Idea for "fixing" Corruption sorc resource management

xZarquon

I originally posted this in the "1.2 sorc nerfs" thread, but i was almost immediately lost in the dozens of posts. So, I'm posting it again here to get feedback.

While I don't like the change to Dark Infusion, it seems the biggest complaint is the change to force surge. Even if sorcs can "heal forever" I never really understood why that's a problem as there's plenty of notes in the BH and Op forums describing how with such and such rotation, energy never falls below maximum regen (indefinitely). Sorcerer's still needed to waste a global cooldown to cast consumption off the proc. Even if this was not working as intended, what I don't understand is why corruption sorcs are the only type of this class to have no real method of managing force.

Lightning has lightning effusion

Madness has Sith Efficacy

As the skills routinely used by the corruption tree cost just as much, if not more force power than the skills in these other trees wouldn't it make sense to have something similar? (it's not like consumption isn't available to these trees in a force emergency situation.)

What I'd propose is to replace Force Surge completely with something like Lightning effusion. If, as the patch notes seem to imply, they want sorcs to use dark heal more, they could even make it something specific like "dark heal critical hits have a 50/100% chance to reduce the force cost of your next 2 heals by 50%." This would both allow some sort of force management as well as promote use of dark heal. While not very good as an emergency heal, it could certainly be slipped into most fights to top players or the tank off. Additionally, this would work pretty nicely with the change to force bending's effect to Dark Heal.

Edited by xZarquon

How 'bout we just convert Force Surge to "Innervate crits restore 6/12 Force". Grants around 2/3rds the current average regen of 1.1.5's Force Surge, and eliminates the clunky "wasted" GCDs from Consumption cast (and restores Consumption to the original purpose, an emergency stop-gap measure similar to an Operative's Adrenaline Probe). Edited by Daellia

How 'bout we just convert Force Surge to "Innervate crits restore 6/12 Force". Grants around 2/3rds the current average regen of 1.1.5's Force Surge, and eliminates the clunky "wasted" GCDs from Consumption cast (and restores Consumption to the original purpose, an emergency stop-gap measure similar to an Operative's Adrenaline Probe).

Makes too much sense.

How 'bout we just convert Force Surge to "Innervate crits restore 6/12 Force". Grants around 2/3rds the current average regen of 1.1.5's Force Surge, and eliminates the clunky "wasted" GCDs from Consumption cast (and restores Consumption to the original purpose, an emergency stop-gap measure similar to an Operative's Adrenaline Probe).

Always thought this was a good model. Killing yourself to heal was a stupid idea to begin with.

That was actually my original idea, but posted this as it seemed that one of the major reasons for the change was to promote the use of dark heal.

Well, the thing is, Dark Heal is very obviously modeled on Flash Heal from WoW. Given this, the change to Resurgence makes sense: convert Dark Heal back to being the "clutch" heal. That's all that's needed. If you try to integrate Dark Heal into your regen mechanic, you're going to generate some highly unintuitive gameplay (though not quite as unintuitive as the current 1.2 changes), as players will be encouraged to use their least efficient spell as a regen mechanic.

Beyond that, it would severely dampen the effectiveness of Force Surge. Let's use a relatively simplified model for the sake of sanity. Let's assume you have 40% buffed crit chance (not to hard as a healer, only takes around 250-300 crit rating if you have both crit skills). This gives Dark Heal a 100% chance to grant Force Surge after Resurgence and a 40% chance on its own. Now you have 4 spells left to cast after Dark Heal: Innervate, Static Barrier, Dark Infusion, and Revivification. I'm going to posit a rough probability of casting each in the 2 spells following Dark heals as the following:

Dark Infusion: 50%

Innervate: 20%

Static Barrier: 10%

Revivification: 20%

I weighted the probabilities toward the more expensive spells, both for the purposes of error, and because smart Sorcs in this system would preferentially cast more expensive spells during the stacks of Force Surge. Thus your average Force cost for each of those 2 spell casts would be: 51*0.5 + 37*0.2 + 35*0.1 + 91*0.2 = 54.6 Force. This means each crit of Dark Heal saves you an average of 54.6 Force, given the above assumptions (more Force saves the more you weight casting during Force Surge to expensive spells). Following a Resurgence, this is a very small net Force gain, as Dark Heal costs 46. You basically get a Dark Heal's worth of healing for free, plus a smidge extra (about one tick of Innervate). Casting Dark Heal outside of Force Bending would give you an average savings of 21.84 Force, reducing the average cost of Dark Heal by 47.5%. This is barely enough to let Dark Heal squeeze by Dark Infusion for HPF, but still leaves it below the other spells.

The really interesting part is that, at 40% crit chance, the likelihood of not getting a crit over 2 spell casts is 36%. Thus, if you chain cast Dark Heal, each cast would have a 74% chance of having a Force Bending proc active on cast, reducing the average net cost of Dark Heal by 37% to 29 Force. If you throw in a guaranteed crit (Force Bending) on Resurgence cooldown, plus occasional uses of Static Barrier and Innervate, you actually end up in a system where Dark Infusion may be replaced by Dark Heal spam instead.

This is why I favor simply tacking a static regen proc into Innervate crits, as it doesn't change current gameplay at all (except removing Consumption usage, which would amplify our single-target HPS a bit while increasing our net Force usage, further reducing our effective Force efficiency, the stated goal). Innervate is still the basis of your regen, and thus the casting dynamics aren't changed. Dark Heal becomes the clutch heal (as the Resurgence change was obviously intended to do), Dark Infusion becomes the slow but relatively efficient spell (actually, it'd be better if Dark Infusion's base cost was 50 or even 45. This would offset some of the additional cast usage from the gained GCDs that used to be Consumption, and make Dark Infusion definitively superior to Dark Heal on efficiency while leaving it behind Resurgence, Innervate, and Static Barrier). It'd be a good system, hitting precisely the parts of the class that the Devs have stated issue with while leaving the other portions intact, and retain a Sorc's PvP viability while making it a bit more costly for them to clutch heal (as is the intent). It also gives them a very easy nob to turn (if Sorc regen is still too high, adjust Force Surge to 5/10 force on crit. If too low, adjust to 7/14 on crit. Very easy).