Fleet PvP

WBTronix

I've seen a lot of suggestions on a new PvP approach for the game since Ilum was canned. And a lot of them are great. So far though I haven't seen much in the form of Fleet PvP. A seperate war designated specifically for PvP.

In many of the mediums that entertain us with Star Wars stories, the battles that happen in space are more of an after thought as the focus is directed towards a protagonist. Too me, since everyone is a protagonist in TOR, it would make sense that the focus be directed toward the complete aspect of a battle in space and have the ultimate goal in the background.

I feel this is a reasonable progession after Ilum failed to accomplish what it was supposed to. I understand that no new PvP integration is an "Easy" implimentation into a game. However, I think creating a war around large Ships would be a more realistic goal for PvP in the absense of Ilum. Mostly due to the inside of Ships not needing a lot of extra detail. The rooms are usually monotonous, but it still works as a believable ship. And there are lots of these rooms already created for the game. Also, since the war could potentially be anywhere, the story of TOR could integrate well with something that's in the outer rim for example. And lastly it has the potential to put space mission upgrades to good use.

I think Bioware could make a complex PvP game that requires both team work and individual effort. The following is just brainstorming and is an incomplete suggestion. Not nearly as indepth as others have done. So I'm hiding it for those that are not interested in reading more of my personal ideas since it is lengthy.

I envision this Battle of the Fleets to be a little like the board game "War". Both factions start with an equal amount of ships. The goal being to coordinate and attack on a specfic ship to conquer it. In this case the ship would be destroyed. The challenge is balancing offense with defense as the other faction will also be trying to destroy your factions ships. Perhaps the ultimate goal being that the area of Space is a critical position to both factions should a full out War break loose.

Within a factions fleet a player can manuever from ship to ship via taxi. This will be vital to the defensive aspect of the game.

There would be two types of reinforcements. One is accomplished in the same faction fleet. If your team were to lose a ship in the fleet, your faction has the ability to call in a reinforcement. This would take time however. The idea is that the attacking faction would have to try and prevent the reinforcment from occuring and therefore would be unable to always go for the ship with less people in it. This, in theory, would help focus the battle. If your team is successful at calling the reinforcement a new ship arrives and can potentially drive back the attacking team.

The second type of reinforcement are NPC fighter ships and turrets. These ships and turrets are on a respawn timer. They help prevent the attacking team access to board any your factions ship. An attacking team will have to clear these fighter ships in order to successfully board the opposing ship. A solo player can greatly help the attacking team by keeping the area clear but a team effort would clear the area faster. Its imparitive that someone keep the space clear as those who die during the attack will not be able to quickly join the fray again until the space is clear.

While the supporting fighter ships would not be particularly hard to defeat with an organized group it would be a gameplay mechanic meant for a couple things:

1.) It gives meaning to the space mission already in the game. It allows those that enjoy that part of the game something to look forward to as their upgrades on their personal ships would integrate into this. And they would have a substantially easier time defeating fighter ships.

2.) The faction on defense would get a warning such as "3 imperial fighters seen attacking near Fleet ship Bravo". Which means that soon there could be an attacking team entering that ship. So it allows for a defensive position before the attacking team arrives.

The Fleets are positioned in a way that an attacking team would need to take out one of the front line ships in order to access ships that are adjacent to it. Every ship that is closer to the "Mother ship" gets progessively more difficult to destroy. Maybe with dynamic NPC's which would appear or disapear depending on the amount of players joined. Some way to counteract an imbalance on a server during particular parts of the day allowing a faction with less people to still contribute to the war in both defense and offense.

I haven't thought of too much in the way of Offense. I think there could be bonuses for destroying ships. I feel that since this is a very defensively focused game, accomplishing something offensively should be very rewarding. Maybe visually (Broken ship burning to a planet) and also physically with rewards.

Thanks for reading! :) I know not all my ideas will work and some may just be outright bad. If you have ideas that would work with a PvP Fleet battle approach, if you have anything to say about my ideas or if any of my ideas have sparked your own, please post!

Thay're working on guild capital ships, so it would make sense to have some kind of ship verses ship combat so that there is some use for them, otherwise, why have them at all. I'd like to see some kind of multi-server large scale space war (3+ servers) all fighting over an area. Maybe make 3-4 different areas and have a different one every day.

They could implement several different kinds of ships like the capital ships for large guilds, fighters for anyone, and obviously the class ships. Maybe have 2 space station sized ships for each side; 1 for each faction.

I could see a 6 way epic battle between 3 different servers over maybe 3 main objectives and 10-20 smaller objectives. The objectives could give points towards more ships or small upgrades to damage or shields.

Thay're working on guild capital ships, so it would make sense to have some kind of ship verses ship combat so that there is some use for them, otherwise, why have them at all. I'd like to see some kind of multi-server large scale space war (3+ servers) all fighting over an area. Maybe make 3-4 different areas and have a different one every day.

They could implement several different kinds of ships like the capital ships for large guilds, fighters for anyone, and obviously the class ships. Maybe have 2 space station sized ships for each side; 1 for each faction.

I could see a 6 way epic battle between 3 different servers over maybe 3 main objectives and 10-20 smaller objectives. The objectives could give points towards more ships or small upgrades to damage or shields.

Thanks for the reply :D

Multiple servers would be a huge undertaking. Nevertheless I like your idea of including capital ships in some fashion. I think that would be a really cool addition to capital ships besides being a guild hub. And obviously I wish we had some sort of space flight to physically fly around and dock at different capital ships and the like.