Why not just hire more devs?

SuberBaird

*UPDATE*

As for writing code, no I don't know what goes into it and I'm sorry for insulting your hard work you do in your programming job. I just offered an idea of where they could have put the money that would have benefited the players most. I was wrong. I thank all of you for pointing that out to me.

But still do you all think that this was the best use of that money? Perhaps they could have done something better. What do you think?

*UPDATE*

I really hope a bioware dev reads this, but it will most likely be closed.

I see a lot of complaining about the 30 days free for level 50s. I also see people saying it was an apology for lack of 50 content.

But I have to ask, why the 30 days free? Why not take that money that you just spent giving the millions or so people a free month and spend that on hiring more developers to create level 50 content? That would have been better for everyone, because the 50s would have gotten content and the soon to be 50s would have something to look forward to.

I mean look at what you have now. Who would want to be 50, other than the fact you can say your 50? What do you have that will make current level 50s without a sub come back? Not much... This is how it should have gone down:

Dev A: "We should give a free month to our loyal customers!"

Dev B: "No, let's take that money and spend it on development so that all our players, returning players and future players benefit from that money."

:eek:

How does this create continued interest in the game? How did this free month encourage people to resub? How will this free month get people to buy SWTOR? Does it let your players know you care? Well not a single player really cares that a dev team cares about them. The players just want to play. You make a good game they will play. You make stupid decisions, they will leave.

I really don't understand this month free. If there is even just one million people at level 50 this game just missed out on fifteen million dollars. Many MMOs blow in the first six months of launch and they make up for it later, but to waste fifteen million is insane even if the profit of one month is 1%, that's still $150,000. This is absolutely bonkers and hard to believe that it just happened. :confused:

Personally I don't care about the fact that people got the free month. I kind of like the game and will continue to play it despite having a free month or not. What I really care about is the content we all just missed out on because of this bone headed move, as should every current and future member of this game. :(

Edited by SuberBaird

Because no development problem is ever solved by simply throwing more people at it. This is basic knowledge of any kind of software development.

/thread

Yes this is true, but when you have a lot on your plate, the more people you have the faster it gets completed.

Yes this is true, but when you have a lot on your plate, the more people you have the faster it gets completed.

I am not sure if you understand the cost/management of expanding and reorganizing a development team or the fact that hiring more people does not equal better results or time/efficiency (in fact, quite the opposite sometimes).

That's not true at all. Hiring more developers often slows things down in the short term. The expereinced people need to take time away from their tasks to train the new people and bring them up to speed.

Obviously in the long run it can be beneficial, but just hiring people doesn't make things automattically better.

Plus, there's still a shortage of good programmers out there.

A lot of the tasks are linear in nature and no matter how many people you have available, the most efficient way is having one person complete the whole task by themselves.

It would also take anywhere from 3 to 6 months for a new programmer to be productive. An MMO is a complex program that would be like learning a new language.

What if each project was broken down into different sections so that you could have a different team work on each project. The game engine is designed for this very thing. A team can be in charge of this part of a raid and another for this part and eventually you have a raid completed much faster than if one team were working on it. All a raid is just a series of rooms.

Or you could have several teams working on several different War Zones.

I get what you guys say, a big team can cause disaster, but a well organized group separated to do different tasks can accomplish wonders.

Because no development problem is ever solved by simply throwing more people at it. This is basic knowledge of any kind of software development.

/thread

pretty much this OP. as a developer too, we usually say this: 1 woman makes one child in 9 months but even if you add more women, you will not have that child sooner.

Bioware:

"Pleasing people is very difficult. Please all people is impossible. Make sure you are doing your best and do not care about the complainers."

pretty much this OP. as a developer too, we usually say this: 1 woman makes one child in 9 months but even if you add more women, you will not have that child sooner.

Bioware:

"Pleasing people is very difficult. Please all people is impossible. Make sure you are doing your best and do not care about the complainers."

"One woman produces a soldier, a million women produce an army."

Hire more devs now, wait a bit and have tons of content. Content that you can stagger the release of and have many patches good and ready to go for later.

i would say that the free month of gametime is probably because of them removing the ranked warzone from the update.

From the way I read the devs resoponses is that they plan on having major updates every month or every other month.

I really hope a bioware dev reads this, but it will most likely be closed.

I see a lot of complaining about the 30 days free for level 50s. I also see people saying it was an apology for lack of 50 content.

But I have to ask, why the 30 days free? Why not take that money that you just spent giving the millions or so people a free month and spend that on hiring more developers to create level 50 content? That would have been better for everyone, because the 50s would have gotten content and the soon to be 50s would have something to look forward to.

I mean look at what you have now. Who would want to be 50, other than the fact you can say your 50? What do you have that will make current level 50s without a sub come back? Not much... This is how it should have gone down:

Dev A: "We should give a free month to our loyal customers!"

Dev B: "No, let's take that money and spend it on development so that all our players, returning players and future players benefit from that money."

:eek:

How does this create continued interest in the game? How did this free month encourage people to resub? How will this free month get people to buy SWTOR? Does it let your players know you care? Well not a single player really cares that a dev team cares about them. The players just want to play. You make a good game they will play. You make stupid decisions, they will leave.

I really don't understand this month free. If there is even just one million people at level 50 this game just missed out on fifteen million dollars. Many MMOs blow in the first six months of launch and they make up for it later, but to waste fifteen million is insane even if the profit of one month is 1%, that's still $150,000. This is absolutely bonkers and hard to believe that it just happened. :confused:

Personally I don't care about the fact that people got the free month. I kind of like the game and will continue to play it despite having a free month or not. What I really care about is the content we all just missed out on because of this bone headed move, as should every current and future member of this game. :(

And in the meantime people like you through temper tantrums because it isn't happening fast enough for you. You obviously have no idea what goes into writing of code. Until you have some experience in software development, go away.

The fact that there are so many posts about people complaining about getting free play time, especially after a new patch, just blows my mind.

This just goes to show you no matter what bioware does people are just going to be immature brats about it.

"Damned if they do, damned if they don't"

The fact is Bioware did not have to give majority of their player base anything, they just released a huge....HUGE.... patch full of content.

Without this patch, this game has comparable endgame content to every other MMO out their, and considering it is nearly 4 months old... thats ridiculous. The only real issue this game really suffers from is the leveling process is retardly easy (which is why I cannot feel for people who are complaining they have been hear since day 1 and do not have a 50 yet... I am the epitome of a casual, and have leveled a 50, 47, 30, 30, 23, 17.... and still have had enough time to raid on my 50 and get some Rakkate gears)

If you are a hardcore gamer, it is clear this endgame is easy to blow through, but then again if you are a hardcore gamer, you are playing the wrong game.

And in the meantime people like you through temper tantrums because it isn't happening fast enough for you. You obviously have no idea what goes into writing of code. Until you have some experience in software development, go away.

Not throwing a temper tantrum, I just think the money could have been put back into development instead of just handed to players.

Things get dropped from patches all the time, people quit ect. How is giving away a free month going to help the game in any way? It is no different than people quitting. Those people that were upset from the no rwz are still not going to play or not going to play as much.

As for writing code, no I don't know what goes into it and I'm sorry for insulting your hard work you do in your programming job. I just offered an idea of where they could have put the money that would have benefited the players most. I was wrong. I thank all of you for pointing that out to me.

But still do you all think that this was the best use of that money? Perhaps they could have done something better. What do you think?

Edited by SuberBaird

You are wrong. Adding more devs is a stupid idea.

"The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering is a book on software engineering and project management by Fred Brooks, whose central theme is that "adding manpower to a late software project makes it later". This idea is known as Brooks' law, and is presented along with the second-system effect and advocacy of prototyping.

Brooks' observations are based on his experiences at IBM while managing the development of OS/360. He had added more programmers to a project falling behind schedule, a decision that he would later counter-intuitively conclude to have delayed the project even further. He also made the mistake of asserting that one project — writing an Algol compiler — would require six months, regardless of the number of workers involved (it required longer). The tendency for managers to repeat such errors in project development led Brooks to quip that his book is called "The Bible of Software Engineering", because "everybody quotes it, some people read it, and a few people go by it." The book is widely regarded as a classic on the human elements of software engineering."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

Edited by corbanite

Perhaps when you are digging holes then more people == more holes dug or existing holes dug deeper.

However software development is more complex. If you have someone tracking a bug, you can't just throw more people (especially those who are clueless about the existing code) and expect things to go faster.

Edited by FoxNemhauser

Another thing to consider is that EA, like most giant mega corporations tend to downsize more than hire.

Hiring more development staff takes money out of the pockets of the investors. And they would rather have every single cent they can squeeze out of EA as profit.