Remove the rakghoul plague now

The Plague is becoming annoying not to mention the Fleet station is becoming a lag fest due to all the people trying to infect each other....

By giving people 5 DNA samples each time they explode your encouraging people to grief other players... I would be pissed if I was a low level player and had to pay 2k a pop each time so joker exploded on me...

Obviously Bioware didn't think this one out.... If your going to allow people to grief, then make it so when they are about to explode other players can shoot them and put them out of their misery without them exploding on us...

You don't pay 2k a pop... the vaccine is 6 hours of protection. Moreso, if you're not on the fleet, you don't have to spend the credits!! Or you could just die from the infection and use the DNA to sell on the GTN and make money off of it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, pretty much every quality mmo has a pve mode that prevents players from griefing one another.

Well, there your true colors come through. You imply that SWTOR isn't a quality MMO, so the reason for your opposition to this event is quite clear now; you can't stand that BioWare has implemented something fun, and must find a way to tear it down.

A clear case of Sour Grapes.

Why the hell should we be forced to kill ourselves because some Dev's don't have a clue... I'm so sick of Bioware handing out warnings about griefing other players, YET they design an event that Griefs people on purpose.... Bioware is nothing but a hypocrite....

It's times like these I wish I had a "smite" button. Infection doesn't harm you in most cases, other than causing you to barf a few times, "die" with no penalty, and RESPAWN RIGHT WHERE YOU FINISHED "dying".

Griefing implies an actual negative effect. The infector didn't cost you a credit or more than the few seconds it took to hit the "get back up" button. It's a social action- a very fancy emote in game terms. And heck, it only can even do THAT once every 20 minutes!

Oh, and I will warn people. In the interest of being completists, Infection does have ONE case where you might get in trouble. There ARE containment droids in some locations.

They might scan you. If you are in an advanced ("Feverish") state of infection, the guards with the droid might shoot to kill. Of course, you can shoot back.

If you stop complaining long enough. Of course.

A non-zero amount of grief, since it interrupts what they're doing and costs them time.

The situation is no different than exploiting a bug in the game that allows you to autoflag someone as pvp and then kill them.

You have zero credibility now. This isn't griefing. No matter how many times you say it, doesn't make it so.

You don't pay 2k a pop... the vaccine is 6 hours of protection. Moreso, if you're not on the fleet, you don't have to spend the credits!! Or you could just die from the infection and use the DNA to sell on the GTN and make money off of it.

You do need to keep spending the 2k each time you die, however. That means if you PvP from fleet or PvE from fleet, it will require constant spending of that money. Yes, the solution "don't die" works, but then "don't die" is what people are trying to do anyways, and of course we all know it doesn't always work that way.

There was a same uproar on the WoW forums regarding the zombie event, that it was eventually ended early.

I recommend everyone enjoy this event while they can. Because Bioware will cave to the complaints and will end it early as well.

If that happens I'm not sure I'll be around for much longer.

What is up with all these people that want to play MMOs, yet they cannot stand even the slightest disturbance in their daily routine?

There was a same uproar on the WoW forums regarding the zombie event, that it was eventually ended early.

I recommend everyone enjoy this event while they can. Because Bioware will cave to the complaints and will end it early as well.

they could always fix the event so that it can't be used to grief people.

of course, I think that a huge number of people would lose interest if that happened.

No, pretty much every quality mmo has a pve mode that prevents players from griefing one another.

EvE would like a word with you.

As would EQ with mob training.

And WoW with Hunter/Rogue pulling into another player's AoE and Feigning/Vanishing.

There are ways to grief people in every game. This, though, isnt' griefing when it's working as intended.

If that happens I'm not sure I'll be around for much longer.

What is up with all these people that want to play MMOs, yet they cannot stand even the slightest disturbance in their daily routine?

Because most people play MMOs precisely for the daily routine. Some people like variation, but the vast majority have a routine and they like it.

It's a matter of preference, certainly, and perhaps one you do not share. However, many/most players do and that is why many are complaining.

Heck, it irritates me even just to see the news thing on the Fleet. It's different. I don't want it to be different.

Special events are fine - and I even like this one, largely. I just want the core of my experience - which is based on the fleet - to be consistent.

No, I imply that they should be fixing the griefing bit so that they can remain a quality mmo.

You're right.

I vote that they cut out the middleman and randomly have NPC's spawn, mutate, and explode in Fleet, aggroing uninfected players.

After all, if NPC's are the vector, it's not griefing. Right?

What I think is the issue for some is that they want to be able to be safe doing regular things, 100%. That there are places where they can putter around, AFK, whatever and not have anyone or anything that can touch them in any way. That was Fleet.

Suddenly, here we are. PLAGUE OMG HE EXPLODED ON ME! Suddenly, the oasis of security has dried up and mutated into a fleshrending disease pool.

Frankly, it delights me. I'm all for Imperial commando teams occasionally rampaging through Republic Fleet, blowing up stuff and shooting anything in the way. Or rakghoul plagues.

haha, don't backtrack now.
Where am I backtracking?

You play any D&D?
Yes.

Do you complain when the DM sticks you with some debilitating curse or affect?
The dm isn't a player and is an explicitly adversarial role in the game to boot, so that's as irrelevant as your pvp examples.

The problem with that one was....the event started causing havoc on the servers, and player's computers were graphically lagging so badly in the main cities players were having trouble simply playing due to the hundreds of corpses laying around that weren't despawning. The other problem was players were going out and wiping out all the quest NPCs in the lowbie towns for their own faction. I went out to the Crossroads to try and stop them, and got some pretty hateful whispers from the griefers. It's the reason I think people should keep the fun amongst themselves and not bother someone not really interested in the event in that I'm not saying don't enjoy the event, just don't do so at someone else's expense.

And it's STILL a dumb idea forcing a debuff on players who don't want to participate. I got over a million credits so it's just an annoyance. But I've already spent over 2k curing myself because you lose immunity every time you die in a warzone. That's a lot of credits to a low level player saving for their speeder training, crafting, skill training, etc. It's obvious from some of the posts a LOT of people don't find this fun. It's straight up griefing, that's EXACTLY why people are standing in the stations purposely infecting people.

20k debuffing WZ's because of this rak'ghoul event? I think doing pvp WZ's (OR ANY PVP for that matter, FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH!) should totally exclude any debuffs given to us during events.

I've not played any WZ's since this event happened, but if I'd seen myself or any team members "Explode" due to this I would certainly complain too.

All pvp (and after all what do we have here atm? WZ's :) What we have here should not suffer from this BRILLIANT PVE DEBUFF. It's great in PVE (Ignore the whiners :p ), but in WarZones, It's a Pain in the Arse!

Edited by DarthHoob

A non-zero amount of grief, since it interrupts what they're doing and costs them time.

The situation is no different than exploiting a bug in the game that allows you to autoflag someone as pvp and then kill them.

It costs them what... 2-3 seconds of being stunned every 20 minutes or so? So costs them like 6-10seconds an hour... 24 hours would be 2.5-4 minutes per *day* if they played 24 hours straight while gettign infected every time they respawned. There is no running back becasue you rez right where you were and it costs no durability damage so no lost time to farmign repair costs.

It costs them what... 2-3 seconds of being stunned every 20 minutes or so? So costs them like 6-10seconds an hour... 24 hours would be 2.5-4 minutes per *day* if they played 24 hours straight while gettign infected every time they respawned. There is no running back becasue you rez right where you were and it costs no durability damage so no lost time to farmign repair costs.
so, now you're argument is that it's not griefing very much rather than not griefing at all?

Of course, you're also overlooking any additional inconvenience that it causes if it happens in a warzone.

if you have a champion mob at 10% and it happens, does the champion sit there at 10% waiting for you to get up, or does it reset back to 100%?

Edited by ferroz

Because most people play MMOs precisely for the daily routine. Some people like variation, but the vast majority have a routine and they like it.

It's a matter of preference, certainly, and perhaps one you do not share. However, many/most players do and that is why many are complaining.

Heck, it irritates me even just to see the news thing on the Fleet. It's different. I don't want it to be different.

Special events are fine - and I even like this one, largely. I just want the core of my experience - which is based on the fleet - to be consistent.

At least in this thread, there's like the same 3-4 people arguing against this event, while the rest of the posts are a variety of people saying "it's a great event." I see more 'stop complaining' than 'complaining', so I'd be more inclined to say the ones that don't like the event are in the minority based on the forums. In game, I haven't heard a single complaint.

The biggest issue a lot of players have in modern MMOs is how samey and routine things are, and then a bunch of people get excited when there's something different. The genre was founded on randomness. It's the newer MMO players that get frustrated when their routine is interrupted.

Edited by Erimi

Simple solution = Allow infected people that come to social zones like the Fleet get targeted by NPCs and gunned down.

Players are intentionally abusing it by going to areas where large amounts of people are inorder to game the mechanics.

The Fleet is visited by folks from 10 - 50. Higher levels or alts may be able to afford getting infected and curing it but it is an unreasonable situation to screw over those that are neither and dont want to be infected.

The Fleet is supposed to be a safe zone... as such the NPCs should be gunning down people that are infected.