~{PLEASE READ}~ [HOW-TO] Find FP's on Low-Pop Servers

Solo_Han

THE ISSUE

I know what so many of you are going through... Trying to find a group for a Flash Point is a nightmare, if not impossible at the moment. That is unless you're currently living in 'The Fatman' (US) or 'Tomb of Freedon Nadd' (EU).

So, you bought an MMO, but spend 90% of your time playing by yourself, the other 10% either queueing or participating in Warzones?

If this is you, then please read on...

The LFG tool, let's face it. Sucks. I mean it's absolutely terrible. You can defend it all you want, but the fact of the matter is, for a game that's spent four years in development, and cost over $100,000,000 (yes, that's a lot of zero's), it's woefully inadequate. Being able to list 10 visible characters of text next to your name, that appears only if your name is listed in the third parties /who list, and has a tendency to change of its volition, will simply not do.

THE SOLUTION

So, yesterday I decided to do something about it...

All I did, was very simply type:

/create LFF

/unlock LFF

This creates a new chat channel (in my case assessed via /6 in the chat window). It also unlocks it, so that anyone can type:

/cjoin LFF

And join the channel.

THE REASONING

Now... You might be screaming at me, "This is useless, how is this any different to sitting on the fleet and spamming - 'LFG HM False Empire'". Well, let me tell you.

CHAT CHANNELS ARE GLOBAL. Anyone who has joined the LFF (Looking for Flashpoint) channel will be able to see it. Regardless of whether they are sat on the fleet, on their ship, on a random planet, in a warzone, or currently in a flashpoint.

The biggest pro to this is that the majority of time level 50's can't find a group easily, and so joining a warzone is a sure way to be able to see some action with your playtime. Once in a warzone, you're unable to see the fleet banter of people requesting groups. Opening up this channel solves that, simply, and effectively.

Using a global channel also means that players no longer have to run back to the fleet, sit there spamming chat, all in the hope of finding the tank they so badly need to complete their group. Players are free to continue with their general stream of play, even levelling alts on low level planets, whilst keeping an ear out for a HM FP taking place that their main could do. The same goes for the reverse... In a warzone on your level 50 toon, notice that someone is looking for one last DPS for Taral V, and you've been aching for your level 36 commando to go? Now you have the chance.

Finally, the channel is persistent. By that I mean, when you log out, and, inevitably log back in, the channel will still be there, and you will automatically be reconnected to it.

Don't want it cluttering up all your chat logs? Simply make a new tab for it along with the general tab, and you can view it when you're not so interested in how many credits you're looting, who's scoring in Huttball, or what your ships droid is incessantly spouting to you.

THE PROBLEM

Of course, there is one problem with this. To start a new channel is to start an empty channel. However, within the space of an hour last night (between 10-11pm) I managed to recruit over 50 random people into the LFF channel. If I can spread the word to those 50 within an hour, and each of them tell their guilds and friends, I can only assume the channels population will boom.

This is a tried and tested method of finding groups from Lord of the Rings Online. It works extremely well for them, so I see no reason it shouldn't work here.

THE END

So, I urge all of you reading this to take the initiative on your own servers, create a LFF channel, or join one that already exists, and spread the word. It really does work. Have an enjoyable and social play experience, every single time you log in. Stop sitting on your thumbs, waiting for hours to do a single flashpoint, and start enjoying this fine MMO the way it's meant to be.

Edited by Solo_Han

You, sir... are full of awesome.

I thank you, and I will be doing this the very next time I log in.

How about adding one more... and create a /Galaxy channel as well so that people can chat from wherever with everyone else on other planets, without interfering with the LFF channel?

Or does this dilute/compete/interfere with what your original aims were?

And is it better if it's /GALAXY or /Galaxy, or does case matter?

This is honestly something that should be there by default, possibly even added automatically once you flag LFG.

You would think so...

I decided to do this because I was sick of getting nowhere on my server, and didn't want to re-roll as I've become attached to my characters. I also feel I shouldn't have to put up with poor design choices, and that user affirmative action is necessary to fix 'bugs' with the current social system in place.

The most important aspect of implementing this system is getting people involved. I simply canvass whispered everyone I could find in /who, saying something similar to: 'Type: /cJoin LFF - The new GLOBAL Looking for Flashpoint channel - Say goodbye to sitting on the fleet. Say hello to FP's.'

Within the hour around half the people I whispered had join, and were using it almost immediately. The other half I assume were either too deep in PvP to notice the message, didn't speak English, or were simply AFK.

It might take a week or so to get your channel working effectively, but keep at it and it really is worth it.

Edited by Solo_Han

And what about the players that haven't seen this post? What about the players that don't spend time on the forums? Or the ones that just think it won't work and just not do it. Not possible to have all the players join this channel. Edited by Moromillas

And what about the players that haven't seen this post? What about the players that don't spend time on the forums? Or the ones that just think it won't work and just not do it. Not possible to have all the players join this channel.

You can talk to people in game as well. I post here mainly because I am only one man, playing on a single server. The more servers that adopt this convention, the more well known it will become, and therefore the more effective it will be.

To get everyone to join is a silly aspiration, and one that I do not have. It's not an instant process either, but LotRO (Lord of the Rings Online) has proven that it can work to glorious effect. It worked so well in LotRO infact, that anyone creating a new character or inviting a friend to play, would join the channel as one of their very first actions, regardless of server.

I can't see that it can hurt to create/join the channel and publicise it a little. Not everyone will join, but not everyone has to. 32 level 50's logged on, looking for heroic Flashpoints is more than enough for the tool to be valuable. 32 people using the channel = 8 possible groups. Plenty.

As I said, within a single hour there were over 50 people using it. Not an entire server, but a start.

Edited by Solo_Han

not trying to drag your idea down or anything, however most sservers use /cjoin LFG and is quite widely used on alot of servers, mine included.

being from a low population server myself (Niman) i find it quite easy to get groups if you are willing to put in the effort, using /lfg channel and /1 general in fleet are just a fraction of what you do.

personally i use /who for everything, dont even go to fleet tbh as its normally a ghost town. i just search for what im after, being a PT dps i start by looking for "jug 50" and just go down the list whispering them.

nowadays i just check the list for familiar names as i write down in my notepad their name and if they r dps or tank / healer so i dont have to keep checking.

they can keep thier long queues im happy with Niman :p

It's a good idea, but it does involve spamming chat channels in every planet and fleet to tell people about it, and then hope that they remember to rejoin it another day.

It doesn't have to result in spam. Getting the messages to your guild, so that their message of the day can inform its users to join. Telling friends, who in turn tell theirs, general word of mouth.

As I said as well, the channels are persistent. You don't have to rejoin each day. Your character will stay joined until you use the /cleave LFF command.

Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, I didn't fly to planets, spamming in general, I used:

/who 50

/who 1-49

And simply right-clicked on every person, and CTRL+V a generic invite message.

People don't get annoyed at receiving one random tell from a concerned player who is attempting to improve everyone's playtime, at least they didn't on The Ravager, my home server.

It took about 5 minutes to send c.100 whispers out, and had around a 50% join rate.

nowadays i just check the list for familiar names as i write down in my notepad their name and if they r dps or tank / healer so i dont have to keep checking.

All that money on development, and people are writing things manually down in notebooks. What a shame...

Anyway, I agree with you. However, using who to blanket whisper anyone who fits the profile isn't the best, or most efficient way to go about it. It also just stinks of World of Warcraft... 5 years ago!

If a LFG channel exists on your server, excellent! Mine, much like many others, either don't have them, or do, but absolutely no one is aware of their existence that they don't get used. Thus the reason for this thread, and the call to arms I'm trying to put out there with fellow TOR gamers.

Edited by Solo_Han

most servers already .have. global channels.

you are just furthering the problem by creating anyother one

currently my server (republic side) has

LFG

globallfg

LFF

yeah, imagine how many people actually use them ... :rolleyes:

and these are just the ones I know about. my old server had 'global' and 'globallff' aswell.

Edited by amnie

most servers already .have. global channels.

you are just furthering the problem by creating anyother one

currently my server (republic side) has

LFG

globallfg

LFF

yeah, imagine how many people actually use them ... :rolleyes:

and these are just the ones I know about. my old server had 'global' and 'globallff' aswell.

Exactly why I am proposing standardisation. Consolodate, inform, standardise, succeed.

You only have to look at the real world around you to realise that this happens all the time. Just look at Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Eventually only one survives, and progress can then be made.

Edited by Solo_Han

Exactly why I am proposing standardisation. Consolodate, inform, standardise, succeed.

You only have to look at the real world around you to realise that this happens all the time. Just look at Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Eventually only one survives, and progress can then be made.

oh I know, I don't disagree, I was mostly posting that to realise where the OP's err is at.

(in fact my signature said "/cjoin lfg" for a while) ;)

Easier method is to go to choose server, pick the fatman, click character creation button.

User made LFG doesn't really help when there are maybe 100 people on your server, of which the majority ignores no matter how much you spam theres a global lfg channel made. If people were going to use a chat channel, they'd mostly likely be using the tool BW provided us. Fact is todays kids absolutely NEED some button to do the work for them.

Edited by RocNessMonster

Easier method is to go to choose server, pick the fatman, click character creation button.

User made LFG doesn't really help when there are maybe 100 people on your server, of which the majority ignores no matter how much you spam theres a global lfg channel made. If people were going to use a chat channel, they'd mostly likely be using the tool BW provided us. Fact is todays kids absolutely NEED some button to do the work for them.

I disagree (obviously). For a start, I'm in the EU, so I'm not going to roll on Fatman. Second of all, I don't want to queue to play - that in my opinion is counter productive. Thirdly, I shouldn't have to. There are enough people on in the evenings in my respective level ranges to put together a balanced group for FP's. The problem is getting them together.

As I mentioned in the OP, most level 50 characters are in Warzones. They're not looking at /who (which is the only way to see the existing LFG system, and also only shows you characters in your current zone). They might however be looking at their chat windows.

It's not a perfect system, but it's definitely an improvement. 2 years of LotRO and one successful evening is enough for me to come to that conclusion. Hell, anything is an improvement over what's currently in place.

BW spoke a lot about community being one of the three/four pillars of an MMORPG, but have given the most limited set of tools to form a strong one I've ever seen in an online game.

Adding another channel to spam doesn't actually fix the situation at all....

No, your right, it doesn't fix it. But it certainly helps.

If BW aren't going to do anything about it, we as the inhabitants of these servers have to try instead.

I hear a lot of nay saying, all over these forums. If people were positive for a change and had a can do attitude then their play experience would improve.

THE ISSUE

I know what so many of you are going through... Trying to find a group for a Flash Point is a nightmare, if not impossible at the moment. That is unless you're currently living in 'The Fatman' (US) or 'Tomb of Freedon Nadd' (EU).

So, you bought an MMO, but spend 90% of your time playing by yourself, the other 10% either queueing or participating in Warzones?

If this is you, then please read on...

The LFG tool, let's face it. Sucks. I mean it's absolutely terrible. You can defend it all you want, but the fact of the matter is, for a game that's spent four years in development, and cost over $100,000,000 (yes, that's a lot of zero's), it's woefully inadequate. Being able to list 10 visible characters of text next to your name, that appears only if your name is listed in the third parties /who list, and has a tendency to change of its volition, will simply not do.

THE SOLUTION

So, yesterday I decided to do something about it...

All I did, was very simply type:

/create LFF

/unlock LFF

This creates a new chat channel (in my case assessed via /6 in the chat window). It also unlocks it, so that anyone can type:

/cjoin LFF

And join the channel.

THE REASONING

Now... You might be screaming at me, "This is useless, how is this any different to sitting on the fleet and spamming - 'LFG HM False Empire'". Well, let me tell you.

CHAT CHANNELS ARE GLOBAL. Anyone who has joined the LFF (Looking for Flashpoint) channel will be able to see it. Regardless of whether they are sat on the fleet, on their ship, on a random planet, in a warzone, or currently in a flashpoint.

The biggest pro to this is that the majority of time level 50's can't find a group easily, and so joining a warzone is a sure way to be able to see some action with your playtime. Once in a warzone, you're unable to see the fleet banter of people requesting groups. Opening up this channel solves that, simply, and effectively.

Using a global channel also means that players no longer have to run back to the fleet, sit there spamming chat, all in the hope of finding the tank they so badly need to complete their group. Players are free to continue with their general stream of play, even levelling alts on low level planets, whilst keeping an ear out for a HM FP taking place that their main could do. The same goes for the reverse... In a warzone on your level 50 toon, notice that someone is looking for one last DPS for Taral V, and you've been aching for your level 36 commando to go? Now you have the chance.

Finally, the channel is persistent. By that I mean, when you log out, and, inevitably log back in, the channel will still be there, and you will automatically be reconnected to it.

Don't want it cluttering up all your chat logs? Simply make a new tab for it along with the general tab, and you can view it when you're not so interested in how many credits you're looting, who's scoring in Huttball, or what your ships droid is incessantly spouting to you.

THE PROBLEM

Of course, there is one problem with this. To start a new channel is to start an empty channel. However, within the space of an hour last night (between 10-11pm) I managed to recruit over 50 random people into the LFF channel. If I can spread the word to those 50 within an hour, and each of them tell their guilds and friends, I can only assume the channels population will boom.

This is a tried and tested method of finding groups from Lord of the Rings Online. It works extremely well for them, so I see no reason it shouldn't work here.

THE END

So, I urge all of you reading this to take the initiative on your own servers, create a LFF channel, or join one that already exists, and spread the word. It really does work. Have an enjoyable and social play experience, every single time you log in. Stop sitting on your thumbs, waiting for hours to do a single flashpoint, and start enjoying this fine MMO the way it's meant to be.

Almost seems like this is something that should be built into the game... maybe not something paying players would have to take an "initiative" with, eh?

We all know that the LFG system is and total GARBAGE and its piss poor development. And nothing is changing in 1.2 which is just mind boggling.

WE ALL GET THAT!

The OP is just trying to help people get into groups.

I told everybody to do this a week into the game. Good advice. But no one listens.

How long did you keep it up? Like I said, it won't happen over night. You need to be persistent. If you just encouraged people to do it for an hour one afternoon, that obviously isn't going to make the kind of impact we need to make.

If you keep going for weeks, then you'll start to notice a solid change. Change takes time, but change is also well worth it.

Edited by Solo_Han

Or, you know, the standardization can come from BioWare in the form of a tool that not only lets us register that we're interested and what we're interested in grouping for, but automatically assembles the group with the right components...

This is honestly something that should be there by default, possibly even added automatically once you flag LFG.

This needs to be added in 1.2. Now people will actually use LFG flag.