Character Transfers and Name Collisions

KinCross

This thread is not about whether or not we should have character transfers or whether or not they should be free or paid. There are other threads for those.

I'm simply curious to see how people felt about the "proper" way to deal with name collisions (i.e.: duplicate names) if/when servers are merged.

Is it better to (1a) let the incumbent keep their name and (1b) how do you determine the incumbent when servers are merged?

Is it better to (2a) let the longer existing ACCOUNT keep their name? Or, (2b) longer aggregate subscription time?

Is it better to (3a) let the longer existing CHARACTER keep their name? Or, (3b) longer playtime on a character?

Any other ideas? I have no recollection of how other MMOs have handled this as I've never actually done character transfers in other games.

I think it's best to let the most active of the 2 CHARACTERS keep the name.

But only apply this rule if the less active character has not been active for more then xx hours in a month.

Example to clarify:

Player 1 has the name "Player"

Player 2 (on a different server) also has the name "Player"

Player 1 then transfers to Player 2's server.

Player 2 is forced to change characters name if the character was active less then 10 hours in 1 month.

Though if player 2's character was active for more then 10 hours in a month, i feel that Player 2 should be entitled to keep the characters name and force Player 1 in to a name change, as that is the person deciding to move to a different server in the first place.

I'd say the same concept should apply for Legacy names, and base that on Legacy activity.

As for other MMO's the concept usually was:

Force player who transfers to server in to a name change if name was taken on said server already.

That pretty much is the standard.

Edited by XionoraSoulfire

1. I say the incumbents get the name.
  2. Don't do mergers, just close and do free transfers from the servers that are underpopulated to all but the most populated ones.
  3. Provide a tool in the transfer process that shows the servers where your name is available.
  4. Leave the decision in the hands of the transferee as to whther they want to change their name or where they want to go.
Edited by Matte_Black

There is no right answer. No matter what method they use it will severely piss off a lot of people.

I would probably quit playing if they forced a name change on my main. The only way I would willingly accept a forced name change is if I could also change my legacy name as well.

In every other game to make it simple destroyed the name when character was transfered, the user had to re-create the name and verify if the name already exist, if so rename your character.

What all of you are considering is complicated, and will just cost too much time and suffering for both BW and the player... Ive been xfered in 4 games already and seriously Ive past the point of keeping my name and remember the times I would play in dead servers for a long time and I dont want to go back to that. Just give me a new server with people to kill or to do raids please I dont give a rats *** if I retain my name.

Well, I guess that's one of the drawbacks to only allowing characters to have one name. In other games I played where you had the first and last name option, it was easier to get a unique name with the combination that it would be to only have one name to choose from.

I do like Matte's suggestion though. In the case of SWTOR where character naming and the Legacy systems are a bit different from the norm, in the case of server merges, then players should be able to choose a server where their characters and legacy will not conflict with names that may already be in place on one or more servers.

In every other game to make it simple destroyed the name when character was transfered, the user had to re-create the name and verify if the name already exist, if so rename your character.

What all of you are considering is complicated, and will just cost too much time and suffering for both BW and the player... Ive been xfered in 4 games already and seriously Ive past the point of keeping my name and remember the times I would play in dead servers for a long time and I dont want to go back to that. Just give me a new server with people to kill or to do raids please I dont give a rats *** if I retain my name.

Which may be fine for you - but SWTOR is a little different - heck we have a feature based on a name alone, so I think we are expected to have a little more vested in our character names than most other games. Heck, I don't RP my characters, but choosing the names is an integral part of character creation for me, and often takes as long as setting up the physical aspect. Renaming may be fine for those players who put no more thought into naming other than the "X x HanLOLsLeia x X" naming convention we regularly see in other games, but for what I would think would be most of us, it's a big deal.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

I hope transfers will be payed, like 30€/char so not everybody can afford to move to Freedon Nadd/Fatman/whatever server will be popular and kill them.

High pop servers will not be on the list of available servers to transfer to. They will not let people move to The Fatman as it already has 35min que times..

If someone is transferring of their own free will, then they should have to change their name.

If the servers are being merged, then I would say,

1. active sub trumps inactive

2. if all are inactive, then the one that was active last wins

2. if all are active, then most played time in last 4 months wins

Same names on one server usually not possible..... try, on any windows box, having 2 README.txt files in the same folder, regardless of case..... can't do it....same reasons on a game server.

In Linux OS, you can do this ONLY if the case is not 100% identical, ie;

README.txt vs. readme.txt

The way this has worked in other MMO's: new guy has to change his name......

Just the way things are.....