Expertise Reversal. What if.

Arumat

So I keep reading ignorant after ignorant posts about expertise/resilience/whatever other game equivilents are, and how "game breaking" it is.

This is a question for those that do get it so I won't even explain how expertise is for the career seperation.

What if Expertise was a PVE stat?

- Increase x% damage to non player targets.

- Decreases x% damage received from non player targets.

- Increases x% healing done in a PvE situation.

Stats distributed how pvp gear is, less str/willpower/cunning/aim/ect. to adjust for the expertise compensation.

PvP gear would be the stats of Tionese, Columi, and Rakata gear. No expertise but stats are above pve gear due to lack of a % gain.

What I wonder is. How would the "expertise is game breaking" crying be handled? And how would the PvE players react even though the mechanics in pve would be originally revolved around expertise and not change your preformance now.

Food for thought?

Edited by Arumat

Who said it was game breaking? My problem with it is that it makes gear far more important than it should be. PvP is about me and my friends vs. you and your friends, I don't care about our gear or yours and shouldn't have to. It should be skill on skill. Expertise isn't game breaking, it's just annoying lol.

The point on this is that there shouldn't be any pvp gear whatsoever. The idea of a pvp stat and pvp "sets" that all look exactly the same is a horrible one. If you haven't played a game without pvp stats or pvp gear specifically then you need to do so.

Dark Age of Camelot did so without pvp stats and almost everyone who played that game believe it was and still to this day had the best pvp mechanics/stats of any mmo that has been out. Pvp required team work, knowledge of enemy skills (without seeing castbars), and much more, but not pvp stats. Pvp levels were used to distribute points to be allocated for either stat increases or special abilities that would help in pve or pvp situations.

So yes....I want expertise completely taken out of this game. If it is going to be as bad as I think it is, I will probably not be playing too much longer. I'm not one to quit before I see the changes first hand but more expertise is not really something I'm looking forward too.

Edited by xHurogx

Expertise is effectively being removed from the game due to the new 1.2 sets. Everyone will have Recruit [Replaces Champion] level gear if they are walking into PVP, which means Expertise won't be an issue. Instead, expertise allows for PVP and PVE gear to remain separate in terms of usability. People won't be skipping PVE progressions with PVP gear now, just as the reverse shall be true. Edited by KyoMamoru

What OP said is best way to keep PVP competitive at all times.

Make first lvl50 gear the only stat that matters in PVP. Everything after that adds up bonuses that only add in PVE fights.

That way you keep everyone on the server in equal PVP gear stats (per class of course) while letting everyone have their PVE progression should they choose to do so.

It don't have to be expertise because having 1 stat in percentages is not very RPG alike. It can just be that all gear have base lvl50 stats that works in PVE and PVP, and then bonus stats that only work in PVE and those bonus stats progress with new raid tier content and gear.

That is if you want PVP to be competitive in the first place, where better players/teams win instead of gear.