My Thoughts on the SWTOR Hate

bionamaster

You could walk around the planets in swg, Each planet had mulitple starports and various cities.

SWG was a virtual world were your toon resided.

SWTOR is just a video game, the planets are hallways or MOBs with no place to really go outside of questing.

SWTOR is not a virtual world and when you log out you dont exist.

SWTOR is NOTHING like SWG.

Both games are great at what they offer, but what they offer is vastly different.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"open world" and "sandbox"

I will start by saying I agree with you 100% on what WoW did to the genre.

However, I have never seen an "open world" or "sandbox" mmo. Not the same way Elder Scrolls games are "open world" and "sandbox" anyway, because in an online environment, you always need a measure of linear progress... or you start to lose people. Mortal, Darkfall and EVE have all tried to get there, and to a large degree they succeed... but then why are their populations so dismally small?

Well, because the vast majority of mmo players are casual and crave structure. They aren't looking for sweeping open-endedness or limitless customization. They just want to log in and know what needs to be done. They are addicted to the simple grind.

SWTOR is exactly that; a typical clone (of all previous mmos) set in the Star Wars universe with a casual, grindy feel. If that's not your speed, it's not your game, and unfortunately what you want comes at a price which casual players simply refuse to pay, so prepare to feel lonely and prepare to get beat up on... a lot... in the games that do take a stab at sandbox.

I ask for a responsible reply after you
, starting at 2:10, and tell me I should not be "slightly disappointed" about what we got in TOR, eight years later.

This looks about as exciting as dish water. Seriously, i have to laugh at the claims of "Deep immersive gameplay" that swg nerds rave on about. I remember running around tatoonie, seeing no players, no NPC's, nothing to fight, no quests....just feilds and feilds of player houses and harvesters that junked up the planet. I could run across entire planets and not see a single thing to do. "ohh look i am flying over Mos Eisly slowly" :eek:

This looks about as exciting as dish water. Seriously, i have to laugh at the claims of "Deep immersive gameplay" that swg nerds rave on about. I remember running around tatoonie, seeing no players, no NPC's, nothing to fight, no quests....just feilds and feilds of player houses and harvesters that junked up the planet. I could run across entire planets and not see a single thing to do. "ohh look i am flying over Mos Eisly slowly" :eek:

Ok, I understand you don´t get the point, you prefer your little "space ship instance", watching a bitmap of a planet on your cockpit window, instead of flying through the star system and planet atmospheres, looking out of your windows seeing players ganking each other, landing where you want.

Fine, BW did it right, simple games for simple minds = profit

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

'bout the 20th time I saw this...

So you are more intelligent/smarter/etc than all the others around who don't agree with you.

SUUURRRE..... nice to meet ya...

Now go away...

Ok, I understand you don´t get the point, you prefer your little "space ship instance", watching a bitmap of a planet on your cockpit window, instead of flying through the star system and planet atmospheres, looking out of your windows seeing players ganking each other, landing where you want.

Lord Ravenhurst, I wouldwish for you, inparticular, to refer to the original post. Please, respectfully post your opinion, and please restrain yourself from insulting other members of this thread, and the same goes to you who have been fighting with him. He enjoyed SWG more then SWTOR, that's fine, but we don;t have to yell at him about it and he doesn;t have to yell at us. Sound fair?

The frakin' gods. The only things that SWG and TOR share is that they're both Star Wars games. Honestly after taking a period to look over things and enjoy what little 1.2 has to offer that isn't a gimmick it's clear to me now.

TOR is what it is. SWG was what it was.

As a former SWG player I'm not going to lie I have a somewhat bias towards TOR just because of how much you could do and the fact that you felt immersed in the star wars universe. If you're not a star wars fan and you're an MMO fan SWG will not appeal to you, mostly because it was a real challenge and progression was tough from the very start.

In TOR things are handed to you from the very start and things don't become much of a challenge later on once you understand your advanced class and how to survive even the toughest encounters.

Now that 1.2 has added world events and made this game feel more like an MMO than before I have started enjoying it more. But I'm not going to delude myself, this isn't a true MMO. This is a blending of Mass Effect and KOTOR with multiplayer aspects. At least that's the way I see it.

TOR has real potential now and I really hope they add some things from SWG into it to make it feel more like an MMO should and more importantly how Star Wars should.

What would I do if SWG was re-released with an updated engine and graphics? I'd be very happy but I'd play both TOR and SWG. You get very different things out of each game. Fan boys of both sides need to cut it out and get over themselves. Your opinions are not as important as everyone else's and you can't stipulate why you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Grow up and start realising opinions aren't fact.

Edited by sambeta

Lord Ravenhurst, I wouldwish for you, inparticular, to refer to the original post. Please, respectfully post your opinion, and please restrain yourself from insulting other members of this thread, and the same goes to you who have been fighting with him. He enjoyed SWG more then SWTOR, that's fine, but we don;t have to yell at him about it and he doesn;t have to yell at us. Sound fair?

Sadly, most of the bickering on this thread comes from folks who have no desire to be reasonable. Nice try though.

Sadly, most of the bickering on this thread comes from folks who have no desire to be reasonable. Nice try though.
I'll see your thread and raise you a forum. Never understood the power that seems to come from hiding behind a computer monitor. :eek: Edited by GalacticKegger

The frakin' gods. The only things that SWG and TOR share is that they're both Star Wars games. Honestly after taking a period to look over things and enjoy what little 1.2 has to offer that isn't a gimmick it's clear to me now.

TOR is what it is. SWG was what it was.

As a former SWG player I'm not going to lie I have a somewhat bias towards TOR just because of how much you could do and the fact that you felt immersed in the star wars universe. If you're not a star wars fan and you're an MMO fan SWG will not appeal to you, mostly because it was a real challenge and progression was tough from the very start.

In TOR things are handed to you from the very start and things don't become much of a challenge later on once you understand your advanced class and how to survive even the toughest encounters.

Now that 1.2 has added world events and made this game feel more like an MMO than before I have started enjoying it more. But I'm not going to delude myself, this isn't a true MMO. This is a blending of Mass Effect and KOTOR with multiplayer aspects. At least that's the way I see it.

TOR has real potential now and I really hope they add some things from SWG into it to make it feel more like an MMO should and more importantly how Star Wars should.

What would I do if SWG was re-released with an updated engine and graphics? I'd be very happy but I'd play both TOR and SWG. You get very different things out of each game. Fan boys of both sides need to cut it out and get over themselves. Your opinions are not as important as everyone else's and you can't stipulate why you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Grow up and start realising opinions aren't fact.

I think that is part of the problem. your assessment is correct, and though i did not play SWG for very long. It was way to sandbox for me it was a true MMO with out question. the confusion and dilema lies in what you said TOR is a single player game with Multiplayer aspects .its almost more A kin to NWN profesionaly desinged persistent world then a MMO.

The Problem lies in the fact EA and BW marketed this as a true MMO with a 4 pillar called story when infact it was a True Single player game with multi player aspects. It has cauased a great amount of dissent among veteran MMO'rs and casual player bases that are used to a true MMO. this game is marketed at bringing in new MMO players from single player games and the facebook gamer generation.unfortunately the back bone of populations is the Veteran Casual and the hard core. Tor will never reach its potential with the limitations of its design and the engine its built upon, the game is rudimentary at best.

You could walk around the planets in swg, Each planet had mulitple starports and various cities.

SWG was a virtual world were your toon resided.

SWTOR is just a video game, the planets are hallways or MOBs with no place to really go outside of questing.

SWTOR is not a virtual world and when you log out you dont exist.

SWTOR is NOTHING like SWG.

Both games are great at what they offer, but what they offer

is vastly different.

the future devolpers should shoot for the best of both worlds.