to you.

Seriously, they made ways around the infection so if you couldn't be bothered to take the out you were given why are you here complaining?

I had 5 of 6 characters in Fleet on a single server during that even and only 1 character got infected. One. On a busy (at the time) server. I'm not seeing a problem.

Out of curiosity, what did you lose from the ganking? 45 seconds? That has ruined your enjoyment of the caused you to quit? You feel betrayed by the game designers? Interesting.

It would appear that besides his time - which may have a different value than yours - he also lost the PvE environment he payed to play, was forced into gameplay he did not request, and supposedly recieived a lack of feedback that it would not occur again.

No matter how an event is done, there will always be someone complaining about it...

So what? How much time and credits did you really lose? This wasn't griefing, not by a long shot, but I guess if anything that happens that is a minor inconvenience causes you to explode in anger then anything could be griefing to you.

Seriously, they made ways around the infection so if you couldn't be bothered to take the out you were given why are you here complaining?

I had 5 of 6 characters in Fleet on a single server during that even and only 1 character got infected. One. On a busy (at the time) server. I'm not seeing a problem.

Greifing goes beyond the Plague, and forced PvP; also entails a variety of actions actions that ruin play for others (eg; Chat violations, cheating, Camping, etc.). While the losses may not mean anything to you, it may have increaed value for another. Seriously.

Is this thread STILL going on? It's been pretty much a month since this event finished.

Wrong thread; that one was on the Plague, and not of my creation, though I personally did discuss Griefing. Thanks for the thought, though.

It would appear that besides his time - which may have a different value than yours - he also lost the PvE environment he payed to play, was forced into gameplay he did not request, and supposedly recieived a lack of feedback that it would not occur again.

Received a lack? Cool phrasing there. I suppose I should put it plainly; there was nothing lost in this instance that wasn't intended or designed to be lost. The player clearly did not prepare for the event or do anything to mitigate what he thought might be the deleterious effects on his personal (and yet startlingly solipsistic and anti-social) experience.

Let's not pretend that what is at question here isn't one person's overly sensitive reaction to his mismanagement and misunderstanding of the game. He got killed--he doesn't like that.

Edited by Limedust
Correctness

The drama. What actor would play you in the film adaptation of this terrible tragedy?

Preferably one that can read their lines, and not mistake drama for comedy. Perhaps removing shiny objects of distraction will help.

Edited by Elhanan

Received a lack? Cool phrasing there. I suppose I should put it plainly; there was nothing lost in this instance that wasn't intended or designed to be lost. The player clearly did not prepare for the event or do anything to mitigate what he thought might be the deleterious effects on his personal (and yet startlingly solipsistic and anti-social) experience.

Let's not pretend that what is at question here isn't one person's overly sensitive reaction to his mismanagement and misunderstanding of the game. He got killed--he doesn't like that.

This poster has written before and within other threads; seems dismayed at the perceived lack of focus on this problem. While I disagree with them about leaving, I do value their choice to do so, as Griefing is noted for growing into a greater issue if left unchecked.

Edited by Elhanan