Vanguard or Sentinel

KNOwen

Hullo,

I'm currently playing a Kinetic Shadow, but one of the things it can't do really well in my opinion is shutting down healers and I'm getting annoyed with the fact that a lot of PUGers seem to ignore them. So I'm thinking of rolling a class that can do that job better than my shadow and was hoping you guys could give me your thoughts which of the ACs is better suited for that purpose. Here's what I have so far

Vanguard:

- Storm

- 6s interrupt

- Harpoon

- Cryo Grenade

- Neural Surge

Sentinel

- Leap

- 6s interrupt

- Force Stasis

Group Utility

Vanguard

- Guard

- Neural Surge

- Sonic Round

Sentinel

- Inspiration

- Transcendence

Will run Iron Fist for Vanguard and Watchman for Sentinel, did I miss anything?

Marauder, hands down.

Especially if you want to be a healer killer; they are the best in the game at the role. Exactly the reason why I rolled one, actually. Don't forget about the healing debuff that only Marauders/Snipers provide.

I am a Powertech, if that tells you anything about who is better at it.

Iron Fist isn't really a healer shutdown spec, btw, it's a tank build focused on maximum mitigation alongside utility.

Edited by Varicite

Vanguard:

- Storm

- 6s interrupt

- Harpoon

- Cryo Grenade

- Neural Surge

TBH, I've never played Sentinel, but I recommend Vanguard for their overall utility.

I can easily shutdown healer casts, while the DPS team does the rest, and of course guarding our own teammates.

Not too mention, we haz HARPOON!!!

:D

Edited by Pistols

Actually, the interrupt w/IF is 4 seconds. :)

You're the 2nd person I've seen say this.

The interrupt is 8 seconds baseline, and the talent in Tactics/Advanced Prototype lowers it to a 6 second cooldown. Where are you getting the 4 from?

Oooh, or did you mean the interrupt duration? I think he was talking about the cooldown.

Marauder, hands down.

Especially if you want to be a healer killer; they are the best in the game at the role. Exactly the reason why I rolled one, actually. Don't forget about the healing debuff that only Marauders/Snipers provide.

I am a Powertech, if that tells you anything about who is better at it.

Iron Fist isn't really a healer shutdown spec, btw, it's a tank build focused on maximum mitigation alongside utility.

I chose Iron Fist over Omegix because of the extra interrupt through Storm.

Forgot about the healing debuff, that certainly tips the balance in favour of Sentinel.

Guess a Sentinel and a Vanguard, guarding the sentinel, would be very effective.

Remember a Vanguard's dps is very meh, especially if you take all those tactics points. You can run around chasing healers all day but if your group is not coordinating they won't die. A guarded healer in full BM...man you can almost forget it, hopefully 1.2 will make it easier. Also as a Vanguard you run slow and will often get snared, getting away on low health is usually impossible with no force run. BH's will target you because you are an easy kill. There are many drawbacks.

Crazy as it may seem I find one of my most useful abilities as a Vanguard is my point blank aoe nuke...it racks up great damage when enemies are bunched together and best of all when some somebody goes stealth on you one nuke and bam they reappear. It's also great for guarding doors/turrets. Same for mortar. Vanguard has some good abilities but I would not rank the interrupt all that high.

I chose Iron Fist over Omegix because of the extra interrupt through Storm.

Forgot about the healing debuff, that certainly tips the balance in favour of Sentinel.

Guess a Sentinel and a Vanguard, guarding the sentinel, would be very effective.

I use a deep Pyro spec atm (2/12/27) that takes the 6 second Quell and goodies from the middle tree along w/ all of the important talents in Pyro for damage. I think it's close to what Omegix runs, and he seems to do incredibly well for himself w/ it. Pretty sure he won our server's first dueling contest using his variant of the spec. (I've only dueled him once, but I won : )

It doesn't have the survivability of Iron Fist when focused, but it definitely defiles any healer that isn't a Commando. Probably a lot better than Iron Fist, even including the charge interrupt (which isn't necessary in most cases, except against a Commando healer, which you will not be able to kill as Iron Fist anyway).

It's definitely very sound for healer-killing, as that's my primary duty and the reason I chose the spec.

Even w/ all that said, for just killing heals, I would choose my Marauder first. For overall gameplay, however, I like the Powertech better thanks to the utility of taunts, grapple, and Carbonize.

35 second Grapple cooldown in Huttball and mild situational awareness is a nightmare on defense. : )

Edited by Varicite