Guild Capital Ships

Voidwards

I'm certain that the idea has been thrown around here somewhere, but I've browsed the last four pages without finding any tangible information.

Adding the option for guilds to construct their own Capital ship into the game would tint towards creating a sense of pride and achievement beyond just killing Operation bosses.

The basic idea is:

Once the guild is formed, the guild can then opt to start funding and gathering crafting materials for a guild capital ship. It would be a big investment, so not something done in just a week or so. To tie this in with some of the crafting abilities would increase the use of crafting across the board.

So, lets say the guild has formed, and a few players have reached level 50. The Guild gets a Capital Ship tab added to the Guild Tab, where players can view current status of the ship and what upgrade options are available. To be allowed to construct the ship, the guild needs to obtain a writ of crafting from Imperial/Republic Fleet Command (Credits Cost). Once this is done, the Guild Master or Officer can then go about to assign work orders to people (think of this as a guild quest) where players are required to deposit crafted components at a certain dropbox to allow for the construction of the ship. This should encourage use of all tradeskills (Artifice can produce Beam Crystals, Armormechs do Hull Plating etc) for the basic hull to be constructed.

Once the hull is constructed, additional slots in the ship open up, allowing for various quarters to be constructed (Crew Quarters, Operations Deck upgrades, Ship Hangar upgrades etc). The GM/Officer of the guild selects what should be constructed next and allocates crafting orders as per the previous section. Building these areas in the ship should allow for perks to unlock for the guild as a whole (like f.ex. upgraded Ship Hangars could provide for more efficiency in Space Missions) and some rooms unlock new features. Trophy Rooms for Operations/Flashpoints/Warfront completions could also go into such a ship.

A Guild Capital Ship with sufficient upgrades can be deployed into other areas of space which unlocks Space Missions specific for this region. Completion of such missions unlock further Quarter designs and upgrades (Sith/Jedi Sanctum, Training Areas) with additional perks. Given game balance and all that, it'd be best left to the designers to figure such things out, but they should offer some additional perks or features for the guild itself.

If the future allows for multiple participants in Space Combat, one idea could be to allow a Guild to move their ship into contested space, effectively deploying the ship into combat. This opens up for other guilds to attempt to board the guild capital ship. Basically, flagging for this could open up multiple stages of boarding, such as a Space Mission to take out defensive mountings on the ship (which the guild can upgrade with the use of schematics). Successfully doing this, the ship is vulnerable for boarding during a short period of time, which opens up for a Warfront styled mission for both parties to partake in. Granted population balances, this shouldn't be too big, but depending on size of the invading/defending force (max 8?) various ones unlock, such as sabotage or sackings.

Getting the ship sacked sets back current production and causes some perks to be unavailable until repairs have been conducted. It also grants the victor unique schematics for crafting, gear, titles and Valor/Commedations.

There, got this off my head. It's very broad strokes of the brush here, but personally I think such a feature would be awesome. This adds a small sandbox element to the guild and could help promote community on the server as well once a few guilds have their ships in deployment.

Guild ships has been discussed. I am a fan. I think its a ways off yet. I like your idea. Guild ship with PvE and PvP misssions would be awesome. Multi-tiered quests, crafting quests, even operations all in a lengthy chain to aquire one would make for new content in itself. Beats doing operations just so you can get a new shiny piece of gear.

Apparantly it's not that far-fetched. I believe at the guild summits they said they really want to do Capital Ships for guilds. Here's hoping!

It goes way farther back than that. I remember a video interview with, Dallas and Ericson I think it was, and they said it was on the wall of crazy. They used words that suggested they didnt want to get our hopes up and certainly not for launch. The looks on thier face made it VERY clear it was not just something on the wall of crazy but something they were REALLY excited about and wanted in the game.

There'd just be one issue... Nobody would want to hang out at the fleet anymore, when your Guild has a ****** Capital Ship! lol

Yeah, there's the risk of moving people off the "main" hub. It depends on what features you put on the ship though. Some stuff, like GTN, class trainers, main quest hand-in points shouldn't go onto a Guild Capital Ship. Not allowing FP/Ops access from the Capital Ship would also move people onto Fleet, but it's a delicate balance there absolutely.

I think they should have different sized ships. I mean if you have a small guild of say 10, you cant really run that with 20 players. And I mean 20 PLAYERs. Not 5 guys with 4 toons.

Agreed to an extent - it shouldn't lock people out just for being in a small guild. I think a better threshold would be the costs of building the ship being sizeable, so the number of heads in your guild would decide how fast you build it. The different classes of Capital Ships in the lore could allow for some variation.

I Really, Really like this idea. I also love how the OP came up with a way for the guild to go about building their own ship using the crew skills. Kudos for that and hope Bioware takes that suggestion up. I think a Guild ship would be a great staging group for the guild to do ops from.

I would place it in the Fleet area with a taxi point to go from guild ship to main fleet ship.

I would Not put any trainers on the guild ship making people fly to fleet for trainers.

I would put a banker there to access the guild bank.

I would put droids or mission boxes/drop boxes there to offer guild/crafting quests that give guild perk points.

I would have a guild pass to work like the emergency fleet pass

I would place a group of training dummys in the guild ship to allow ops training for members. Maybe even including training dummies with low hitpoints to help healers practice their healing rotations.

I would have one room on the guild ship that allowed dueling. A guild arena so to speak.

I would also like a guild bulletin board where the GM and Officers can post notices for members including a schedule of upcoming guild events.

how bout hidden under ground bunkers as guild bases? sorta like SWG but there u placed the guild hall on watever planet u wanted then the guild mates set up there houses around it n formed the guild city...dunno if itd work w the # of guilds in game but its a nice idea, itd b like echo base if u did it on hoth, and hav the entrance all camouflaged n such Edited by NvyNuc

I think is really good idea. But only top and rich guilds can build the ship or bye it. in some popular mmos guild members had own castles houses. But not big VOID STAR TYPE CRUSER!! It willbe fun that guld master can move it on galaxy and non stuking on impereal fleet location.

I think they should have different sized ships. I mean if you have a small guild of say 10, you cant really run that with 20 players. And I mean 20 PLAYERs. Not 5 guys with 4 toons.

Well, how about 3 guys with 24 toons?

If you object it can be 1 guy and 2 women, 2 guys and 1 woman, or even 3 ladies.

The Fleet still serves it's purpose. The key is to not give a Guild Captial Ship all the services you would find on a Fleet. For examples, let's keep the GTN on the Fleet, as well as the Flashpoint center.

Let's think honestly and logically about what you would find on a Guild Capital Ship...

-Merchants/Requisitions officers

-Potential for instanced Player Quarters

-Training facilities

-Dueling Arenas

-Mail center. More mailboxes are always welcome.

-Quick Launch to Space Combat missions

Just a few things thrown out there.

The key remains, Guild Ships do not HAVE to have all the functionality of the Fleet hub, but it does provide room for additions that the Fleet does not have room for.

love the idea. But adding on to your idea, Maybe perhaps someone would have to pay credits in order to be able to construct parts of the ship? Yeah, you have to pay for crafting materials but capital ships cost credits to be able to make too. The credits could depend on the capital ships size. So for example, if you want it to look as big as Darth Vader's flagship (which is incredibly big) lets say.....like 300k credits?

I'm certain that the idea has been thrown around here somewhere, but I've browsed the last four pages without finding any tangible information.

Adding the option for guilds to construct their own Capital ship into the game would tint towards creating a sense of pride and achievement beyond just killing Operation bosses.

The basic idea is:

Once the guild is formed, the guild can then opt to start funding and gathering crafting materials for a guild capital ship. It would be a big investment, so not something done in just a week or so. To tie this in with some of the crafting abilities would increase the use of crafting across the board.

So, lets say the guild has formed, and a few players have reached level 50. The Guild gets a Capital Ship tab added to the Guild Tab, where players can view current status of the ship and what upgrade options are available. To be allowed to construct the ship, the guild needs to obtain a writ of crafting from Imperial/Republic Fleet Command (Credits Cost). Once this is done, the Guild Master or Officer can then go about to assign work orders to people (think of this as a guild quest) where players are required to deposit crafted components at a certain dropbox to allow for the construction of the ship. This should encourage use of all tradeskills (Artifice can produce Beam Crystals, Armormechs do Hull Plating etc) for the basic hull to be constructed.

Once the hull is constructed, additional slots in the ship open up, allowing for various quarters to be constructed (Crew Quarters, Operations Deck upgrades, Ship Hangar upgrades etc). The GM/Officer of the guild selects what should be constructed next and allocates crafting orders as per the previous section. Building these areas in the ship should allow for perks to unlock for the guild as a whole (like f.ex. upgraded Ship Hangars could provide for more efficiency in Space Missions) and some rooms unlock new features. Trophy Rooms for Operations/Flashpoints/Warfront completions could also go into such a ship.

A Guild Capital Ship with sufficient upgrades can be deployed into other areas of space which unlocks Space Missions specific for this region. Completion of such missions unlock further Quarter designs and upgrades (Sith/Jedi Sanctum, Training Areas) with additional perks. Given game balance and all that, it'd be best left to the designers to figure such things out, but they should offer some additional perks or features for the guild itself.

If the future allows for multiple participants in Space Combat, one idea could be to allow a Guild to move their ship into contested space, effectively deploying the ship into combat. This opens up for other guilds to attempt to board the guild capital ship. Basically, flagging for this could open up multiple stages of boarding, such as a Space Mission to take out defensive mountings on the ship (which the guild can upgrade with the use of schematics). Successfully doing this, the ship is vulnerable for boarding during a short period of time, which opens up for a Warfront styled mission for both parties to partake in. Granted population balances, this shouldn't be too big, but depending on size of the invading/defending force (max 8?) various ones unlock, such as sabotage or sackings.

Getting the ship sacked sets back current production and causes some perks to be unavailable until repairs have been conducted. It also grants the victor unique schematics for crafting, gear, titles and Valor/Commedations.

There, got this off my head. It's very broad strokes of the brush here, but personally I think such a feature would be awesome. This adds a small sandbox element to the guild and could help promote community on the server as well once a few guilds have their ships in deployment.

Love this idea and that people would actually have to work together for it rather than just purchase it. Also being able to customize it a little is awesome as well. Good post, nice idea

Maybe instead of a huge ship it could be an intermediate size ship that gets built from parts and pieces as rewards for doing certain special missions, like the new weekly missions for the new speeders as an example.

The ships can be docked at the fleet and you can easily travel to them through the inter-fleet transport system already in place, or say from the galaxy map from your own ship. Really could be a fun thing to work towards.

A GTN access point on your ship costs 2.5M, but a capital ship the size of Vader's costs... 300k?

Not sure about that math mate. It'd be closer to 300M, or maybe even 3B.

Capital ships are gigantic and quite expensive.

Absolutely, credit cost for this would need to be quite significant to make some sense. Perhaps building in some guild tithe system for it would allow for day to day funding - or ways for the guild to quest together and make money, like an 8-man quest that grants funds for the spaceship itself.