Bioware, be careful about stat inflation

cashogy

With 1.2, we are seeing a new tier of gear added to the game. This is nice, as it adds more things to do/strive to get once we hit 50, but Bioware needs to be careful.

With every new set of gear, the standard in MMOs is to increase the stats on the new items to make them more appealing. Over time, the BiS gear for PvP becomes outrageously more powerful than lower tiers of gear, putting new or casual players at an enormous disadvantage.

While I believe that players should get more out of the game if they put more time into it, I do think that the gear disparity between fresh 50s and fully geared 50s needs to be kept as close as possible. If not, once players hit 50 many of them will not enjoy the experience and will stop PvPing.

Bioware needs to be careful about stat inflation. Many MMOs encounter this problem, and once it occurs it is very hard to recover from it.

I hope that in future updates, Bioware focuses more on releasing interesting armor designs, titles, mounts, customization features, etc, rather than releasing new tiers of gear that get progressively better.

With 1.2, we are seeing a new tier of gear added to the game. This is nice, as it adds more things to do/strive to get once we hit 50, but Bioware needs to be careful.

With every new set of gear, the standard in MMOs is to increase the stats on the new items to make them more appealing. Over time, the BiS gear for PvP becomes outrageously more powerful than lower tiers of gear, putting new or casual players at an enormous disadvantage.

While I believe that players should get more out of the game if they put more time into it, I do think that the gear disparity between fresh 50s and fully geared 50s needs to be kept as close as possible. If not, once players hit 50 many of them will not enjoy the experience and will stop PvPing.

Bioware needs to be careful about stat inflation. Many MMOs encounter this problem, and once it occurs it is very hard to recover from it.

I hope that in future updates, Bioware focuses more on releasing interesting armor designs, titles, mounts, customization features, etc, rather than releasing new tiers of gear that get progressively better.

This is more of a pvp gear reboot. Tier1 purchaseable instead of ground (helping newcomers and alts) battlemaster much faster to obtain (becoming the effective tier 2) , and the new tier being to BM what BM is to champ now. Progression didn't become 4 tiers deep but rather redesigned in a way to get you into tier 2 and pvp effective rather quickly

OK, say they do this. Then how do they keep pve gear from becoming to strong in pvp when they boost new tiers of pve gear? Ohh, i get it, make the new pve gear suck also.

Gear gets bumped up bro. The lowest now (centurion/tionese) gets deleted, and the 2nd best in the current becomes the default (the new blue pvp armor)/columni. You shouldn't be handed the best gear when you first ding 50, you get entry level gear that allows you to be competitive and work your way up to awesome epics.

This would only be a problem if entry level gear stayed the same, and you had to work your way through each set. But you don't, so inflating the stats isn't as big of a deal as you make it. Being able to purchase gear when you hit level 50 that is somewhat competitive to other geared 50s is going to stop decent players from having to gear alts, but the whiners will still whine.

Stat inflation is always going to be a problem at some point. But it's currently too early to complain about it.

-Something to consider though is that due to the nature of Expertise, the side=effects of stat inflation should be minimal in PvP.

-As long as they have accessible tiers of gear, things shouldn't be too bad (Centurion gear e.g.).

-They have to keep the rate of item-level inflation in-line. The bump from level Tionese to Columi is rather large for example and could be smaller.

its not just gear the Overpowerd and broken class's/abilitys become super magnified and super OP also because of it.

thing like railshot lightning spam smash tracer missiles is already doing stupid amounts of damagejust from champion geared players.

This is more of a pvp gear reboot. Tier1 purchaseable instead of ground (helping newcomers and alts) battlemaster much faster to obtain (becoming the effective tier 2) , and the new tier being to BM what BM is to champ now. Progression didn't become 4 tiers deep but rather redesigned in a way to get you into tier 2 and pvp effective rather quickly

Gear does not equate to skill. The whiners who fail at PVP now will still fail at PVP post patch in their Champion gear ;)

I PVP'd from level 10 upwards, and hit level 50 at Valour 49.99. I was effective in my Ornage modded gear as I knew the Battlegrounds, and I already knew how to use my skills in PVP (which is inherently different to PVE levelling up).

...no matter though, I am just as happy face rolling whiners who don't know how to play in Orange modded, Centurion, Champion or Battlemaster gear. :shrug: