SOA Tanking

IKoNNiK

There are some things to know about SOA that make him much easier to tank. First is that the only mitigation that works on SOA is Armor. Armor reduces the damage he does from his main attack against the tank during phase 1 and 2. He will also do that attack in phase 3 but it is very rare and I can't actually figure out why he seems to randomly do it. This attack hurts someone with medium and especially light armor. Make your target armor at least 6800 for Nightmare. With over 6800 armor you will end up getting hit twice every time he casts his main attack for less than 3k each.

When I tank I am in full DPS gear. SOA bypasses the shield with his main attack. I have never seen my Shield Generator go off during this fight. Assassin tanks have Dark Ward that increases shield proc chance by 15/20% and has 8 stacks. I watched it for an entire fight and I never saw it drop under 8 stacks. I can't honestly say if the lightning balls can proc the shield, but as an Assassin I have access to Force Shroud that resists all that damage including the boss damage as well.

Tanking SOA in full DPS gear helps all round since you increase your DPS and threat generation. The faster you get through phase 2 the better your chances of downing him.

Soa's damage is Elemental/Internal damage, which cannot be dodge/blocked/parried.

As a Guardian, my shield and my Riposte ability never proc on this fight. It shouldn't be a big deal, as his damage to the tank is a pretty minor part of the fight, but it is annoying.

Soa's damage is Elemental/Internal damage, which cannot be dodge/blocked/parried.

As a Guardian, my shield and my Riposte ability never proc on this fight. It shouldn't be a big deal, as his damage to the tank is a pretty minor part of the fight, but it is annoying.

But your absorb from Scream works. Does it not?

Its still quite useful for keeping the stress levels down on your healers and smooths out damage over the course of a fight. If it were a higher amount the cooldown would have be higher and Jugs already have spiky mitigation.