The Balancing Act (Classes and Companions)

Dawgtide

I am not wanting a bashing thread here first and foremost. I am not wanting a Update complaints thread either.

I would like to start a constructive thread on balance with Classes and Companions. Now I realize that some have better gear than others, but I am sure everyone has leveled at least one toon up with companions in mostly green and blue gear and maybe an orange or two from commendations.

My thoughts as I have now leveled a Balanced Shadow to 45 and a Bodyguard Bounty Hunter to 50.

My Balanced Shadow is way stronger. I only bring out Thedran if I absolutely have to do it on a boss. I rarely die unless Nadia knocks a mob into another group of mobs (I know I can fix that, but why not have some fun) or get more than one casting elite or higher sith mob. That same shadow has faced no really tough boss fights yet.

Now for the Bodyguard Bounty Hunter. I can heal so you would think it would make my class stronger. No way. Two mobs in particular owned me for a few tries. The mark on Hoth (Green guy with one big eye) and the end guy on the Voss (Caster at the end of the planet Quest chain, Run behind the columns guy). I also have a much tougher time with Droids on the Bounty Hunter.

I guess by my comments that I probably need to level a Kinetic Shadow, because if they are any stronger than Balanced ones, then they are OP. Or is it a BH is UP?

I look forward to seeing if the shadow can handle Ilum in lesser gear because my Bounty Hunter has a tough time.

Did you guys have any classes that appear stronger or weaker than others?

Edited by Dawgtide

Jedi Shadow is definitely easymode to level compared to some others. I had a lot more trouble staying alive on my IA Sniper (which IS completely uncomparable to an Operative who can simply spam heal a tank companion and stealth out when that fails as well).

And yes, I do think the solution to this single-player ballancing would lay with introducing Advanced Class specific companions. So for example for the IA, the Operative could get a true melee or true ranged tank (instead of a half-melee/half-ranged tank like Kaliyo, so something like a captured Gray Jedi Knight could do the trick), while giving the Sniper a tank companion with a medium self heal on a 1-minute cooldown.

Thanks for the reply. I agree about the companions. While, I do think the developers put a lot of thought into the companions, it wouldn't hurt to tweak it occasionally based on play data.

I am also glad to know it is not just me on the Shadow. It seems much easier to me although, I wondered if it is my second time through. My next is a sniper, so I will see how that goes.