I Would Like to Personally Craft

flyersfan

One of the things that a friend doing a friend trial and I have realised is the complete lack of things like fishing, cooking, fire making, and other rather meaningless tasks that are present in some other games that we used to play. He mentioned to me that he likes to do that kind of stuff, but it's just not present in SW:TOR. Doing missions and only missions is really not for him. When he asked what he can do, I told him that he can craft, but he can "only send his slaves to do it."

I would suggest that BioWare give us the option to craft by ourselves. When the first Crew Skills video was released pre-launch, I was fully convinced that this was an option. The video depicted a player character standing behind two companions as they crafted on a bench. I'd like to get personally involved and make some things at this bench.

I have also realised that this would cause some issues due to the current crafting system. The issue being that making a belt can take Companion X a very long time to make. Without completely reducing the time requirement to maybe 15 minutes, personally crafting would mean that the player would have to sit on his or her ship for almost an hour to make a piece of gear. If this were to happen, I'd like to see a pretty considerable reduce in the time requirement on the basis that the player character is simply just better than your companions at doing things, which is a pretty common theme throughout the whole game.

This feature addition would add something "immersive" and fun, especially for crafters. It would be a lot more fun to actually craft something by my hands than to stand on the Fleet until M1-4X comes back having magically made something I told him to make a long time ago.

I like that idea - allowing the player to craft his or herself and reducing the time needed to complete it, exactly for that reason, because they are doing it personally. The method of crafting in this game doesn't concern me overly much but if this would be fun for people then I support it.

I do however feel the lack of things to do in the game other than combat. Even resource gathering requires a lot of it because so many nodes are either "guarded" by mobs, or come from dead mobs. But I also think the game is so young that they just haven't had the time to add more varied types of gameplay.

So, the more suggestions for non-combat related activities, the better I think :)

So, the more suggestions for non-combat related activities, the better I think :)

I agree. I really like the combat in this game, but it can get a bit stale when that's all there is to do. In previous BioWare games, there was a purpose to walking around talking to NPC or otherwise exploring the respective galaxy. TOR doesn't seem to have enough "down time" activities to keep a lot of people coming back.

My friend and I deduced that this is because BioWare wanted to create the "at war" atmosphere for the galaxy, but it takes away from a good deal of what makes an MMO reminiscent of an MMO.

I actually prefer being able to send companions off to craft while I run around collecting more materials.

If direct crafting was an option, that would be okay. But I hope they don't ditch the current system altogether.

I do not no what you are talking about ok.

I don't get it. How would it work? Are you just locked on a crafting bench for a half an hour watching a timer countdown? Is it interactive?

This is the main issue I had, as I addressed in the OP. Having the player sit at a bench for half an hour isn't much fun unless the task is interactive and somehow rewarding. I'd suggest cutting down the time to maybe 15-20 minutes max for player characters with an increased chance for a critical crafted item, which becomes much more relevant in the upcoming patch.

This would create true "crafters" rather than everyone being able to do as he or she pleases with little need for other players to get involved in any kind of crafting endeavours.

Also, I don't think it'd be a bad idea to let you and a companion "team up" on an item. The interactivity that I'm envisioning now is something that requires the player to work certain metals/crystals into a specific shape or something of that sort in order to put the item together. Having a companion join you would allow the time to be brought down and help players be more efficient.

I actually prefer being able to send companions off to craft while I run around collecting more materials.

If direct crafting was an option, that would be okay. But I hope they don't ditch the current system altogether.

I'm not suggesting that they ditch the current system. I actually think that it's a pretty good base that allows players to continue to play rather than slave over a workbench. However, there are players that have been crafting in other games where it was a much more involved process. When I played Runescape, I spent hours upon hours forging runes, smithing shields/swords/other weapons, and cooking items. I had a lot of fun with it, but that idea isn't even a thought in TOR. I'd like to see a lot of features of TOR expand to be even better. This addition could add a bit of fun for several different kinds of players.

As a matter of fact, it would benefit you, the "I want to run around" crowd, as well. You can send your slaves to craft while you collect or do a Flashpoint or whatever. Once you Reverse Engineer enough and get that new purple schematic, you can jump back to your ship to craft it in a fraction of the time.

Once you Reverse Engineer enough and get that new purple schematic, you can jump back to your ship to craft it in a fraction of the time.

Multitask with slower (current) craft time, or direct/bench craft in less time... That sounds reasonable to me.

Once you Reverse Engineer enough and get that new purple schematic, you can jump back to your ship to craft it in a fraction of the time.

Multitask with slower (current) craft time, or direct/bench craft in less time... That sounds reasonable to me.

Glad we could see eye to eye.

Yeah, its a very good suggestion that cant be implemented because the game was designed differently from the ground up.

The craft/harvest system in SWTOR is not bad and should be enjoyed for what it is, but it does have flaws:

the most important flaw is that its not a real activity. in other mmos when you bored of questing you can go craft something and its just another ingame activity....cant do that in swtor

another flaw is that the crafting in swtor is so simple that its accessible for everyone, including the ones that would never craft in other games, so the result is that crafting is no longer a profitable activity. Its like you made raiding doable by solo players, the raid loot would loose its appeal, same if you make crafting doable by...well...everybody and his sister.