something swtor doesn't have but should....player homes

GavinPatterson

Honestly I'd be kinda irritated if they implemented this luxury feature before they got the game working properly. There's so much that needs to be added from better UI's, to Damage meters, to an LFG feature, to better character fluidity, and the list could go on forever. I'm not saying this isn' t a good idea or that people do/don't want it, i'm just saying adding this feature will do very little to your overall long term game play. Personally I think they have bigger priorities
Well said.

Now go get a forum avatar! Your big thoughts shouldn't be lost among the Faceless Masses.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You really, really, have no idea about how game development and running a business works, do you? Once a game goes alive you can't afford to take it down for much longer than a day. Customers and investors alike would be unhappy.

Edit: Actually, have you ever considered that instead of a bad game, TOR simply is not a game for you? For example I'm fairly sure something like Saints Row 3 is a great game, but it's simply not to my tastes, so I don't play it, much less nag to the developers to completely overhaul it into a game I would enjoy.

I am pretty convinced if a mega budget game turns out to be a fiasco you need to do what's necessary to fix it, even if that means taking it down for some time, worst case scenario.

TOR needs to become what players actually want and expect, not what some managers presented in their project pitch. "Hey let's do a simplified WoW...thing...in space...with a Star Wars cinematic skin! We'll all gonna be rich! And let's take down that other SW MMO too, so no one can go back to it as soon as they realize how boring and uninspired our concept is."

**Lucasarts/BW audience applauds here***

Either LucasArts brings SWG back immediately or BW implements every, single, damn, SWG feature and announces to do so ASAP.

Starting with space exploration/combat.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

I am pretty convinced if a mega budget game turns out to be a fiasco you need to do what's necessary to fix it, even if that means taking it down for some time, worst case scenario.

TOR needs to become what players actually want and expect, not what some managers presented in their project pitch. "Hey let's do a simplified WoW...thing...in space...with a Star Wars cinematic skin! We'll all gonna be rich! And let's take down that other SW MMO too, so no one can go back to it as soon as they realize how boring and uninspired our concept is."

Either LucasArts brings SWG back immediately or BW implements every, single, damn, SWG feature and announces to do so ASAP.

Did you forget they shut down SWG? Now why, why do you think they did that?

Why, if it was such a GREAT game?

I neither wanted or expected SWG2 and I am extremely happy that's not what they decided to do. SWG was a travesty. It had none of the feel of Star Wars, but all of the tedium of having a second job.

No thanks.

SWTOR's not a fiasco, though. Player activity levels are stable, more so that it should be based on industry predictions at this point in the game's life span. Right now it boasts enough subscribers that it could survive indefinitely, and accounts are not being cancelled very quickly.

SWTOR's actually doing better than expected at the moment.

Did you forget they shut down SWG? Now why, why do you think they did that?

Why, if it was such a GREAT game?

pretty good argument really. Let´s see if TOR even makes it 8.5 years without going free to play - perhaps it will be shut down when SWG2 gets released in 2020. Wouldn´t be surprised if that happens much earlier.

I neither wanted or expected SWG2 and I am extremely happy that's not what they decided to do. SWG was a travesty. It had none of the feel of Star Wars, but all of the tedium of having a second job.

No thanks.

You are extremely happy that TOR has about a third of the features and planets about 1/10th of the size, no universe and no space flight and an average of 5 real people on planets. Yeah that makes me extremely happy too. LOL. Yeah, voiceovers make for pretty good gameplay, good thing they did not waste money on programmers and graphics artists.

SWTOR's not a fiasco, though. Player activity levels are stable, more so that it should be based on industry predictions at this point in the game's life span. Right now it boasts enough subscribers that it could survive indefinitely, and accounts are not being cancelled very quickly.

SWTOR's actually doing better than expected at the moment.

6 people on Tattooine. 6 people. No recount necessary. So this is an "MMO" ?

pretty good argument really. Let´s see if TOR even makes it 8.5 years without going free to play - perhaps it will be shut down when SWG2 gets released in 2020. Wouldn´t be surprised if that happens much earlier.

You are extremely happy that TOR has about a third of the features and planets about 1/10th of the size, no universe and no space flight and an average of 5 real people on planets. Yeah that makes me extremely happy too. LOL. Yeah, voiceovers make for pretty good gameplay, good thing they did not waste money on programmers and graphics artists.

6 people on Tattooine. 6 people. No recount necessary. So this is an "MMO" ?

the whining is strong with you.

no seriously. i know what you want, and what you expected, are now what you received, but continuing to whine about it isnt doing you much good is it. continuing to call the game a failure, and preaching how its going to fail, when all evidence points to the contrary are also doing you a heap of good arent they.

@op you have a ship. use it for what its intended for. also, no i dont want "the sims" in my swtor thanks.

the whining is strong with you.

no seriously. i know what you want, and what you expected, are now what you received, but continuing to whine about it isnt doing you much good is it. continuing to call the game a failure, and preaching how its going to fail, when all evidence points to the contrary are also doing you a heap of good arent they.

You call valid complaints about core design issues "whining"? I´d call it whining if the only issues would be requests for re-coloring some armor piece or why the world is evil because I can not add scars to my character afterwards, change the color of a lightsaber on/off switch or play a freakin´alien race with a giant head. I don´t complain about such details, I complain about game mechanics, missing core features and missing.. FUN.

The only evidence I see is dropping population numbers, how do you think that is a sign for "not failing" ?

I doubt there will be a Galaxies 2, considering that Lucas pulled the licensing from SOE. If you don't have the okay from Georgie, you can't do ANYTHING with Star Wars.

Seriously, one misplaced dot on the I, he will sue you and win.

I think he may actually have Force abilities himself.

I doubt there will be a Galaxies 2, considering that Lucas pulled the licensing from SOE. If you don't have the okay from Georgie, you can't do ANYTHING with Star Wars.

True... although TOR won´t be the last MMO in history to use the Star Wars IP. Technical capabilities in 10 years will be different from now. In fact, I´d be happy if a SWG2 would become reality in the future.

I just read an article the other day that SOE made a F2p Star Wars mmo based on the kids tv show, that has like 10 million people playing it right now..

I just read an article the other day that SOE made a F2p Star Wars mmo based on the kids tv show, that has like 10 million people playing it right now..

Clone Wars? That doesn't count.

It's based on the prequel trilogy and I do not acknowledge their existence as a valid form of Star Wars canon. Same with Starkiller. I don't care what George says, Episode I-III never happened.

True... although TOR won´t be the last MMO in history to use the Star Wars IP. Technical capabilities in 10 years will be different from now. In fact, I´d be happy if a SWG2 would become reality in the future.
Actually, it might be the last. The industry as a whole is on the decline, and may be due to generational shifts in attitude; upcoming generations place emphasis on aspects of life and media that don't support an MMORPG environment.

Let's face it, we're the internet's old fogies. In a few years we'll all be shaking canes at our computer screens and telling the kids to get off our digital landscape. Darn Web 3.0 brats.

Edited by HeavensAgent

Actually, it might be the last. The industry as a whole is on the decline, and may be due to generational shifts in attitude; upcoming generations place emphasis on aspects of life and media that don't support an MMORPG environment.

Let's face it, we're the internet's old fogies. In a few years we'll all be shaking canes at our computer screens and telling the kids to get off our digital landscape. Darn Web 3.0 brats.

you may be more right than you know. i know that my generation has a very unique perspective being from both before and after the internet. the sheer impact of which is only just being revealed is the most basic of trends.

Greetings everyone!

The thread has gone a bit off-topic from its original suggestion. We would like to remind you that the topic is discussing the possibility of adding player housing. While you may not agree (which all feedback is important), we just ask that you please keep it on this topic.

If you have another topic you wish to discuss, please feel free to take part in another thread that is discussing that topic or create your own in the appropriate sub-forums.

Thank you and we look forward to your discussion! :)

Yes, sorry. Where were we?

Player housing! Yes, good. I want instanced housing. I want to be able to purchase an estate on Alderaan. Interior to decorate. Outdoor garden. Maybe a pen for a nerf or two. And a view; add the painted planetary background around the estate's walls.

It'd be nice to have a landing pad for my ship, as well.

At first I was going to say that player houses are totally unnecessary because you have your own ship which serves the same purpose.

Then I imagined my Smuggler owning his own penthouse on Nar Shadaa.

Player houses would be awesome.

At the very least, how about making our ships more customizable? It's a fitting compromise.