I suck at PVP - help

Johnoh

Toon - level 39 Sage

Since 1.2 update I played 2 hours pf PVP and revived nothing across the board. Yep not one score in anything. Even in one match when I revived most of the votes, not sure why, may for the most deaths!. I do my best to heal team mate's, but once I come under fire , that's it, game over.Oh and I'm on the losing side all the time - ahhh!

Is the Light side dark side uneven or do I really suck at playing PVP?

And it's not just my Sage, I have 4 other toon's and it's the same story.

It doesn't help that all of my toon's tech trees have been reset with 1.2 and I can't remember what ones I chose except for my Sage, who has the seer tree.

I'm not having fun anymore and I'm about to rage quit.

Toons

Lvl 43 Jedi Shadow

Lvl 21 Vanguard Trooper

Lvl 39 Jedi Sage

Lvl 28 Sniper Agent

Lvl 14 Gunslinger

I would appreciate any tips and/or suggestion with which tech tree I should choose now they're reset.

Edited by Johnoh

join a guild that does PvP and PvP with some buddies. Also, get TS (teamspeak) or vent (ventrilo) to chat with your guildies.

playing with at least one other player that you can do post-mortem's with is the best way to learn IMO.

My guild (Black Moon Faction) on The Fatman is small but growing. We have TS and like to help others with PvP and PvE.

As for tips here on the forum here it would be helpful to get more information about your play style. Pick a single warzone and tell us about your experience there. Playing PUGs (random pick up groups) is hard because your ability to coordinate and mesh with teammates varies so much.

I understand you 100%. I have to wonder, too: Do I totally suck in warzones or is there something wrong.

I can tell you that in REP vs REP warzones, I get good stats, good medals, have a lot of fun.

In REP vs IMP warzones, I only get 3 medals if I focus on my OWN selfish goals only which is usually: Do one last killing shot: 1 medal. Do 75k damage: 1 medal. Defend a target for a while: 1 medal. This of course causes me to not be helpful at all for winning the warzone. But since 1.2 I got 0 points from warzones when playing against IMPs, because I always do teamwork, play with tactics and everything. You sound like doing it the same way. The game is NOT rewarding people like us for it, at least not in a random warzone group.

So, since 1.2 I can only advise you the following:

1. Enjoy the REP vs REP warzones

2. If playing against IMPs in a random group, forget about group idea and/or winning the warzone. Get your own 3 selfish medals first in order to at least get your commendations, XP and moolah. Then, if the game is not lost yet, you can do teamwork. I know this is a terrible way, but it is the only way Bioware left open for us not-so-good PVPers.

3. If you face 7 or 8 Sith in a warzone, leave it right away. This again is selfish and unfriendly towards the others, but you will get a beating anyway and will end up with 0 points at the end = total waste of time.

This is how I - as a not-so-good-PVPer who likes doing PvP anyway - see the PvP part of TOR since 1.2. I think it is terribly flawed. If we're not so good, but TRYING and staying to the end, getting lightning on us causing 12 kills on us, but we keep going and going... then rewarding us with ZERO of anything... this is what really hurts.

I understand that better players need to get better rewards. But just because someone doesn't get more than 2 medals against Sith does NOT mean he sucked and he shouldn't get anything. Then there have to be more different rewards at least. Trying to win a turret for example but having no chance because the Sith are so much better equipped (talking about lvl 50 warzones here as a lvl 50 freshman which causes you to hardly do any damage, thus not achieving the 75k), but still coming back is MUCH BETTER than standing 10 minutes on an empty turret and getting defender medals.

Anyway, to summarise: No, you don't suck at PvP. Yes, there is imbalance between REP and IMP, but not (necessarily) due to game mechanics. And no, don't expect much agreement or understanding on this board on your situation. You won't get it. The thunder and lightning Sith kids will claim that it is due to their one-button-click skill that they are so much better. ;)

Send me a private PM, if you like. Maybe we can team up for some warzones, if we should be on the same server.

Keep on trying and don't give up. You get more and more REP vs REP warzones these days and they can make a lot of fun. Example:

Huttball REP vs IMP 0:6, only few minutes, then over

Huttball REP vs REP 4:3, epic game, win in the last 20 seconds

If you can't get three medals, stop ruining everyone else's warzones until you l2p. Watch videos of people that are good at your class. Read your stickied class guides. Get a spec from here. Play smarter.

A lot of people whining about this don't seem to realize that YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO YOUR FACTION LOSING. The fact that you're not getting three medals means you are literally doing nothing helpful for your warzone.

Patch 1.2 changed a lot of things, but my usual sage healer is still doing 150-200k in the lowbie bracket no problem. You're getting focus fired and killed because you queue solo, do poorly and thus don't get invited to groups. You CAN be focus fired and killed because you're not queuing with other people.

Even with 1.2, the commando and sage I always run with are still doing the same amount of healing as always. A large part of that is due to me on my Sent and the gunslinger I always run with keeping them cleared off as necessary.

Heal well ---> Get groups ---> Heal even better. It's a simple process.

I do have to say if rep vs rep games are good and imp games you get steamrolled, your faction on that server probably sucks.

Edited by Racter

Well thanks for the replies. Certainly food for thought.

I'm giving my healer a rest for now and I'm using my Shadow instead, until I get better. I do like to heal though!

I'm in a small guild (10 people) on harbinger, but unfortunately they switched over to the Pacific server running Imps and there not coming back to the Reps until they can move their toons over, so I'm going solo for the moment.

I did change my tech tree to a more tank/stealth option and found that's working better for me. I also did a little experimenting and found JattaGin has a point. But saying that I'll still try and be a team player as it's working with my Stealth, just not my Healer.

Just wondering if the keyboard layout can improve my playability. I'm using the "Function" keys as close combat, "Numbers" as long range and 2nd bank for healing (on my Healer). Just wondering how other people are using their layout?

• 1 month later...
Well thanks for the replies. Certainly food for thought.

I'm giving my healer a rest for now and I'm using my Shadow instead, until I get better. I do like to heal though!

I'm in a small guild (10 people) on harbinger, but unfortunately they switched over to the Pacific server running Imps and there not coming back to the Reps until they can move their toons over, so I'm going solo for the moment.

I did change my tech tree to a more tank/stealth option and found that's working better for me. I also did a little experimenting and found JattaGin has a point. But saying that I'll still try and be a team player as it's working with my Stealth, just not my Healer.

Just wondering if the keyboard layout can improve my playability. I'm using the "Function" keys as close combat, "Numbers" as long range and 2nd bank for healing (on my Healer). Just wondering how other people are using their layout?

i usually bind "r" as my interrupt, on a sage, "f" is my speed, then i use shift+1-4 for cds like stun, alt 1-4 for abilities that i use a lot, 1-4 for abilities that i use a lot, middle mouse scroll button for something i use alot, then mid mouse + shift, mid mouse + alt mid mouse + ctrl, and i also use "c" "v" "X" and "z", as well as shift + those and alt + those. oh and i almost forgot, you can keybind shift+a,w,s, & d, and if you have a and d set as strafe you can keybind q and e, ifn ot you can still keybind shift + q and e(as you can tell im a big fan of modifiers)

dont get discouraged, swtor has a lot of abilities you need to have keybinded compared to other mmos.

as for the healing part, my main(my merc) was a healer, and id always get about 200k healing on him, and id get enough medals to get the rewards, and id usually get 2+ mvp votes but i never felt like i was really helping my team, and if my cds werent up and i got targeted i was dead. i eventually just switched him over to pyrotech.

if you really want to heal i would suggest a scoundrel/operative, they seem to be in the best place for pvp healing right now.

hope this helped, good luck!

Edited by Jedikillar

Try a gaming kb. I have a merc stealth keyboard, and I really love it. I have had it over 4 years now, and the setup allows me to bind keys in the same ways for all of my chars and games (mmo). It becomes second nature pretty fast, and translates to any class and set up fairly easy. The kb doesn't require any software or drivers and just works. You can install the macro software if you like, but I would suggest just getting used to the binds and layout and forget using any kind of software.

I use the num keys for buffs and stuff I don't use all the time in combat like stims, vanish, force run, slow ect. I use the keys just the right for main attacks, the outside keys to the right for aoe, the key next to jump for cc and the little key next to jump for instants that proc like railshot and shock. I use mid mouse btn for pass ball, cc break and defensive bbls, I use the little thumb mouse btn for interupts and the big one for target type aoe spells like dfa (this is my taunt and aoe taunt on my assassin since as deception i don't have any ground target aoe types of spells)

This kb allows for 60+ binds all with-in 1 to 1.5 inces of your movement keys using a reg 5 button mouse. It is night and day compaired to playing on a reg kb.

Edited by Baneful_dj

First off -

Being in the lowbie bracket, make sure that you gear is fairly up to par. Bolstering depends on gear.

Second, could you explain how you are healing? I realize you are still a relatively low level, so you might not have all of your spells yet. How are your points distributed within the seer tree? Give some details and hopefully I can help.

Your tree should look something like:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#600GorRrdbdhZb.1

Since you are mainly playing PVP you might want to wait to put the 2 points into telekinetic tree until you get Salvation, and put those 2 points into resplendence. Then at level 40 put that point into salvation, and you are money.

Salvation is HUGE in pvp and you should probably wait a few levels before you get discouraged.

Edited by georgemcfly
added talent tree