How much aim is enough?

ahnog

aim never ceases to be useful. Anything over 100% lowers the targets defenses.

Accuracy lowers target defenses when over 100%, if I'm not mistaken. Aim, as a primary stat, affects damage and healing output. There might be a diminishing ROI (I haven't checked), but no hard cap that I'm aware of.

main stats like aim never become bad. tonight i picked up the final piece of my endgame gear puzzle and at first wasnt sure i should actually swap it in, as i was only gaining main stat at a pretty hefty loss to power and something else. tried it on and there were considerable gains on every part of my attack stats, with a piece that really didn't do that much and at a point where if diminishing returns were gonna start to matter they would have happened.

kudos to bw for the main stat system, it really does make things nice and simple.

If Aim is always to be stacked, then why in talent pick up I have never seen anybody put 3 points into 2 Tier Shield spec, that gives 9% aim?

It should increase all damage for all abilities. But I see everybody advise to take 6% crit or 60% armor reduction for Bolt.

Can anyone explain?

Your talking about vanguards they have the +9% aim in tier 2 of shield to get there you have to sacrifice points in other skills that are more beneficial. Commandos have the +9% in tier 1 of gunnary and its a must take skill. And we are talking about gear not skill trees.

Aim for troppers grants bonus ranged/tech damage and bonus healing. Bonus damage per point of aim is 0.2 or 0.22 cant remember out of head. Bonus damage of power is 0.24 per point. Bonus damage has no deminishing returns.

Aim for troppers allso grants ranged/tech crit chance. Crit chance has deminishing returns and at 1900 aim adds wery litle crit.

There is allso the councler buff that grants 5% extra aim and at 1900 aim would be 95 extra aim that converts into 20 more bonus damage.

Where the jedi knight buff adds 5% to your bonnus damage so if you have 400 power will give you 96 bonus damage and an extra 4.7 bonus damage from the knight buff.

Now problem with power is its exlusive with crit on mods / gear (REed crafted gear is diferent) so if you go for power over crit to much you will lower you dps. Since ctris hit for 50-70% more depanding on your surge rating.

Edited by FoxyWar

To FoxyWar - I am playing Vangaurd Assault, you are right. Now I am level 24, so cannot test actual benefits of skills.

I play WOW also and there main stat is 2 times better, than any other stat, so if you can get 10% Strength, you surely do that, because it will raise all your damage significantly. Thats why I ask.

After filling Assault tree as advised (no contradiction in it, to my mind) I start looking for other trees.

Every other talents I see give max 3%-6% buff for some abilities damage. But as damage is based on Aim, then 9% Aim should give you more damage on ALL abilities, right? Maybe High Impact Bolt will hit harder with 60% armor debuff, than with 9% Aim. But all other abilities will also be better, so in the end you will get more dps. Or I really dont get it?

Can you clarify or advise some other source, where actual calculations are made?

Edited by Demazzz

Well im commando, i do have a lvl50 vanguard as well but dont play it much. but as far as i know the higest PvE damage build 8/6/27 you dont get assoult plastics for more aim. I only play my vanguard for fun sometimes in pvp where i like assoult plastics for some more ranged attacks.

To FoxyWar - I am playing Vangaurd Assault, you are right. Now I am level 24, so cannot test actual benefits of skills.

I play WOW also and there main stat is 2 times better, than any other stat, so if you can get 10% Strength, you surely do that, because it will raise all your damage significantly. Thats why I ask.

After filling Assault tree as advised (no contradiction in it, to my mind) I start looking for other trees.

Every other talents I see give max 3%-6% buff for some abilities damage. But as damage is based on Aim, then 9% Aim should give you more damage on ALL abilities, right? Maybe High Impact Bolt will hit harder with 60% armor debuff, than with 9% Aim. But all other abilities will also be better, so in the end you will get more dps. Or I really dont get it?

Can you clarify or advise some other source, where actual calculations are made?

With the assault tree, High Impact Bolt is used a lot. The skills in the tree make it so you can use it more often and in most rotations it is used as much as possible. So a large portion of your dps comes from that one skill.

First of all IF you play Vanguard read Thorgrim guide for Vanguards.

Then you will realize, that for leveling - tank build is the best one, while at 50 pvp you should jump from tank to tactics 8/31/2 or assault (the first one is much better because of the utility cooldown reduction and thus survivability + mobility).

Vanguard relies on elemental attacks which CAN'T be reduced by armour, dodged. This 6% elemental damage boost + 5% elemental boost from High energy cell stance + another 3% elemental damage + elemental Crit chance from tactics + 15% move speed + elemental instant cast damage skills spam can finish of even hardest tank.

The downside is u need to kite, all day long (keep enemy at distance 4-10 meters) because you are melee.

First of all IF you play Vanguard read Thorgrim guide for Vanguards.

Then you will realize, that for leveling - tank build is the best one, while at 50 pvp you should jump from tank to tactics 8/31/2 or assault (the first one is much better because of the utility cooldown reduction and thus survivability + mobility).

Vanguard relies on elemental attacks which CAN'T be reduced by armour, dodged. This 6% elemental damage boost + 5% elemental boost from High energy cell stance + another 3% elemental damage + elemental Crit chance from tactics + 15% move speed + elemental instant cast damage skills spam can finish of even hardest tank.

The downside is u need to kite, all day long (keep enemy at distance 4-10 meters) because you are melee.

Nezyrworks, thank you for advice, but as I understand it is mostly PVP focused. I wanted to bea PVE player, so dont need defensive cd's and speed.

The main question that I am interested in is - can I take 3 points out of some tactics tree and put them in Shield tree to get 9% aim. Is it more rewarding in DPS, that for example High Impact Bolt or 6% buff for elemental crit or damage?

Elemental crit and damage will also benefit from Aim increase, as all other abilities. But to my surprise I didn't yet find any builds, that advise to take 9% Aim. Puzzled:confused:

Nezyrworks, thank you for advice, but as I understand it is mostly PVP focused. I wanted to bea PVE player, so dont need defensive cd's and speed.

The main question that I am interested in is - can I take 3 points out of some tactics tree and put them in Shield tree to get 9% aim. Is it more rewarding in DPS, that for example High Impact Bolt or 6% buff for elemental crit or damage?

Elemental crit and damage will also benefit from Aim increase, as all other abilities. But to my surprise I didn't yet find any builds, that advise to take 9% Aim. Puzzled:confused:

My build exacly - this is a very stable dps - not the BEST one as it's losing some advantages to current High Impact Bolt builds, its still VERY solid for both pvp and pve. And yes, i have 9% additional AIM :D.

http://www12.wowhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZrsMrRrbzdsZb.1

Both 9% aim and 6% additional elemental damage from Shield tree is highly useful.

Read carefully the guide bellow, and you will understand most of the vanguard mechanics.

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-to-bounty-hunter-powertech-trooper-vanguard-mechanics-and-pvp/

Nezyrworks, thank you for the link. Very informative guide.

Regarding 9% Aim, for Tactics Vanguard it is a no brainer. You just stuck with those 3 points and it is obvius. For Assault some thinking is needed)

You're about to see +28 aim (and all main stats for that matter) augments SHOOT up in price. When every toon can have helm, chest, belt, leggings, boots, (maybe main hand and offhand) gloves, bracers, implant x 2 and ear all with an augment, that's 10-12 augments, or +280-336 aim.

You're talking about accuracy, and even then you are wrong.

He was wrong because he confused Aim with Accuracy, but he was actually correct about how Accuracy works. When accuracy exceeds 100%, anything over 100% goes against the target's defenses, so if you have 104% accuracy, the 4% over 100% goes against the target's ability to parry, dodge, etc. Whether it is a straight 4% reduction or some other formula, I cannot say, but you see this description go by in the hints during loading screens. Since that is hard to quote, here is what TOR Wiki says:

Accuracy Rating increases your chance to hit an enemy. If your chance to hit exceeds 100%, further Accuracy will reduce the target's avoidance chance (Defense or Resist, depending on attack type).

So he was wrong about it being Aim, but you are wrong that he was incorrect about how Accuracy works.

So he was wrong about it being Aim, but you are wrong that he was incorrect about how Accuracy works.

I just wanted to say that you're right about him being wrong about AIM, but you're also correct that he's incorrect about the first guy being wrong.

That is all.

Edited for awesomeness

Edited by Counterintel

He was wrong because he confused Aim with Accuracy, but he was actually correct about how Accuracy works. When accuracy exceeds 100%, anything over 100% goes against the target's defenses, so if you have 104% accuracy, the 4% over 100% goes against the target's ability to parry, dodge, etc. Whether it is a straight 4% reduction or some other formula, I cannot say, but you see this description go by in the hints during loading screens. Since that is hard to quote, here is what TOR Wiki says:

You are reading the tooltip correctly but it is incorrect, in the current game (pre 1.2) Accuracy is a terrible stat. That will however "change" in 1.2, because of the cryptic and frankly ridiculous way GZ and bioware practice communication we don't know how just yet.