Should there even be pvp gear?

Metajedi

Expertise...good old expertise, the deciding factor for most fights.

I believe I read somewhere before the game launched that gear would only account for 10 % of a player vs player fight thus a more skilled player could beat an opponent with superior gear.

But from what ive seen and what i've heard thats just not the case.

It seems to me that pvp gear actually serves really no purpose in the long run.

Pre 50 there is no pvp gear...everyone is bolstered to account for stat differences.

And in someways I find this to be a truer representation of PVP.

PVP should be player vs Player not Player vs Gear and thats how I feel it is.

So what purpose does it serve?

Even if you lose every single match you will eventually have the gear that the winners have so in that sense all pvp gear does is serve as a Gap

a gap between either people who have lost enough to win

or people who have won enough to win some more

I suppose the point of pvp gear is the prestige? But what prestige is there in something that everyone gets ?

Once a player who is bad, or doesnt have a premade or just likes to go solo and wins/loses half the time pvp's enough eventually he will get the same gear as the " pros"

and then they will be on equal ground.

So my suggestion?

Remove pvp stats entirely!

Have a bolster buff at 50 to equate for gear differences between new and geared 50's

and the rewards for pvp should be EXCLUSIVE and prestigious.

New armor models, mounts, titles, pets, w/e you wanna do you can add a million exclusive rewards for players who dedicate there time to pvp. But on the battlefield it should be the better player and the better team not the most geared players.

anyway thats just my suggestion

TLDR

even baddies can get the same gear as the best so BM gear is currently worthless and all winning does it get it to you faster.

Remove pvp stats from the game and add a bolster buff to all pvp to equalize players and then skill and organization should reign.

Add exlusive items, armors, titles to the highest ranked pvpers as a way to show their commitment.

let the flames begin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wholeheartedly agree . PvP gear is and always has been a bad idea. Well, stuff that gives you an unfair advantage. And I say this as someone with battlemaster gear.

When I started out in PvP I was getting thrashed. Now 2/3 games I top the scoreboard/dmg amounts. The only difference was gear. That is just bad.

Pre 50 there is no pvp gear...everyone is bolstered to account for stat differences.
You can purchase weapons with +expertise enhancements from the PVP Weapons Vendor, starting around level 36. You can remove the enhancements and put them in your armor if you want.

I'd be happy if there was just a set given to you at 50 and everyone used it for PvP.

I don't want anyone to think I beat them just because I have better gear then they do.

I'd be happy if there was just a set given to you at 50 and everyone used it for PvE.

I wouldn't want anybody to think I beat PvE content they couldn't because i have better gear than they do.

I wholeheartedly agree . PvP gear is and always has been a bad idea. Well, stuff that gives you an unfair advantage. And I say this as someone with battlemaster gear.

When I started out in PvP I was getting thrashed. Now 2/3 games I top the scoreboard/dmg amounts. The only difference was gear. That is just bad.

ive never had a problem with end game pvp gear or to be specfic earning said gear it comes with the genra.

but why in a mmo where can can lituraly have the same armor from lvl 10 to lvl 50 isnt the bonus stats on the mods and not the gear itself.

u still have to earn the tokens for the items but haveing them on the mods would mean not every sith assasin would look the same and every sith jugg would be a clone.

i have enougth tokens for the champion gear for my sniper but i hate the look of them id would much rather keep my current gear and simply buy the mods for the same price and simply insert them into my gear for the stats.

i know this is a personal issue and i dont have to play pvp or wear the armor all the time but i think it would make a huge difference.

If you are talking about just making one set of armor thats good in pve and pvp I'm for that.

Be nice to just gear up by pvping then go do end game pve.This would make the only reason to pve be to get armors you like(look wise) tho.Not sure many pvers would like this ppl like the carrot.

There are two ways of looking at this:

1. Personally I've always prefered games, for instance shooters, where everyone has access to the same arsenal. It's the only way of allowing skill to be the deciding factor.

2. I never thought of the "gear grind" as the big deal a lot of people are trying to make it into. The grind probably made me a better player and added incentive to keep playing even when that 10th Huttball game in a row was getting the best of me.

That said and since I, even with only 12K HP and no expertise, felt like I was contributing I'd vote for keeping PvP gear.

There is however a third alternative that I personally think would be superior to both having no gear progression in PvP alt. having PvP specific gear progression and that is to allow PvP to unlock PvE viable gear. This would allow us who mainly PvP to join HM'es and Ops without being poorly geared.

On another note, while the attributes are bolstered in the 1-49 bracket it's by no means "skill will always prevail"-bracket. People seem to forget that 49's, with their full ability spectrum, constantly are facing lvl 11's with only 3 abilities. A reasonable guess is that a lot of 49's complain when they enter the 50'bracket because of this, they're simply not familiar with playing warzones where everyone has an equally big aresenal. Personally I'd say that I felt less useful as a low level facing 49's than I did is a freshy in the 50 bracket.

Edited by MidichIorian

actually I dont understand why raid gear or raid guilds would dominate pvp. as I said in my first post there should be a buff that essentially brings all players to the same point. this way gear would not matter for pvp.

The intention hear is to remove the concept of out gearing your enemy.

Now giving everyone the same pvp armor at 50 would have an identical effect except that everyone would look the same.

We can still have the carrot on a stick just different forms...we can still have exclusive pvp armor but it should just be an orange shell that you can mod however you like. And in this way if all the stats are equal anyway then there is no reason for bioware to reward players who don't out play their competition..

If all stats are equal then sure why not have exclusive armor graphics? Why not have exclusive titles, and things like that.

when pvp gear has stats and set bonus's and all that you throw exclusivity out the window because you cant just have a group of superior players who essentially " got their first " and dominate pvp until they decide to quit, so bioware gives it up to everyone.

The idea is to bring the prestige of a successful pvp career back to the game

while ridding ourselves of this proverbial Gear speed bump which is all pvp armor serves to do currently.

there should be many tiers of pvp gear, at all levels.

people should be rewarded for time invested but also quality of time invested.

this whole skill v skill thing goes against the nature of the game really. it sounds good on paper but rarely works in practise.

it should take you along time to earn the best gear of any kind and some recent 50 should not be able to roll up and instantly be on par with the character worked on for many more days/months etc.

ppl these days are just work shy and equate anyone in better gear to basement dwellers, which is pretty stupid imo.

Expertise...good old expertise, the deciding factor for most fights.

I believe I read somewhere before the game launched that gear would only account for 10 % of a player vs player fight thus a more skilled player could beat an opponent with superior gear.

But from what ive seen and what i've heard thats just not the case.

It seems to me that pvp gear actually serves really no purpose in the long run.

And in someways I find this to be a truer representation of PVP.

PVP should be player vs Player not Player vs Gear and thats how I feel it is.

So what purpose does it serve?

Even if you lose every single match you will eventually have the gear that the winners have so in that sense all pvp gear does is serve as a Gap

a gap between either people who have lost enough to win

or people who have won enough to win some more

I suppose the point of pvp gear is the prestige? But what prestige is there in something that everyone gets ?

Once a player who is bad, or doesnt have a premade or just likes to go solo and wins/loses half the time pvp's enough eventually he will get the same gear as the " pros"

and then they will be on equal ground.

So my suggestion?

Remove pvp stats entirely!

Have a bolster buff at 50 to equate for gear differences between new and geared 50's

and the rewards for pvp should be EXCLUSIVE and prestigious.

New armor models, mounts, titles, pets, w/e you wanna do you can add a million exclusive rewards for players who dedicate there time to pvp. But on the battlefield it should be the better player and the better team not the most geared players.

anyway thats just my suggestion

TLDR

even baddies can get the same gear as the best so BM gear is currently worthless and all winning does it get it to you faster.

Remove pvp stats from the game and add a bolster buff to all pvp to equalize players and then skill and organization should reign.

Add exlusive items, armors, titles to the highest ranked pvpers as a way to show their commitment.

let the flames begin

pvp gear no problem, pvp stat = problem

I'd be happy if there was just a set given to you at 50 and everyone used it for PvE.

I wouldn't want anybody to think I beat PvE content they couldn't because i have better gear than they do.

However PvE is rarely decided by skill. I mean, I think we can all agree PvE is easy as compared to PvP.

I understand the reasons they aren't gonna change it :p and it would cause issues having a standard PvP gear set but having multiple tiers of PvE gear.

Still.. I just want it to be less about gear. For PvE as well I guess but I rarely do that crap.

there should be many tiers of pvp gear, at all levels.

people should be rewarded for time invested but also quality of time invested.

this whole skill v skill thing goes against the nature of the game really. it sounds good on paper but rarely works in practise.

it should take you along time to earn the best gear of any kind and some recent 50 should not be able to roll up and instantly be on par with the character worked on for many more days/months etc.

ppl these days are just work shy and equate anyone in better gear to basement dwellers, which is pretty stupid imo.

I agree people should invest long amounts of time in pvp and they still can it just wont effect the outcome of the battles. If your some new 50 coming into pvp against a veteran who has some sort of vet title and vet armor then you know your up for a tough fight.

How is it currently?

You go in your a fresh pvp and you get destroyed until bioware deems you've earned enough losses so that you can have a decent shot ?

that is a seriously flawed system

Structured PvP should not be gear dependent. If everyone have the same gear then skill (and FOTM classes:p) will determine who is the winner.

PvE gear could simply be unuseable within WZs and then the top end raiding guilds would have no advantage over the rest.