I wish there could be a change in the MMO world...

RMohrfun

I'd like to know if there is another way to go about max level/end game content.

My friends and I just completed the first set of level 50 dailies on Ilum and Belsavis. I am sure there are more that we have not found as of yet. However eventually we will get to the point that we need to repeat those quests.

I really wish there was another way to go about this part of MMOs. This is not Bioware's fault, or Blizzard's fault or Sony's fault or anyone's. It seems like this is the Paradigm we are stuck in for gearing up our max level characters in any game.

I am playing with my friends and doing the dailies socially. That is fun, but even when you are with your friends repeating the same stuff over and over becomes a bit tedious.

I really wish there was solution. I don't see one. Thoughts I had and dismissed were:

1) Remove gear from the games: This would fix a part of the problem. There would be no need to do dailies to earn X to get a piece of gear. But um, what would be the point. If you can get to max level without any gear and then move on to the hard stuff without some differentiator (aside from skill) what would be the point. You might as well remove leveling from the game. Gear seems to just be another form of "level".

2) Create a ton of random content for dailies when building the game: Wow. Think of the coding involved in that. This would fix a part of the problem as well, each day something new to tackle. But again, WOW, think of the coding involved. Would the game ever be released?

3) Allow badges/commendations/"cupcakes" to be earned from other types of activity: This seems to be where we are with most games these days and the PVP system having an impact on gearing up. Even with this, the process become repeatative. I am not a PVP'r. As an outside observer (and someone that has done a small amount of PvP), PVP seems to be where a LOT of grief comes into MMOs. In a lot of ways it seems to ruin the sense of communitity on the forums outside the online game world. There are times I wish it was removed from MMOs. (I know, I know that would be a whole other thread, and not something that will ever happen).

Anyway, does anyone see a way around the repetition of the daily grind?

Thoughts/Ideas/Dreams?

Thanks,

A set of story lines (multiple world arcs) that award you the same things as handing in the daily commendations so that you can finish your basic equipping without repeating quests.

Or have you level 50 entrance level equipment be a reward for completing the class story.

There is no need at all of for repeating the same 12-14 quests over and over again each day.

All great suggestions. I especially like the mulit-world max level story arc, especially in a story-based MMO.

It seems that would negate the need to pay for a monthly subscription. That is definitely part of this problem. As a company they want to stay in business and we want them too as players, especially if we are engaged in the game. Dailies seem a bit of a give me money monthly-hook.

Edited by RMohrfun

You said something else that I missed.

We are talking about basic max level gear. At some point you have to move on from it. Even more of a reason to abandon the daily quests. At some point you need to move beyond it.

However then it becomes the raid grind, right?

You know; it sounds like you would love a sandbox game. Problem is, I have not seen a good modern one and I actually like this game even though it seems entirely the opposite.

I wouldn't mind if they ever did an expansion though; to where you could settle and do sandbox type things. Imaging adding 2 planets where you could build houses and cities and since this is EA, I will reference UO and one planet would be like Tram and the other like Fel. Of course, open PvP would need to be looked at for that PvP planet.

Could have the planets abundant in resources for crafting material. Rare creatures to hunt just for the sake of hunting them. Treasure hunting; not in a sense that it is now, but in the sense again what it was in UO could exist.

There I go dreaming again.

Edited by Technohic

All great suggestions. I especially like the mulit-world max level story arc, especially in a story-based MMO.

It seems that would negate the need to pay for a monthly subscription. That is definitely part of this problem. As a company they want to stay in business and we want them too as players, especially if we are engaged in the game. Dailies seem a bit of a give me money monthly-hook.

I'm thinking of making those story world arcs on Balsavis and Ilum take just as long to complete as it does repeating your dailies. For me it's less about the time that it takes to complete and more about coming out of a levelling experience where I've never repeated a single quest and being faced with the anticlimax of doing repeatable daily quests before I can securely run and Operation or Flashpoint in normal mode.

You said something else that I missed.

We are talking about basic max level gear. At some point you have to move on from it. Even more of a reason to abandon the daily quests. At some point you need to move beyond it.

However then it becomes the raid grind, right?

I'm talking about your level 50 raid capable starter set essentially the equivalent of an orange set with the purple mods in it from all of the dailies.

There are people that like the raid grinds and want the top end gear from the hard modes and nightmare modes and they should be catered for as well so I'm not saying change that, in fact it should be made more difficult give them something to achieve.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who puts in a smaller amount of time, has no interest in grinding hard-modes and nightmare modes and will be happy to get their basic kit and run through each standard mode flashpoint and Operations once or twice, these players aren't a threat to the hardcore raiders and the hardcore guild have no interest in grinding the standard modes anyway.

There is no way to avoid the repetitiveness in end-game content.

Even an army of programmers, designers, and developers working around the clock couldn't push out new content quickly enough to avoid players having to repeat content.

Without the repetitive content model then all content becomes obsolete after the first run through.

The change you asking for would require more than a shift within the MMO genre. It's going to require a complete overhaul of how content is created, tested, and published to allow them to push out new content on an almost weekly basis in such a way that it is affordable, productive, and relatively bug-free.

At this point in time the industry just doesn't have the resources or the technology to support this type of development. It would be nice to have it though. And I think some day we may have that type of game content in a future MMO, but I won't hold my breathe because there are some major technological and logistical innovations that will be requires before this type of idea becomes even remotely possible.

I think it is time for a revolution

Take away all numbers ( when you are in a fight in the real world, a number does not pop out of your opponents head )

No numbers at all, ( except maybe how much cash you have )

No numbers for armor, no numbers for hits etc etc etc

You learn to play by how it feels you did

different armor has advantages and disadvantages which you learn by doing.

etc etc etc

Horses... they are not all that expensive, and you can get one whenever you want, but the first time you ride near a creature it is likely to buck you off and run never to be seen again

Immerse us in a world, not in a spreadsheet

If I were to build an MMO, I think I would get rid of gear for the most part. Or else, the upgrades would be minimal. This does two things, not more grinding for gear, and you can look as cool as you want without really hurting your stats.

But, this provides a problem, as gear is what advances your character and make them more powerful in typical MMO's. So how do we give an incentive to keep playing? Depends, but I would do something like you have to search for skills/abilities. The more abilities you get, the more powerful you are.

Now, you can link them kind of like gear, where to get into this territory, you need this skill or badge or whatever. You can still have Raids, and Dungeons, but instead of gear maybe one person is granted a great ability? Or an upgrade to an ability they already have? Serves the same function.

But I would also make this more of a scavenger hunt than a progression. Just allow unlimited amount of powers, and you have to pick and choose which ones you want to apply. I also would add a lot of fluff powers, like stealth, or persuasion, fast running, you stuff that wasn't just combat, would make playing really fun and open up new possibilities.

Then, maybe you do something like WoW's accomplishment system, but make it a little easier for the most part, that would take the part of your dailies. Eh, just thoughts.

Lets look at the fundamentals involved shall we. The most obvious way to see advancment in a mmo is to attain access to harder content that in turn requires better gear thus the gear race. Thats just part of the world we live in but it is the one that gets most talked about and requested for within an mmo.

But there are other avenues that can be gone down some of which are just farming, others achievment chasing but to get beyond that you need a system that takes gear out of the system as much as posible and puts it down purly to skill which is very very dificult todo within an mmo especialy a land based mmo.

But where they could do this is within space where hand eye is the king. But if they do space right with space pvp also, it will add this aspect even though some may not like it because they are all about the gear.

To this there is also the purly social, for me swg pre cu hit the balance perfect. And i know some people would choke on there cornflakes if they ever saw a none combat class coming out.

Edited by Shingara

even in an sandbox you will have some type of grind.

grind to go out and find materials

grind to get gear

grind to get money to get your house

grind to advance skill

etc..

in theme parks the grind is usually the same

gear, dungeons, dailies etc..

No matter the structure of the game a grind must always be present. otherwise what would keep players playing? there's no such thing as infinite entertainment.

even a dynamic quest system which randomizes quest will ALWAYS come back to the same quest at some point again and again thus. once you'v experienced all the randomness all the sudden its no longer random. (GW2)

So in the end. perhaps MMO's aren't for you. Try single player games bro you'll find the experience short and sweet. 65 dollars for about 10 hours of solid entertainment and move on.