Which Class?

Zloww

Hey guys,

I've been playing the game now for a few months (pretty much since launch) and have had trouble selecting a character. I find that I generally get bored with characters around tatooine and want to reroll another one. I feel that I haven't found the character that clicks with me. For those that have played other MMOs I have greatly enjoyed a WoW Mage and DK. In Warhammer I liked my marauder and witch hunter and in Rift I played warrior. I need a class that puts out DPS but also is highly capable 1v1.

Side note: I have read up on all the characters but am still having this dilemma.

If anyone has some insight on an answer it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Happy Hammering

Hey guys,

I've been playing the game now for a few months (pretty much since launch) and have had trouble selecting a character. I find that I generally get bored with characters around tatooine and want to reroll another one. I feel that I haven't found the character that clicks with me. For those that have played other MMOs I have greatly enjoyed a WoW Mage and DK. In Warhammer I liked my marauder and witch hunter and in Rift I played warrior. I need a class that puts out DPS but also is highly capable 1v1.

Side note: I have read up on all the characters but am still having this dilemma.

Thanks in advance,

Happy Hammering

Are you Republic or Empire? If Republic then you should probably play a Jedi Knight or Consular, or even a Trooper or Smuggler.

If you're Empire then you might find that a Sith Warrior or Inquisitor is more your thing, and if not then a Bounty Hunter or Imperial Agent will probably be right up your street.

Seriously though, if you've changed class a number of times then just keep doing that until you find one you like. Just because someone here says such-and-such a class is the one you should play doesn't mean you will like it, so just try them all. You can have 8 chars per server and a total of 40 chars all together so just do it.

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance,

Happy Hammering

I can't relate to the WoW, WH or Rift classes as those are 3 of the MMOs that I have never played. However, for a DPS class that can be viable in 1v1, I would look at the Sentinel/Marauder advanced class of the Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior.

They have a huge list of abilities so the rotation is complex, and they really only come into the sweet spot of playability later in the game (like level 40+), but if you can master the class then it is as close to a God-mode for SWTOR as there is at the moment.

If you want a ranged class, then I would suggest looking at either a hybrid-spec Sage/Sorcerer from the Jedi Consular/Sith Inquisitor class, or a Commando/Mercenary from the Republic Trooper/Empire Bounty Hunter class. The Sage/Sorcerer will struggle 1v1 against a player who knows what they are doing, but they do have the utility to be usable in most situations.

So you liked Rift's warrior? Go marauder then - top melee dps (maybe simply top dps), great (if not top) survivability, healing debuff, great mobility. Hardest to play right though.

Or tank spec assassin in dps gear. But don't fall asleep of boredom. xP

Those classes excel in 1v1 and are awesome in warzones.

Try a Balance shadow/ madness assasin

The play style is a bit difficult when you first get into it, once you understand where the strength is I find that very few people can beat me.

I have the hardest time with I would say powertechs and some marauders, but ive been learning to kite them and wear them down and as a result ive been doing much better.

In warzones literally 90 % of the time im top dps and top kills, having a blast with this spec.

Its also a somewhat rarer breed most shadows in warzones are kinetic or infiltration people usually dont know how to counter a balance shadow...and even if they did unless they had a healer cleansing or could do it themselves they would be screwed.

It helps to think of the class as a Combat Mage...I always thought the shadow would be more melee then anything else and its true for Infiltration. But once I adopted that concept I made use of my ability to dot up and run in out of melee.

make use of your 10 M range especially on other melee

and make use of your upclose abilites on other ranges your actually pretty strong in both cases.

Downsides?

Your squishy, you get focused your dead

If you play around with an opponent for too long your dead

make your kills fast and vicious

Your toughest kills will be heavily armored foes I often have the most trouble with tanky types so I avoid them if I can or ill dot em up from afar and hope they dont notice me.

Lack of burst?? some would say this is the traditional downside to balance....this is only true if your comparing it to infiltration...and even then....I would go as far as saying if there is a lack of burst we're talking 10-15 %

I kill people plenty fast, and more subtly.. ironically theres nothing subtle about infiltration. Being backstabbed repeatedly and chased around...people catch on.

Dropping force in balance ( subtle graphic)

force breach dot ( subtle graphic)

sever force ( subtle graphic )

and then coming in for some melee is far less noticeable the melee will then proc a free powerful Dot for even more dotty goodness .

By time they notice you coming in for the melee they look at there HP and its half gone.

Most of the time they panic and its over... sometimes they are smart in which case ill stun them and back stab them this will usually be dropping them to 30 % or less and then its execute time its all over... I seriously win 1v1's a lot of the time with 80 % hp left mostly because they have no idea im laying down my dots from behind them and at 10ms

try out the class/spec im in love with it

...I've been playing the game now for a few months (pretty much since launch) and have had trouble selecting a character. I find that I generally get bored with characters around tatooine and want to reroll another one. I feel that I haven't found the character that clicks with me...

It's a personal choice. And unlike you, I'm a total noob to MMOs, but here goes anyhow. :D

I really enjoyed leveling up my gunnery-spec commando. Almost pure DPS, a lot simpler to play than the melee classes, and it's fun to kill opponents with a short series of grav round X 2, demo round, high impact bolt. But maras will eat your lunch if they catch you alone, especially if there is a group of them.

I've also enjoyed playing my focus-spec'd Jedi Sentinel. Absolutely pure DPS, much harder to play than the trooper, but the force leap and force stasis are a kick.

But be warned: I've heard several Sentinel players mention getting discouraged around levels 30 to 40. At that point they complain that the Sentinel seems over matched by other classes and not even able to do a decent job of fleeing. I also hear that if you make it through this, additional skills/powers arrive somewhere in the 40's, and the Sents again are DPS kings.

Need help with a class, simple:

1. Read the forums and see what people are denouncing as OP and complaining about losing to.

2. Roll that class.

Of course, it'll eventually get nerfed if the devs are smart, so keep a class whose style you're comfortable with on the side. Also, 1.2 is coming out so if you want a sith pureblood jedi or whatever you'll need to either save the money or play a sith to that level. I'm saying you'll have more options in 1.2 so it'd be best to just level up one main before committing, preferably either a human or whatever race you want whatever class to be (human for the presence bonus, may make leveling your next character go smoother).

Personally, I'm fond of stealth classes, because you could pick and choose your fights and on the way back to turning in quests you could stealth past mobs, which takes up a lot of time on non-stealth classes. Here is a WoW comparison with the classes:

Operative/Scoundrel: Rogue with gimped stealth level, DPS, and no gap closers, but healing ability is almost compensation.

Gunslinger/Sniper: Hunters without pets (apart from companions, but you can't bring them to PvP or raids) and with a cover mechanic. Also, they have no flare to my knowledge, which was given to BHs/Troopers.

Sage/Sorc: Shadow priest, or healing spec somewhat of a holy priest with some shadow abilities. Reviviify/salvation is also like the shaman's healing circle.

Assassin/Shadow: Definitely feral druids because of stealth (kitty) and tanking (bear).

Merc/Commando: Definitely a ranged paladin, but without tanking (despite still having heavy armor...)

Powertech/Vanguard: Ranged death knight? I know they have death grip and an AoE DoT with the flamethrower spin move.

Warrior/Knight: Warriors, of course. Though I'm not too familiar with guardian and its imp equivalent yet.

Edited by Agemnon