Bioware opening the door to "Hackers" with combat log

Reevax

Right so your argument is counting on people to be smart, don't see any flaw in that?

Same flaw as creating a Thread on a Subject that likely already has threads on it. Oh, and it isn't BioWare's fault some people aren't smart. :rolleyes:

Like the comedian Ron White has said, "You can't fix stupid"

Edited by Altyrell

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't BioWares job to play baby sitter, and honestly if you read what some of the devs have said about jerkish behavior that goes with logs..you are damn lucky to get what you got.

Now you can keep pissing and moaning deal with it or vote with your wallet.

The log has been added already, your argument is pointless. I am just saying it needs to be in the game on not offline to improve account security since many people don't use any common sense online.

People get their info stolen numerous ways but one of the top ways is via malicious web pages.

People are now going to be checking web pages that are offering ways to parse the offline combat log. It's a pretty safe wager not all of those web pages are going to have honest intent.

I am not sure why Bioware does not offer an in game version of combat parse so we can just check it right there. Instead we are going to have to rely on external sources. Sadly many players do not practice good web safety and they will get their accounts stolen.

This impacts us all because now the customer service people are even more tied up dealing with an issue that would have been very simple to avoid.

hacking already happens

There are many many well known and safe web pages for addons, Curse for example is very widely used. Its not the case for all these new combat log parse pages I see popping up.

What are you arguing for? Just for the sake of opposing my point it seems.

Curse is the worst you could have used, not only did it have its live updater hacked but also the adverts on the site were known hacks and keyloggers. it was also shown that curse's database wasnt secure and people were hacking it to alter addon folders.

There are plenty of parse websites out there one of which has been mention numerous times in this topic, as far as im aware there is no need to log into these websites, no need to download on these websites, you upload your file to the website and it works out what you did when for how much and what with.

With an antivirus and firewall there is no reason for you to get hacked by that. you arnt downloading anything.

Having read the arguments, I do believe the OP to be either A. Paranoid due to having a bad experience on a malicious website, or B. Anti-combat log and trying to use scare tactics to keep combat logs out of the game.

If it's A, then I sympathize, but also say that a little prevention is a great thing. Get a good AV program that actively blocks spyware/adware and other viruses.

If it's B, then I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Also, seriously, EVE Online has had a combat log for years now, and Battleclinic has supported them for years as well. No problems with either game or site.

Jesus, you are think. The OPs premise is that you are open to being hacked because to use the ghetto combat log, you need to go to an external website. If we had REAL combat log/metering, this wouldn't be the case.

People go to external web sites all the time. The increased risk of visiting a malicious web site due to combat logs is....computing....computing...computing...zero!

The log has been added already, your argument is pointless. I am just saying it needs to be in the game on not offline to improve account security since many people don't use any common sense online.

read what he said, he clearly states that he knows logs are in 1.2 so how is his argument pointless.

Having read the arguments, I do believe the OP to be either A. Paranoid due to having a bad experience on a malicious website, or B. Anti-combat log and trying to use scare tactics to keep combat logs out of the game.

If it's A, then I sympathize, but also say that a little prevention is a great thing. Get a good AV program that actively blocks spyware/adware and other viruses.

If it's B, then I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Also, seriously, EVE Online has had a combat log for years now, and Battleclinic has supported them for years as well. No problems with either game or site.

I am neither A or B. I have never been "hacked" and I support full in game logs and addons.

There is no reason for the info not to be in the game instead of an offline file. There is also not valid argument against it.

Edited by Reevax

So why add more ways for it to happen when it can be avoided with ease by the developers?

I don't know, because Hackers will ALWAYS FIND WAYS TO HACK THINGS.

You really think or want BioWare to make a Team to counter EVERY SINGLE HACKABLE THING? :rolleyes:

I neither A or B. I have never been "hacked" and I support full in game logs and addons.

There is no reason for the info not to be in the game instead of an offline file. There is also not valid argument against it.

Your post is flawed as bw have said there is.

People go to external web sites all the time. The increased risk of visiting a malicious web site due to combat logs is....computing....computing...computing...zero!

I already mentioned that I didn't necessarily agree with the OP's assumption.

No it isn't pointless...it was added this way for a very specific reason that you want to ignore. it isn't BioWares job to toddle after those without common sense.

Even trusted sites can have a program with a keyyloggers embedded, if you download anything from even a trusted site, always best to scan it for malware at the very least.

That would fall firmly into "adequate safeguards" in my original post. If you don't have them, you have no business on the intternet.

I don't know, because Hackers will ALWAYS FIND WAYS TO HACK THINGS.

You really think or want BioWare to make a Team to counter EVERY SINGLE HACKABLE THING? :rolleyes:

Ok so then just give me a reason the parse should not be in the game instead of an offline file?

I am neither A or B. I have never been "hacked" and I support full in game logs and addons.

Ah, but then Hackers would just use those Player Created Add-Ons.

Foolish computer! You did not let your desired outcome influence your thinking!

Most don't need it because they allow addons, we don't have addons here.

And..... people go where to get their addons? Oh, yeah, 3rd party web sites.

So going to web sites to download addons is OK, but going to a web site to download a combat parser is wrong on Biowares part???

You just stomped on your own complaint.

Edited by Andryah

I do suggest going to Battleclinic and having a look around. No joke. No tricks. It's a great site and I do hope they support TOR when the combat logs go live. I think you'll change your mind. Check out the EVE Online killboard.

People get their info stolen numerous ways but one of the top ways is via malicious web pages.

People are now going to be checking web pages that are offering ways to parse the offline combat log. It's a pretty safe wager not all of those web pages are going to have honest intent.

I am not sure why Bioware does not offer an in game version of combat parse so we can just check it right there. Instead we are going to have to rely on external sources. Sadly many players do not practice good web safety and they will get their accounts stolen.

This impacts us all because now the customer service people are even more tied up dealing with an issue that would have been very simple to avoid.

The only people who want to open up the game itself to hacking are those who want mods and add-ons to be created by third parties.

Writing a text log to your computer in no way opens people up to hacking.

Try again.

I do suggest going to Battleclinic and having a look around. No joke. No tricks. It's a great site and I do hope they support TOR when the combat logs go live. I think you'll change your mind. Check out the EVE Online killboard.

Yep Battle clinic rocks and this is one thing I love about EvE's community and TOR's Community needs to adopt this.

As brutal and unforgiving the game world is you hardly ever see anyone putting someone else down over their build or their damage. If you are in a fleet they will gather around you and help you get better. the few that do are n00bs that aren't long for the game anyway.