Help Understanding Crew Skills

StimBoredom

I am a relative noob to MMORPG (other than DCUO) and am having some trouble understanding how the crew skills work.

I am (at time of writing) a lvl 17 Jedi Shadow. I chose Synthweaving, Gathering and Diplomacy as my skills. However, whenever I go to a skills trainer, they never have anything to train...and I'm not sure if I am going to the right places.

I just completed my main story arc (saving my Master) and received my ship, therefore I have mostly spent time on Courassant.

Will crew skills become clearer or "unlocked" later in the game? If I right click on my companion, so far there is only "dismiss" and "sell junk."

Also, any tips or advice about reverse engineering would be great. Every time I select RE, all of my items gray out. Not sure how I am supposed to use this function.

Thanks so much for any help that can be provided, the community has been awesome in helping newbies to the game!

Dont have time to write a report but the jist is click the diamond crafting icon at top.

Click a skill next to your companions name and pick a mission and hit send to gain xp. While questing grab nodes you see on your mini map. They look like a star. For your crafting skill, like before click it next to your companions name and click a schematic and make someting. Once you made something you will be able to reverse engineer it.

1. Read the Crew skill guide sticky at the top

2. Gathering isn't a crew skill, it's a category of crew skill.

3. The 2 mat getting crew skills that go with synthweaving are Archaology (which is a gathering skill) and Underworld Trading (which is a mission skill).

4. By and large you can only Reverse Engineer crafted items. Primary reason to Reverse Engineer is to learn improved schematics for the item you are reverse engineering. Getting mats back is a secondary benefit.

5. Only "crafting" crew skills (such as synthweaving) have new schematics you can buy from the crewskill trainers.

You don't use crew skills by right clicking on your companion, you use crew skills via either the crew UI (n key, or diamond button on the bar across the top), or by right clicking on a harvestable node in the world (for gathering type crew skills)

From the crew UI, you click on the icon for the appropriate skill to send your crew member(s) out on missions for that crew skill, or to have them craft stuff.

That makes a little more sense, thank you to you both.

I am reading the Crew Skills guide and I now recall the Crew tab and seeing the skills listed near my Companion, so I think I "get it" now.

Last (unrelated) question: When I equip better gear and the previous gear I had is "removed" and cannot be sold in the Galactic Market because it is bound, do I have to keep that item in my bank or if I sell it to a vendor, do I lose some attributes?

Basically I am not sure if, after equipping better gear, the previous gear (because it is bound) is still somehow providing me with benefits or if I can just sell if off. Some items I can't sell in the Market, but it seems it can still be sold to a vendor.

As far as I know only equipped gear provides any benefit. Any gear that is bound to you and is inferior to equipped gear, you should feel free to sell to vendors*.

(unless it's orange gear and you like the look. Orange gear can be upgraded via the modifaction system, which is an entirely new bag of worms)

*Note: For some characters, (Troopers in particular) Companions can use the same gear, so first make sure it isn't an improvement to a companion you actually use before selling it to the vendor.

Awesome, very helpful...thanks!

Yeah, from the beginning I have been checking if gear that I can't use, can be used with my companion. Seems like a pain though, even if I pull up my character screen and switch to "companion", if I mouse over any items that I might equip, it still seems to show the stat change to MY character and not that of my companion.

Not a big deal, but still a pain, since I have to mouse over my companions gear and "manually" compare to that of the items I have / might eqip.

There's a toggle choice in the preferences menu that allows you to compare companion gear at the same time, you end up with two seperate pop-up windows. One with your gear and one with your companion's gear.

At work, so I can't dig into the menu to find the box you need to click.... but it's definitely there.

There's a toggle choice in the preferences menu that allows you to compare companion gear at the same time, you end up with two seperate pop-up windows. One with your gear and one with your companion's gear.

At work, so I can't dig into the menu to find the box you need to click.... but it's definitely there.

Awesome, that is exactly what I am looking for. This would be the same place where I selected to "auto loot" and "area loot," correct?