something swtor doesn't have but should....player homes

GavinPatterson

I'm not even sure if you're being serious here.

SWG suffered a slow and painful death. TOR is currently enjoying a position as one of the fastest selling MMOs in the history of the genre. Honestly, people never stopped complaining about SWG until the day they announced they're pulling the plug, then it suddenly became a neat game again.

And honestly, I don't want SWG style housing since I'm not particularly looking forward to bumping into one ghost town after another.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully agree with housing in swtor and it's not diffficult, just add an area to all planets with plots you can buy/earn to build your house, done. Several house styles, paints, designs, fluff and alot of ppl would be entertained for a long time.

It´s hard for me to conceive that swtor was fully ready to go public when we have lack of rp elements, clunky ui, pitiful character creator, lack of stuff to do outside questing, lack of sandbox elements that was said to be ingame in an interview (can´t remember who but is was claimed that swtor was a themepark mmo with sandbox elements).

I would have no problems in waiting another year for this game.

Except, then that would end up changing the way the Worlds were CREATED.

And honestly, I don't want SWG style housing since I'm not particularly looking forward to bumping into one ghost town after another.
Neither do most of us. We want EQ2-style housing. A private space for our characters and friends to enjoy, purely RP in nature, and tucked away in instances that are incorporated into existing geometry.

Neither do most of us. We want EQ2-style housing. A private space for our characters and friends to enjoy, purely RP in nature, and tucked away in instances that are incorporated into existing geometry.

who is "we" ? No, I do not want instancing, in fact this is the most boring and lazy solution for housing.

Luke didn't have a home on Tat once the game... er, movie got going.

I know you dislike your ship. The only one of my ships I really like is the IA one. That is one beautiful vehicle, inside and out.

If they were customizable it would be better. If we could get others into them more easily it would be better. If we could have at least a couple options per class it would be better.

I don't really need a hut on Hutta. In fact, I do not want a hut on Hutta or any other planet. If you must do something to make me feel all "homey", let me pick from among several ship models and let me customize the one I pick, inside and out.

Customizations might include

• Color Scheme
  • Furnishings including artwork and maybe trophies
  • Personal and/or guild symbols
  • Paint the ship droid
  • Re-arrange the ship droid's parts
  • Melt the ship droid

I'm not even sure if you're being serious here.

SWG suffered a slow and painful death. TOR is currently enjoying a position as one of the fastest selling MMOs in the history of the genre. Honestly, people never stopped complaining about SWG until the day they announced they're pulling the plug, then it suddenly became a neat game again.

The problem with swg for me was the bugs and lag so I can imagine why swg died out I play this game with hardly any lag on the same rig. I played a little swg last year and loved seeing what other people accomplished as far as furniture and memorabillia. But like I said earlier it was so buggy even to the moment it shut down . These guys spend alot of money to go to school and learn how to design these games they are capable of making anything you can imagine in a make believe world so stop making excuses. I am aware it takes time but let us know if and when you will try to do these things we request. I would love a stand to put my first light saber in or any trophy I might aquire and maybe a real meditation room that gives a buff or something after meditating.

who is "we" ? No, I do not want instancing, in fact this is the most boring and lazy solution for housing.

I don't see how it is boring or lazy, LotRO did it just fine by making an instanced housing area per racial home region. It allowed all players to get a house as instances were generated as needed, and all this in several instanced neighbourhoods of about 32 houses each.

And that really is the best way to go about it, since, well, otherwise you'd have either a very limited number of people who could get a house due to there being a huge land grab the moment they add housing, or having to make housing areas the size of Tatooine just for people to slap down their mansions on.

All things considered, the LotRO/EQ2 method is more reasonable.

Edited by Bielduwyn

Also, I really really don't want the FUBAR'ed Scenery that was caused by SWG's Housing to happen in this Game. Plus, I really really don't want to crash into Player Houses again as I try and make my way to where I needed to get to.

Well how about getting rid of the god awful exhaustion zones and invisible walls and make everything around the existent quest maps open world? All housing haters who are afraid of "bumping" into anything player created, can simply keep their noses out of these areas and stick to their little questpark rollercoaster maps.

Well how about getting rid of the god awful exhaustion zones and invisible walls and make everything around the existent quest maps open world? All housing haters who are afraid of "bumping" into anything player created, can simply keep their noses out of these areas and stick to their little questpark rollercoaster maps.
They'd have to shut down the game in order to create and install the framework and hardware needed to contain such content. We're talking years, as the game's most basic elements are not designed to support this use.

In a much earlier post on this issue I reccomended the skyscraspper type housing like in coracaunt (spelled it wrong I'm sure). Just have it instanced at the frontdoor as we all know it would take hours to climb that would solve the lack of sandbox realestate the game lacks.

They'd have to shut down the game in order to create and install the framework and hardware needed to contain such content. We're talking years, as the game's most basic elements are not designed to support this use.

It would be the best decision to do that. Take it down and go back to the drawing board. I really would not mind a one year break, if they come up with a decent game concept afterwards. I'll take a break anyway since my gametime card runs out shortly after 1.2 release. I'm bored of this game and constantly run into limitations or unfinished concepts, I will look what's coming up in TOR in the future, but I seriously doubt to find anything that motivates me to game on before 2.0

You really, really, have no idea about how game development and running a business works, do you? Once a game goes alive you can't afford to take it down for much longer than a day. Customers and investors alike would be unhappy.

Edit: Actually, have you ever considered that instead of a bad game, TOR simply is not a game for you? For example I'm fairly sure something like Saints Row 3 is a great game, but it's simply not to my tastes, so I don't play it, much less nag to the developers to completely overhaul it into a game I would enjoy.

Edited by Bielduwyn

I love player housing and it was what really made SWG different from the rest. WOW people keep asking for it and never seem to get it. Now here is how I would like it to work:

If housing was ship it would have to be once space has it's big update so you can choose a ship (if they take it that way, cross fingers for 3D freeroam space) It would be ideal if you could drop any item just like SWG anywere in the house. This would allow the person to have their own custom looking ship inside. When guild fleets get their big ships they could decorate too for meetings and such. Obviously there would need to be a limit on the items in the house and a nice feature would be lighting control to set the mood of your ship (colours/Brightness).

If player housing was to be built into the game (With real housing). I would say take it either;

1. Split all planets into two sectors 1 which we visit now which could be a capital city where everyone goes to do their missions and the other would be for players to walk freely and place housing (this means crafting could be improved with mining and space mining when the update comes). Obviously it would not be as big as SWG but enough for people to have small cities and housing. Maybe a few natives but mainly a lot of sights as the game has some wonderful areas to look around but you can't cos your always being attacked. The housing again would be the same as the ship idea with placing what you like.

2. A couple of planets could have a major apartment building where people can have their own appartment (like PSN HOME) where you can decorate your own space but invite people like you do with the ship. Once the big bugs are out of the game and the fun stuff can begin maybe a chess set or mini games to play with each other (stop guildies mucking about and jumping all over when you are trying to get everyone together and sorted).

I don't know which forum to post in to put all my views in one as every topic needs addressing in different posts. If someone could mail me the link to where I could put a general range of ideas for the future that would be most welcomed. The game has loads of combat and will do for the coming updates until everything is sorted but once that is done it would be nice to see constructive things in the game and thinking ideas for those who don't want to fight all the time but want to be creative or just enjoy being in the SW universe. The trouble is SW is a universe where a lot of people want to live their fantasy but you also have hardcore MMO players who want PVP and combat.

It needs a nice balance and from the way the dev's are talking I feel it will grow to be a better game. People just need to stop having hissy fits because not all the content is in the game yet and will never be fully complete (it's a MMO). If anyone could link me to post all my views I thank you in advance.

above post said luke didn't have a home on tat - thats where he was raised...he called it home several times in the film.

I had in mind the style of lotro - its instance communities where you buy a house - there are racial homes in each area....and there's only 30ish homes per instance. purely for RP purpose. And all honesty, I'd be over joyed if they said this was coming...just coming period.

Instanced housing would essentially be the apartment idea, just without the need for full complexes. All they'd have to do is turn a few of the sealed doors scattered throughout the game into instance entrances. That single entrance can lead to an instance for every player that wanted that particular house, similar to how we enter a private instance when we enter our class hangar at a spaceport.

Additionally, they could offer cabins on a cruiser or yacht; pleasure and luxury vessels are commonplace in this game, and it would offer space for unique housing option without altering the planets too extensively. Heck, they could give us a few housing instances to choose from on an Ithorian Herd Ship

As much fun as housing was/is in SWG and EQ2.. There are more important things that need addressed and added to the game before housing.. No offense!! However, it's a little late now to do anything.. As much as I love SWTOR and their storyline questing, this game has a short lifespan to me.. Why do you ask? Simple.. The theme park ride of leveling toons is too painful.. When I first started playing I had planned to create and experience 8 toons for 8 stoylines.... However, that has changed now.. The knowing that I have to regrind "general" non-class quest is a game breaker.. I might be able to force myself to repeat the same steps a 2nd time, but doing it a 3rd or 4th is just too painful..

I'm already finding excuses to NOT sign on, because I don't want to re-ride the same theme park quest train.. So.. how does this effect housing.. I'd rather see time spent on giving us alternative paths of character progression instead of housing..

As much fun as housing was/is in SWG and EQ2.. There are more important things that need addressed and added to the game before housing.. No offense!!
No offense taken; I agree completely. If they get things taken care of first and then start work on this they could have it done by year's end, but they NEED to focus on the game's current content first.

It's amazing how some people think they speak for the majority. I like my ship. I don't care about housing or raiding and I have little interest in PVP. Being focused on hardcore end game stuff to the exclusion of anything else has put me off several MMOs in the past, and I doubt it would keep me around here either.

Sooo you don't like raiding... Or pvp...... What do you do? Stand around and twiddle your thumbs?

It's amazing how many people could be appeased with housing, yet they fail to give it to us. Something so simple could boost subscriptions and keep players around.

Like I have posted in the past players want and need more than pvp and raiding.

I srsly doubt housing is the answer people are looking for - even the ones who really want it. I mean... would it be fun to have a house that you could build and then put stuff in etc? Sure. Would be just as good to be able to customize your ship though. But then what? Housing is a credit sink, you just purchase stuff, there is no real appeal to it after you're finished. I mean, you have a house then, great, now what? You literally do nothing with it atfer you spend some time farming creds to do something for it. It's not real content, it's like farming pets or mounts and while it may sound awesome it really isn't considering how quickly you'd be done with it and the lack of purpose the house provides afterwards in comparison to the time and people it would take to implement it.

No need for housing, sounds cool but really isn't in the long run - they could make it possible to buy different kinds of spaceships though and let you customize the interior, place your companions here and there etc (you know, new paint, some lights.. decorating). That would take way less effort then an all new housing system that would have to be instanced anyway and bascially serve the same purpose.

Honestly I'd be kinda irritated if they implemented this luxury feature before they got the game working properly. There's so much that needs to be added from better UI's, to Damage meters, to an LFG feature, to better character fluidity, and the list could go on forever. I'm not saying this isn' t a good idea or that people do/don't want it, i'm just saying adding this feature will do very little to your overall long term game play. Personally I think they have bigger priorities