In Defense of EA/Bioware

Fiveskin

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess you've never watched Soa bug out or have to reset the zone over and over because the pylons get stuck...

Both of which have been around for months and yet...nothing.

Oh, wait, a reset button, lol.

A. That's not game-breaking, and yes I've experienced it.

B. WoW has traditionally been full of those kinds of bugs. Every MMO has them.

Edited by SamuraBob_Fl

Appreciated! They already gave us a free full day. I remember when I played Lord of The Rings Online and they had severe rollbacks and extended outages. They did NOTHING to compensate players who lost rare boss drops, etc...

Like I said, Bioware is being proactive. Software = problems. The difference is in how you respond. So far the response is on par with my expectations.

I've played LOTRO since open beta, never had a rollback on a PVE character, and only remember one extended downtime. But five years is a long time to remember.

A. That's not game-breaking, and yes I've experienced it.

B. WoW has traditionally been full of those kinds of bugs. Every MMO has them.

Game breaking means so frustrating you just want to log out.

Every MMO has them, only the bads, like SWTOR, let them linger around for months.

F2P by August.

Dear OP I do understand your point, still I invite you to not only compare what they did with a budget over 3 times Rift and 4 times AoC but also read the following:

Source

Bioware Austin hire huge numbers of developers, outsource much of their art, completely rebuild how their team was integrated, and eventually make strict cuts to game features in a triage process known internally as “The Death Star”.

“If you offer nothing different, you fail. But we are an MMORPG."

Star Wars: The Old Republic was built to thrive in a WoW world

Their goal, for now, is to gain over one million subscribers in the long-term, one they’re apparently well on their way to meeting.

Ahem: aren't you supposed to have 1.7 million subscribers?

Dickinson said that they won some and lost some in trying to scale up to full production with this kind of scope. He believes they did well in the voice over and writing development cycle, as well as outsourcing of art for both character and environment. Where they didn’t do so well, he said, was in the build pipeline (what gets done and by whom), data tables (tracking), and software scripting.

Nice post! :)

But I don't get other people here. Bioware said that they wanted to reward loyal players. That's a good thing right?

But people saw this negatively, why? They read it negatively on their end. Like a child jealous of his sister because his mother SAID 'I love you' to her and gave her a piece of candy.

"WHY did you say 'I love you' to her?! Why did you give her a candy?!!! NO, IT MEANS YOU DON'T LOVE ME, YOU DON'T LOVE ME, YOU HAAATE MEE, I DON'T WANNA BE YOUR SON ANYMORE!!! D:"

Anyway, if you guys missed it, HERE'S YOUR CANDY, YOU LITTLE BRATS. :p

the Legacy Promotion is now expanded:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=410458

So, no need to flame green anymore, but as an extension to OP's Murphy's Law, Lol, players WILL AND WILL complain.

'WDF, I'm a character short of reaching Legacy 6, and I'M NOT VALUED!! unsubbing.'

'Lol, 23 legacy points short of reaching Legacy 6, BUT I'M NOT VALUED!! unsubbing.'

' I love the Star Wars merchandise, I beta tested, but I moved and was not able to play much, still Legacy 5, I FULLY SUPPORT SWTOR BUT I'M NOT VALUED!! FUUUU BW, UNSUBBING.'

'YOU GAVE HER ONE, THEN YOU GAVE HIM ONE, NOW GIVE ME MY CANDY OR IT MEANS YOU ALSO HATE ME FOREVER MOMMY.'

oh stop.

Nice post! :)

But I don't get other people here. Bioware said that they wanted to reward loyal players. That's a good thing right?

But people saw this negatively, why? They read it negatively on their end. Like a child jealous of his sister because his mother SAID 'I love you' to her and gave her a piece of candy.

"WHY did you say 'I love you' to her?! Why did you give her a candy?!!! NO, IT MEANS YOU DON'T LOVE ME, YOU DON'T LOVE ME, YOU HAAATE MEE, I DON'T WANNA BE YOUR SON ANYMORE!!! D:"

Anyway, if you guys missed it, HERE'S YOUR CANDY, YOU LITTLE BRATS. :p

the Legacy Promotion is now expanded:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=410458

So, no need to flame green anymore, but as an extension to OP's Murphy's Law, Lol, players WILL AND WILL complain.

'WDF, I'm a character short of reaching Legacy 6, and I'M NOT VALUED!! unsubbing.'

'Lol, 23 legacy points short of reaching Legacy 6, BUT I'M NOT VALUED!! unsubbing.'

' I love the Star Wars merchandise, I beta tested, but I moved and was not able to play much, still Legacy 5, I FULLY SUPPORT SWTOR BUT I'M NOT VALUED!! FUUUU BW, UNSUBBING.'

'YOU GAVE HER ONE, THEN YOU GAVE HIM ONE, NOW GIVE ME MY CANDY OR IT MEANS YOU ALSO HATE ME FOREVER MOMMY.'

oh stop.

I think Bioware made a mistake when they announced it as being a reward for being a valued player.

If they had just said it was a reward for completing your class story, I don't think people would have been as irritated.

Or maybe not. I dunno.

To the OP, that was an excellent read.

It's really a shame that the more sensible people playing this game are inherently less vocal than the refund/unsub kids.

I think this post should get a sticky and the OP should get a job at Bioware for his excellent PR work =)

If they had just said it was a reward for completing your class story, I don't think people would have been as irritated.

Or maybe not. I dunno.

Yeah, that would have lessened the rage posts, but I think Bioware really wanted to reward the loyal players something.

But, yeah with the scripting on their announcement, the other players that were really loyal felt under-appreciated, and they have a right to feel so. It really does not feel good for others to be appreciated while you yourself have done at least as much work they did if not more but is left unnoticed..

Anyway, enough about that, non-50's can also get a free month! ;DD Thank you BW for listening :D.

<-- still not going to receive a free month, i have like 8 chars, and my main character is not even done with act 1. LOL xD

#okay.. <.<

Game breaking means so frustrating you just want to log out.

No, game-breaking means you literally can't play the game or a certain portion of it. I personally haven't ran into anything in this game that falls into that category. Some annoying things, sure, but I can still play.

Every MMO has them, only the bads, like SWTOR, let them linger around for months.

Spoken like a true non-developer. Until you've worked in code and experienced bug prioritizations, release schedules, meddling marketing departments, etc., you'll never understand that you can't fix every last thing immediately.

F2P by August.

/rolleyes

Care to give me the lottery numbers while you're at it?

I understand and empathize with the plight of the working man.

But the bottom line is who gives a flying @#$%?

If you went to Burger King and ordered a Whopper, and after an hour they bring you a chicken sandwich, are you compelled to have sympathy because the cook's life sucks? Or do you just want your Whopper?