something swtor doesn't have but should....player homes

GavinPatterson

i want to see customization player homes - and i want them to be spread out on different worlds. either buy, or complete quests to get or both. I want to be able to view my codex's there - and I want to be able to play around there as well - guild meetings, crafting, banking etc etc....ships are not enough - there not unique and personally i hate my ship. i think this would add some RP into the game.

i'd love to have a room in a jedi temple, or sith :p

a place on taris, safe from the wildlife....

like luke, a home on tat

i'd love to have these options...make it happen

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The memories of player housing in SWG are fond ones for those who played the game, and though the open-world style that they remember won't really work in SWTOR something is going to have to fulfill that desire.

You're correct when you say ships simply aren't enough; I imagine we'll see instanced player housing, similar to what's utilized in EQ2, some time after the game reaches maturity. Before that, though, the developers need to focus on getting their duck in a row.

In order to achieve what is suggested in the thread and to look at the possibilities, we need to consider how one would customize their home? I like many others played SWG and as such we did have the ability to customize our homes and ships just as implied below:

I think your ship is the best compromise for player housing.

Now what would you do to customize a home in this game? Leave Artifacts or Scavenged materials around? Have the ability to place a weapon (e.g. viberblade or gun) on the wall? Everything needs to be weighed and measured for this to be achieved or considered in my belief.

It's amazing how many people could be appeased with housing, yet they fail to give it to us. Something so simple could boost subscriptions and keep players around.

Like I have posted in the past players want and need more than pvp and raiding.

It's amazing how many people could be appeased with housing, yet they fail to give it to us. Something so simple could boost subscriptions and keep players around.

It's not that easy to add to the game; it's going to take time and resources that they really have to devote to other aspects of the game at the moment.

It's amazing how some people think they speak for the majority. I like my ship. I don't care about housing or raiding and I have little interest in PVP. Being focused on hardcore end game stuff to the exclusion of anything else has put me off several MMOs in the past, and I doubt it would keep me around here either.

I think your ship is the best compromise for player housing.

Agree...

I dont see any reason why ships can not become more custom designs in the future, SWG players housing had some excellent points, but also some bad...

Clever players and good guild's built nice cities but there was the option to basically dump your house down just about anywhere, and in some places it made the landscape look awful..

Decoration and the ability to actually personalize your ship is something I would love to see, the basics are there, we just need the tools and options to do it. SWTOR desperately needs some sandbox style elements, and ships and social RP classes like Entertainer would be a good start.

i want to see customization player homes - and i want them to be spread out on different worlds. either buy, or complete quests to get or both. I want to be able to view my codex's there - and I want to be able to play around there as well - guild meetings, crafting, banking etc etc....ships are not enough - there not unique and personally i hate my ship. i think this would add some RP into the game.

i'd love to have a room in a jedi temple, or sith :p

a place on taris, safe from the wildlife....

like luke, a home on tat

i'd love to have these options...make it happen

/signed

I hope enough people vote so BW can not ignore the already obvious results.

Agree...

I dont see any reason why ships can not become more custom designs in the future, SWG players housing had some excellent points, but also some bad...

Clever players and good guild's built nice cities but there was the option to basically dump your house down just about anywhere, and in some places it made the landscape look awful..

Decoration and the ability to actually personalize your ship is something I would love to see, the basics are there, we just need the tools and options to do it. SWTOR desperately needs some sandbox style elements, and ships and social RP classes like Entertainer would be a good start.

This isn't SWG the RP classes have no place on a game like this.

Also, I really really don't want the FUBAR'ed Scenery that was caused by SWG's Housing to happen in this Game. Plus, I really really don't want to crash into Player Houses again as I try and make my way to where I needed to get to.

I've always been more fond of the idea that my ship in Star Wars is my home rather than a terrestrial place. My mobile HQ. My Winnebago with wings. I'm hoping the upcoming ship customization features give us something to make our ships a little more home-esque.

I've always been more fond of the idea that my ship in Star Wars is my home rather than a terrestrial place. My mobile HQ. My Winnebago with wings. I'm hoping the upcoming ship customization features give us something to make our ships a little more home-esque.

Agreed

I will be general about this because of spoilers for those that didn't complete their class quests. So here goes...When you are done with a given class quest you are meant to be this very important person with alot of power and status. But after the cutscene is over, you are back to where you started before it. It's like all that was like a dream.

This is where maybe player housing go in effect. Or a penthouse, office for your position in the government, etc. Make that new darth title or whatever mean something, instead of what is it now.

I would be happy if I could at least decorate my ship the way I want. Player houses would be awesome too.

Ship customisation is going to be added eventually, they've been saying this for quite some time now. So eventually you'll be able to redecorate your ship as you please. But clearly there's more important things to add to the game first.

And some of you people really need to accept that this game is not SWG, this game is not a sandbox MMO, there are perfectly valid alternatives if you want a sandbox MMO. But you shouldn't ask Bioware to completely change the very nature of the game for something so vain as player housing. Not to mention remodel entire planets to make room for housing, code up all sorts of mechanics and features to make housing work, it'd be a lot of effort for something that we already have in the shape of our ship.

I might see housing eventually in the form of entering some instanced apartment block on Coruscant, where you just right click a door that's currently just an idle texture on the planet and that that teleports you to your apartment "floor" where you can then walk up to another door that teleports you to your apartment. But honestly, stop wishing for this game to be SWG. If you wanted that game to still be around you should've kept your subscription running throughout the game's life.

I fully agree with housing in swtor and it's not diffficult, just add an area to all planets with plots you can buy/earn to build your house, done. Several house styles, paints, designs, fluff and alot of ppl would be entertained for a long time.

It´s hard for me to conceive that swtor was fully ready to go public when we have lack of rp elements, clunky ui, pitiful character creator, lack of stuff to do outside questing, lack of sandbox elements that was said to be ingame in an interview (can´t remember who but is was claimed that swtor was a themepark mmo with sandbox elements).

I would have no problems in waiting another year for this game.

Honestly, if I was in the SWTOR universe and I had a ship like the one we have in game, I would never settle on any 'planet'; the ships are bigger than many houses, and if I want to hang out on a planet, I can just land there and hang out!

I'd rather have the option to expand/upgrade/buy a new ship than player housing.

Also, I really really don't want the FUBAR'ed Scenery that was caused by SWG's Housing to happen in this Game. Plus, I really really don't want to crash into Player Houses again as I try and make my way to where I needed to get to.
Most of us are talking about instanced housing, not open world. Edited by HeavensAgent

I fully agree with housing in swtor and it's not diffficult, just add an area to all planets with plots you can buy/earn to build your house, done. Several house styles, paints, designs, fluff and alot of ppl would be entertained for a long time.
No, the game isn't built around open-world player developments. It can't adequately support them. Player houses would need to be instanced. Think EQ2, not SWG. Edited by HeavensAgent

So eventually you'll be able to redecorate your ship as you please. But clearly there's more important things to add to the game first.

like what? Off rails space combat, ok, but there are different teams working on different features, so they better get the housing features implemented soon so it's ready for Expansion 1.

And some of you people really need to accept that this game is not SWG, this game is not a sandbox MMO, there are perfectly valid alternatives if you want a sandbox MMO. But you shouldn't ask Bioware to completely change the very nature of the game for something so vain as player housing. Not to mention remodel entire planets to make room for housing, code up all sorts of mechanics and features to make housing work, it'd be a lot of effort for something that we already have in the shape of our ship.

The biggest fail of this MMO is that it's not Star Wars Galaxies 2.

Remodel planets? You bet. All the instancing is just another blatant result of lazy design, a lot of money sent down the drain and technical incompetence.

Enjoying the green doors where other class clones run through and vanish? Hey cool, how immersive!

I might see housing eventually in the form of entering some instanced apartment block on Coruscant, where you just right click a door that's currently just an idle texture on the planet and that that teleports you to your apartment "floor" where you can then walk up to another door that teleports you to your apartment. But honestly, stop wishing for this game to be SWG. If you wanted that game to still be around you should've kept your subscription running throughout the game's life.

Yay, even more green doors and less work to do for Bioware to make this game world a little more believable. By the way, teleporting, this whole "Scotty beam me up technology" is completely ridiculous in a Star Wars setting, but hey it's cheap to do it that way. We all know TOR is a small indie game with a tiny budget of 200.000.000$, you can't expect much for a small budget like this, isn't it?

BTW, I have another great idea to make the planets feel bigger, slow down the speeders to 50% so it takes forever to get from A to B. Ideas to save EA some money.