Why does everybody want to REVERSE ENGINEER?

cheezehustla

you dont need to go raiding for mats space missions got them now :)...http://feature.mmosite.com/swtor/1.2_endgame_crafting_mats_and_space_missions.shtml

space missions are also a really good way to make money on the gtn, for 375 fleet commendations ( about 4hours or grinding) you can buy a puprle lvl 50 roll lockbox, which will give out gloves or shields, focus etc. easy 250k + on gtn depending on item.

or for 175 - 200 commendations (sorry can't remember exactly) you can buy a blue lvl 50 roll lock box and get between 50 - 100k on the items.

1. Buy orange shematic

2. craft it till you crit with augment slot

3. ???

4. profit?

Whats the point in Reverse engineering anything (except for the cosmetic hipsters)?

I think the real question should be, what is the benefit of the blue / purple items compared to the green ones.

For example, you could drop one of the mission crew skills for say slicing, or another crafting one and not worry about building blues / purples. I know for the rapid levelling until about level 15 or so, RE the armour or stims was not worth the cost in materials as the next available item would be much better. But as you get to 2-3 tier items then it seems to get better.

I RE items to get other stats cause not everything leads to Orange and some of the lower stuff you only want maybe a Blue or Purple to help a lower level friend/guildmate. I know I have crafted lower level items for starters on the station/planet to help them get started, but with 1.2 I might not as newer toons may be of legacy now.

okay, i dont want to hijack the thread, but what does legacy bring that might make crafting for low level chars not worth it ?

The problem with Reverse Engineering is that until 1.2 goes live, it just takes too many RE'ing to get from green to blue, i dread to think what it would take to go from blue to purple....on a single mod or piece of armor.

Usually, the problem isn't the rate of success going from blue to purple though, but rather, the result of a successful RE being a recipe you already know. When you are usually after 1 or 2 recipes, getting the others repeatedly is very, very annoying and sucks up a lot of mats.

And, of course, the other problem is with recipes that start blue. So you go from blue to purple...and then you go from that purple to a higher tier of purple. With the crappy amount of mats returned from RE'ing, well, when the recipe you are RE'ing uses 4 Mandalorian Iron, you're talking about flushing a lot of money down the drain to get the Endowment, Veracity, etc versions.

So far, the only crafters i have seen just want to make items that net them the highest profit gain, everything else is trash and is not crafted once they have maxed out their skill.

Those lower level items take more effort to make, is why. T6 is easy. As an armorcrafter or Cybertech, for example, I stockpile 4 mats. Durasteel, Zal Alloy, Ciridium, and Mandalorian Iron. Easy, simple, doesn't take up that much bag space. With lower level stuff, I've got to deal with 2 metals and compounds per tier. So covering a wide variety of levels will eat into my storage space. Those materials also aren't found where I travel, so no scavenging them while doing other things. Got to do missions for them and I cannot queue up repeated missions. Well, that or buy them from the exchange, but then you're talking about costs that are quite high and you can't find a sufficient supply.

There's also less of the dropped missions available, so getting the purple material is more of a pain, you've got to run regular missions for them.

And, lastly, the exchange isn't very friendly. There's not terminals on every space station, like there should be. The 2 day limit means items without a decent turnover are a pain. And there's the limit of 50 items.

More hassle, less reward. No thanks.

Once crafters get off their butts and do something, this is how it will always be.

Until BioWare fixes the system to be more friendly to crafters and their customers, it won't change.

Edited by Battilea

I think the real question should be, what is the benefit of the blue / purple items compared to the green ones.

For example, you could drop one of the mission crew skills for say slicing, or another crafting one and not worry about building blues / purples. I know for the rapid levelling until about level 15 or so, RE the armour or stims was not worth the cost in materials as the next available item would be much better. But as you get to 2-3 tier items then it seems to get better.

first of all you have to go through building the low levels to get your expertise up to the right lvl to build the higher tier stuff. You can actually RE a green item to a blue, and then too a purple, i'm still not 100% sure if its better than starting from say a blue and having 1 step to a purple though for the same lvl item.

The other benifit is that even though you might not need the item for long it's a quick way to level any alts you have quickly assuming they can use the same class of gear.

having a lvl 13 toon with all purple gear and augment slots makes duelling at low lvls fun :), plus gives you enough stats where you can solo most 2+ and some 4+ heroics.

Thirdly in 1.2 there will be more item drops that you will be able to RE instead of selling them to NPC's or GTN, that way you'll either get the mats from that item instead of farming for them, or have a chance to learn the schem for that, and RE or craft it for slots or the next lvl