Corso Riggs change in 1.2

EEFER

Am I the only one or does anybody else hate the change to Corso's attack in the new release? He used to pull mobs towards himself with a grapple like ability (I forget what it was called). I used that all the time to pull mobs away from one that I had CC'd. Now he uses a "jetpack" to jump to the mobs, which almost always has him breaking CC. The other ability was much more useful. If I want a tanking companion that does a rush attack I use Bowdaar. Now the differences between Corso and Bowdaar are even less significant.

Don't blame BW. They just listened to the majority of their players. Everyone complained about his hook shot. Instead of complaining, I just learned to utilize it and I agree, it was better than his jetpack, which looks cooler though. But Corso is supposed to be ranged... Why's he jumping into battle.

Don't blame BW. They just listened to the majority of their players. Everyone complained about his hook shot. Instead of complaining, I just learned to utilize it and I agree, it was better than his jetpack, which looks cooler though. But Corso is supposed to be ranged... Why's he jumping into battle.

That's funny. Isn't like they listen to us on anything else.

Look ... his problem was not that he used Harpoon which at times was a great idea .. the PROBLEM WAS IT WOULD NOT STAY OFF Frikken BIoware .. . The option to turn on and off Companion abilitys was BORKED on Harpoon shot ..

Every time you got on and off your speeder, or zones . or used taxi service or got onto your ship... any ole time, Corso would TURN ON >.. ON >>> ON BIOWARE ? THE COMPANION would self turn ON his harpoon ability after WE THE PLAYER said . , . NO , , , NO, , , NO, , , corso use your RANGE attacks I do NOT want the mob behind me .. YOU DUMB bunny.

So what do they do ? Completely change the ability, instead of FIXING one small problem with it ... HOW FREEEKIN DUMB ... All his other abilitys stay OFF when we turn them off .. Just this ONE ... *** ...

This type of stupid moves by game companies is what makes players Rage quit their games.

By the way ? This companion quirk is not limited to just corso ole buddy .. OH NO .. Akaavi Spar does the same thing with Her AOE BLAST push back thing .. What is going on here .. I turn it OFF .. and POOF .. she is blasting every CC within 40 meters of herself ...

THEY have a game dynamic messed up in the code someplace for a FEW companions .. Please someone Tell a DEV .. or a Code writer .. TELL SOMEONE WHO CAN FIX THE BLASTED CODE ...

Do NOT remake the skill ...

They fixed Companion abilities turning themselves on awhile ago. (Unless they re-broke it?)

Really this was a silly change. Ranged and melee tank companions already have almost identical skill sets, those who wanted a tank with a charge could have easily used Bowdaar.

They should have went the opposite direction and given the other class's ranged tanks the Harpoon.

Still have companions self turning on some abilities. So either the fix got borked by a hot fix or some other game fix or some companions did not get looked at ..

I quit playing corso for this .. so he might have been fixed ... I know Akaavi Spar was not as of 1.2 as I use Her exclusivley now all the time. I just keep checking every single fight that she did not self turn on her AOE ability.

They fixed Companion abilities turning themselves on awhile ago. (Unless they re-broke it?)

Really this was a silly change. Ranged and melee tank companions already have almost identical skill sets, those who wanted a tank with a charge could have easily used Bowdaar.

They should have went the opposite direction and given the other class's ranged tanks the Harpoon.

It was still broken as of this week for several of the other tanks....we have to constantly check to make sure they're not back in aoe mode after we travel. I played a smuggler scoundrel and a smuggler gunslinger, both with Corso currently as the gunsllinger is low level. I will despise this change with my scoundrel, Corso's harpoon attack easily pulled mobs right to her for quick application of a blaster whip to the head and stacking of UH. Le sigh. On the gunslinger I just wanted the ability to have it stay off.....I don't usually slam devs, but this was a borked decision, the ranged tanks should REMAIN at range, not take off to melee. I didn't like the last ability my consular's Lt. Iresso received in this regard as well, the same charging attack. At the very least, could they not have given us both attacks and allowed us the CHOICE? Stay at ranged or send companion on for attacking depending on what you're doing.....it wouldn't kill them to expand the companion hotbar eventually, and I hope they do! And seriously....fix the settings so off stays off....

Am I the only one or does anybody else hate the change to Corso's attack in the new release? He used to pull mobs towards himself with a grapple like ability (I forget what it was called). I used that all the time to pull mobs away from one that I had CC'd. Now he uses a "jetpack" to jump to the mobs, which almost always has him breaking CC. The other ability was much more useful. If I want a tanking companion that does a rush attack I use Bowdaar. Now the differences between Corso and Bowdaar are even less significant.

Here's my two cents. I hated the grapple hook when I first played a GS. I hated it all through beta. As with anything you adapt it to your playstyle. I never use Corso anymore with my GS, but with my scoundrel the grapple worked. It kept mobs close where I can melee. Now I hate the jetpack. I'd be happy to have the Grapple back.

yeah...still not sure if i like the change myself. the animation looks great, but he's not as CC friendly anymore. i don't think the illegal jet pack generates the same amount of threat either. at least it doesn't say it does in the mouse over description.

So what do they do ? Completely change the ability, instead of FIXING one small problem with it ... HOW FREEEKIN DUMB ... All his other abilitys stay OFF when we turn them off .. Just this ONE ...

the change to Corso was probably more to bring him in line with agent ranged tank i think her name is kilo or some such. It also (from a gunslinger perspective) makes him competitive with Bowdarr. i don't think it had very much to do with this problem

the former i agree with in general terms but i can understand why giving companions niches depending on player spec could be a strong argument against the later.

-edit-

not like it affects me much seeing as i usually group with a Jedi Guardian so Risha ended up being a great fit for a companion

Edited by RavinKing

the change to Corso was probably more to bring him in line with agent ranged tank i think her name is kilo or some such. It also (from a gunslinger perspective) makes him competitive with Bowdarr. i don't think it had very much to do with this problem

the former i agree with in general terms but i can understand why giving companions niches depending on player spec could be a strong argument against the later.

-edit-

not like it affects me much seeing as i usually group with a Jedi Guardian so Risha ended up being a great fit for a companion

That's the point though.....why make Corso competitive with Bowdaar for a gunslinger when the gunslingers had Bowdaar already? They took a choice away from scoundrels that maximized the CC playstyle. If they wanted IA's to have an even playing field, they could have added a grapple ability to Kaliyo instead, which would have assisted IA Ops. As I play an IA Op, a scoundrel, and a gunslinger, as well as a seer sage who uses the Iresso ranged companion at 50 as a healer, I'm well aware of what I can and can't do with regards to turning off AOE components to avoid breaking CC's. My sage has no problem with Iresso and his rifle leap as she stands back and nukes while she heals, but the harpoon simply worked exceptionally well with the scoundrel's requirements for Upper Hand, and the addition of something like it to Kaliyo would have done the same for the Agent. As it is, I can't wait to get rid of Kaliyo, and I've been seriously distressed that I've had to put up with her for 30ish levels as it is as an agent (they don't get a second companion until something like their sixth planet, Alderaan in the Empire progression, about the point smugglers/GS are getting Risha, their third). Nerfing a useful ability for the smuggler to make up for lack of utility to the Agent is stupid, as is duplicating melee tank abilities on the ranged tank. If we wanted a ranged tank to act as a melee, we'd be using the melee tank to begin with. I can't think, actually, of ANY logical reason for them to have done this.

Thank you , this last post is exactly my point. Obviously I haven't been following to forums regarding the upcoming changes or I would have joined to call NOT to remove harpoon from Corso, but now that it is in game it sucks. As I said, if I had wanted to use a tank that jumps into a mob I would use Bowdaar, which I do for those situations. Now there is really no difference between using Bowdaar and Corso. They just became totally redundant.

There was nothing wrong with Croso Riggs!

The problem was the stupid option to turn off Grapple Hook would never stay off!

WRONG SOLUTION FOR WRONG PROBLEM AND STILL NEW PROBLEM WITH NEW SOLUTION?

Does anyone at Bio Ware have a clue how to play the game really?

It's definitely impacting how I played my healing scoundrel. Now with no way to use him to get mobs away from me, I'll have to go to dps. Thanks bioware for driving another healer to dps in pve.

He works more like Kaliyo now, which I don't mind. If you have problems with him breaking CC, just turn off his AoE abilities that deal damage.

With all due respect, so what if you don't mind? You already had Bowdar who would run in and tank mobs where they stood. You also have Akaavi who will run/jump in and DPS mobs where they stand. For that matter, you also have Risha and Gus who will not run in but, rather, will engage mobs where they are. Exactly why did you need another companion who engages mobs where they are?

As far as the "turn off his AoE abilities that deal damage," of course that is what you do with him if you don't want him breaking CC. That is the same thing you do with Bowdar. That is the same thing you do with Akaavi and Risha. I don't have Gus yet, but if he has any AoE damage abilities, that is the same thing you do with him. It is the same thing you do with any class' companions who deal AoE damage and can break CC's if you want to use CC. The real question is why should I have to when, if they had just left his Harpoon ability alone, I could use CC and his AoEs.

The bottom line is that Corso was perfectly suited to a Scoundrels abilities. A Scoundrel has two CCs (one droid and one non-droid). A lot of his abilities are designed for melee range. With the possible exception of a Healing companion, what better companion is there for Scoundrel than one who pulls mobs away from mobs you have CC'd and into your melee range?

The issue is not whether or not one can adapt to the loss of his Harpoon ability. The issue is not even whether you don't mind it. The issue is that it was a pointless change that took away a companion perfectly suited to a particular playstyle and turned in into just another version of what we already had.

If you play sawbones this change is going to be a major nerf. I can honestly see where gunslinger wouldn't like Corso's harpoon ability; but honestly removing one companion ability that suits the close quarter + crowd control combat style of scoundrels just to give gunslingers a third companion that AOE crowd controls like another is a tad bit unfair.

:(

I hate this change. My scoundrel has to be in melee range to use any interrupts, so now I have to run into the group of mobs. I now have to play very differently than I have since launch. How I have to deal with wandering mobs and CC now is just borked.

There was a very big thread about this on the PTS forum and we never got a Dev response.

I had forgotten about this change coming, until I log on for my first session with my Sawbones, and while the interminable loadscreen is getting crunched through, I thought "Let's have a look at the forum." I now, having been reminded that my entire tactics base has to be redesisgned, have zero incentive to Alt-Tab back to the game.

It's a wrongheaded change that bodes ill for the future of the game's development (similar to the changes to the other two healing specs). It's reflective of some kind of empathy failure amongst the devs, also expressed in the frankly insane (and that's charitable) concept of trying to bribe level 50 players to stay with a free month.

BW: they Just. Don't. Get. It.

Add me to the list of people who hate this change. It took me a level of two to figure out how best to use Corso's harpoon, but now it is an integral part of my play style.

I made the mistake of glancing at the patch notes and not really reading them. What was the first quest I had to do after the patch? Lightsprings…sigh. I let the fight begin and repositioned myself for Corso to bring Diago to me and instead he jumped in to the fight and died rather quickly…while I stood there wondering what just happened. It was my mistake for not reading the patch notes, but as a Scoundrel this REALLY effects my play style. Now I have to re-learn and re-think my class….not what I want to do half way through leveling her.

Basically, I want Corso’s harpoon back.

There was nothing wrong with Croso Riggs!

The problem was the stupid option to turn off Grapple Hook would never stay off!

WRONG SOLUTION FOR WRONG PROBLEM AND STILL NEW PROBLEM WITH NEW SOLUTION?

Does anyone at Bio Ware have a clue how to play the game really?

Bioware does have a clue... The real problems is the players who complain about every little thing..(Not u guys this complaint is legit) Thats one of the biggest reasons why games are ruined...And many many people( not all of which were gunslingers btw) complained about his harpoon shot and I guarantee thats ONE of the reasons why it got changed.

Please forgive me if what I say is totally idiotic since I'm just learning to play this class....

I always thought the problem with Corso's grapple was how it completely negated my cover. He's haul whatever we were killing right over to where I was. It wasn't a huge deal on multiple targets, but when we were fighting bosses or single targets it meant I'd have to move.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.