Bioware, if you're looking for balance,

olagaton

this is what needs to be done:

1) Lower DPS a lot, especially after 1.2. This game is full of CC and slows, so there is no need for one team/player to be able to blow someone up in a matter of seconds. This ruins the game for most people because they spend too much time running back from the graveyard.

2) Lower Healing/Guarding a little bit. Healing should be advantageous, but not to the point where a single healing discrepancy from one side or the other will singlehandedly make the objectives impossible. Healing was out of whack before 1.2, and I would venture to say it would probably be fine with 1.2 if BW didn't increase DPS the way they did.

However, since I'm calling for a DPS nerf in #1, I have to imagine that Healing would need to scale down a little too.

3) Scale Crit benefits down (both Crit chance and Surge). Sure, it's nice to see big numbers on the screen, but when you start adding these big numbers in, balance as a whole becomes much harder to achieve. I would take a balanced game with no crits, and a max attack of 100 damage over an unbalanced game where I can hit for 2 million. Note, you can't remove Crit chance entirely, because Crit itself allows for the unpredictability of burst to finish off a target, or overheal a player to bring them back from the brink.

4) If you are going to make changes, follow these rules:

a)
if the changes are drastic nerfs or buffs, make ONLY one change at a time to see the effects of the change in relation to the current state of the game. Throwing multiple drastic changes into the mix only exacerbates the issue and has too much potential to break the game even further.

b)
if the changes are small nerfs or buffs, use a little bit more liberty in adding those changes in. Sometimes it makes sense to only bring one change at a time. Sometimes it makes sense to bring multiple changes in -- but ONLY if they are small changes. And you must be aware of the circumstances of the changes being implemented.

5) Cap the % of damage single attacks can do on players. Burst damage is an important part of PvP, because you need to be able to make a quick impact at times, but it can't be overdone. As mentioned in #1, too much DPS is a bad thing. Skills that have short cooldown times (less than 10 minutes) should never be able to cripple an opponent for more than 10-15% of his health. Skills with longer cooldowns like 15-20 minutes should have the ability to do burst damage, but should still be limited to maybe 33-40% of a players overall health. This would eliminate the ability for players to constantly rely on their "insta-kill" abilities unless they are at a game-changing point in a fight, and instead focus more on skill rotations, trigger-buffs, skill trees, etc.

This change would also allow new-comers an opportunity to "play and progress" in a manner that still allows them to contribute and have fun. In the current game, a newcomer might have 12k health, and a well geared PvP veteran might still be able to 2-shot him with a relatively low cooldown skill rotation. With the change, those high damage abilities would 1) have a longer cooldown, and 2) take no more than 3-4k of the newcomers health with a single blow. THis would allow the newcomer at least a chance of reacting, adjusting, and reading the situation and trying to make changes to his game.

Furthermore, if players want to see big crit numbers, they could accomplish those by fighting more challenging players with more health -- since your attack damage would be based on the opponents overall health. Using the example above, the same attack that did 3-4k on a 12k newcomer could do 7-8k on a veteran that had 24k health.

I'm very certain that there are other changes that could help the game progress in the right direction, but I wanted to at least take the time to get my perspective out there before the players, the developers, and the entire game make decisions that they can't recover from. I understand that not everyone will agree, and that's fine with me.

Edited by olagaton

Feedback welcome....

Maybe you're right on 1-4.

But 5 is a madness. I understand that it can be frustrating for a fresh 50 to be instakilled, but it doesn't mean combat system should to be screwed for their sake. What you suggest has so many flaws.. starting from just more complicated combat, screwing specific classes (e.g. operatives would unsub) to screwing whole stat balance (everyone would stack dps stats, endurance would become bad for pvp).

Edited by DGolubets

this is what needs to be done:

1) Lower DPS a lot, especially after 1.2. This game is full of CC and slows, so there is no need for one team/player to be able to blow someone up in a matter of seconds. This ruins the game for most people because they spend too much time running back from the graveyard.

2) Lower Healing/Guarding a little bit. Healing should be advantageous, but not to the point where a single healing discrepancy from one side or the other will singlehandedly make the objectives impossible. Healing was out of whack before 1.2, and I would venture to say it would probably be fine with 1.2 if BW didn't increase DPS the way they did.

However, since I'm calling for a DPS nerf in #1, I have to imagine that Healing would need to scale down a little too.

3) Scale Crit benefits down (both Crit chance and Surge). Sure, it's nice to see big numbers on the screen, but when you start adding these big numbers in, balance as a whole becomes much harder to achieve. I would take a balanced game with no crits, and a max attack of 100 damage over an unbalanced game where I can hit for 2 million. Note, you can't remove Crit chance entirely, because Crit itself allows for the unpredictability of burst to finish off a target, or overheal a player to bring them back from the brink.

4) If you are going to make changes, follow these rules:

a)
if the changes are drastic nerfs or buffs, make ONLY one change at a time to see the effects of the change in relation to the current state of the game. Throwing multiple drastic changes into the mix only exacerbates the issue and has too much potential to break the game even further.

b)
if the changes are small nerfs or buffs, use a little bit more liberty in adding those changes in. Sometimes it makes sense to only bring one change at a time. Sometimes it makes sense to bring multiple changes in -- but ONLY if they are small changes. And you must be aware of the circumstances of the changes being implemented.

5) Cap the % of damage single attacks can do on players. Burst damage is an important part of PvP, because you need to be able to make a quick impact at times, but it can't be overdone. As mentioned in #1, too much DPS is a bad thing. Skills that have short cooldown times (less than 10 minutes) should never be able to cripple an opponent for more than 10-15% of his health. Skills with longer cooldowns like 15-20 minutes should have the ability to do burst damage, but should still be limited to maybe 33-40% of a players overall health. This would eliminate the ability for players to constantly rely on their "insta-kill" abilities unless they are at a game-changing point in a fight, and instead focus more on skill rotations, trigger-buffs, skill trees, etc.

This change would also allow new-comers an opportunity to "play and progress" in a manner that still allows them to contribute and have fun. In the current game, a newcomer might have 12k health, and a well geared PvP veteran might still be able to 2-shot him with a relatively low cooldown skill rotation. With the change, those high damage abilities would 1) have a longer cooldown, and 2) take no more than 3-4k of the newcomers health with a single blow. THis would allow the newcomer at least a chance of reacting, adjusting, and reading the situation and trying to make changes to his game.

Furthermore, if players want to see big crit numbers, they could accomplish those by fighting more challenging players with more health -- since your attack damage would be based on the opponents overall health. Using the example above, the same attack that did 3-4k on a 12k newcomer could do 7-8k on a veteran that had 24k health.

I'm very certain that there are other changes that could help the game progress in the right direction, but I wanted to at least take the time to get my perspective out there before the players, the developers, and the entire game make decisions that they can't recover from. I understand that not everyone will agree, and that's fine with me.

Stopped reading @ More healing nerfs.