Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

this is never going to happen in time. i already have 3 level 50's, each of them as straight as an arrow, fit for the boyscouts. it's just terrible.

bioware, hurry the hell up. in the meantime i'll just stop leveling. this implies that i have some faith, even though i feel completely lacking of it.

Edited by Darth_Gao_Gao

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is never going to happen in time. i already have 3 level 50's, each of them as straight as an arrow, fit for the boyscouts. it's just terrible.

bioware, hurry the hell up. in the meantime i'll just stop leveling. this implies that i have some faith, even though i feel completely lacking of it.

This is entirely dependent on what you mean by "in time". They've said they're pushing it out with the story patch which I can imagine is the big thing they have planned for this year. It's going to be like a mini expansion. That's a pretty ambitious and time consuming project. My guess is we'll see it in the last quarter of 2012. They might shoot for summer, but we all know that is likely to be very optimistic.

For some people, it is already too late. If you go back through the past incarnations of this thread, you'll find a lot of people who've given up on this game. Others are willing to wait out the year. You'll have to decide for yourself if you'd rather wait without paying a sub or with one, or give up entirely.

Another theory of mine is...I notice some companions already react favorably to courting items given by same gender, i.e. Kira so I am pretty much betting they are candidates.

I'd like to hope that too.

In terms of opening up existing companions for SGRAs, I can easily see a few characters where it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to have them as bisexual (with some reworking), namely:

Consular - Tharan, Nadia

Knight - Kira, Doc

Smuggler - Corso, Risha

Trooper - Aric, Elara

Inquisitor - Ashara, Talos

Warrior - Vette (at a push), Malavai, Jaesa (both light and dark)

Agent - Kaliyo, Vector, Raina

BH - Mako, Torian

Personally I'd like to see as many SGR options as possible to really keep things interesting and vibrant, but I'm hopeful that the Bioware devs are taking a while on this to make sure it's done right.

I'm really hoping that the devs don't go the way of creating new companions just for this, as a lot of players have their eye on existing companions. Were this a single player game, you just know that mods would already have been implemented to allow this ^_^

Edited by llesna

Were this a single player game, you just know that mods would already have been implemented to allow this ^_^

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on the subject matter, I'm talking to you people that feel the need to cheat) with games like this being almost a living entity, with it's constant changing of coding and such, it makes it a lot more difficult for outside programmers to do things like that.

I've not played it myself (ironically since I want to play a male and ~romance~ Corso) but I was told you can seduce

Skavik

at some point as a female. Do you think this will also be added to the Male Smuggler in the Gay Patch?

Edited by Halinmonk

In terms of opening up existing companions for SGRAs, I can easily see a few characters where it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to have them as bisexual (with some reworking), namely:

Consular - Tharan, Nadia

Knight - Kira, Doc

Smuggler - Corso, Risha

Trooper - Aric, Elara

BH - Mako, Torian

Personally I'd like to see as many SGR options as possible to really keep things interesting and vibrant, but I'm hopeful that the Bioware devs are taking a while on this to make sure it's done right.

I'm really hoping that the devs don't go the way of creating new companions just for this, as a lot of players have their eye on existing companions. Were this a single player game, you just know that mods would already have been implemented to allow this ^_^

Agreed!

Double agreed about the mods..I had the 'Alistair' mod for Dragon Age. :D

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on the subject matter, I'm talking to you people that feel the need to cheat) with games like this being almost a living entity, with it's constant changing of coding and such, it makes it a lot more difficult for outside programmers to do things like that.

Oh indeed! I'd never actually condone any player trying to alter a living multiplayer game like this for such purposes!

All I meant to convey is that I miss the modding capability of single player Bioware games, due to the workarounds you could always put in place for same gender romances ^.^

With single player / offline games, especially story-driven ones, I will quite openly admit that I often use editors and mods to enhance my gaming experience, but I have never and would never attempt anything in a multiplayer / online game.

Just wanted to clarify that so that you didn't think me a malicious sort ^.^

Consular - Tharan, Nadia

Knight - Kira, Doc

Smuggler - Corso, Risha

Trooper - Aric, Elara

BH - Mako, Torian

There's been all kinds of speculation on which companions could become SGR options, but it's always good to see more. :D In a thread that got closed, I saw someone referring to this as "retconning" the characters as bisexual, which I don't think is a good way to put it. Just because a companion is interested in someone of the opposite gender, that doesn't preclude them from being interested in someone of the same gender. Also, since they're currently only programmed to be straight, well... Hopefully we won't have to deal with too many people with this attitude once SGRs become part of the game.

If there is a tally being made for this question. I vote YES to same gender relationships. were in the 2k's lets not be old fashioned in the gaming.

There's no tally necessary, as BioWare has not only said SGRs are going to be part of the game, they've said SGRs will be added as part of the story patch, which comes out later this year. If you haven't checked out the quotes and links on the first page or two of this thread, take a look; there's lots of good info there.

Welcome to the thread to you both. :)

Oh indeed! I'd never actually condone any player trying to alter a living multiplayer game like this for such purposes!

All I meant to convey is that I miss the modding capability of single player Bioware games, due to the workarounds you could always put in place for same gender romances ^.^

With single player / offline games, especially story-driven ones, I will quite openly admit that I often use editors and mods to enhance my gaming experience, but I have never and would never attempt anything in a multiplayer / online game.

Just wanted to clarify that so that you didn't think me a malicious sort ^.^

No no no I wasn't trying to imply you were or would even think that. I was only pointing out the real time problem behind that sort of thing here was all.

There's been all kinds of speculation on which companions could become SGR options, but it's always good to see more. :D In a thread that got closed, I saw someone referring to this as "retconning" the characters as bisexual, which I don't think is a good way to put it. Just because a companion is interested in someone of the opposite gender, that doesn't preclude them from being interested in someone of the same gender. Also, since they're currently only programmed to be straight, well... Hopefully we won't have to deal with too many people with this attitude once SGRs become part of the game.

I always try to use the argument "but no one has their sexuality stamped on their foreheads, just because someone has shown attraction to one gender doesn't mean they're not attracted to the other - and no matter what their sexual history, unless they actually tell you, you won't know exactly what sexuality they are (and that's no guarantee either, because people do lie to themselves, or are in denial)". But that's skating very close to the things they don't want us to discuss here.

I modded Neverwinter Nights, but haven't modded a game since. The reason is there's nothing less satisfying (and more jarring) than to be referred to by a gender pronoun you're not. Aribeth had mostly tokens in her text, and changing those pronouns that weren't tokens wasn't a big thing - but every game since has become more complicated, especially fully voiced games.

I always try to use the argument "but no one has their sexuality stamped on their foreheads, just because someone has shown attraction to one gender doesn't mean they're not attracted to the other - and no matter what their sexual history, unless they actually tell you, you won't know exactly what sexuality they are (and that's no guarantee either, because people do lie to themselves, or are in denial)". But that's skating very close to the things they don't want us to discuss here.

Very true, and I hope that's something they address in the SGRs. While we know such things exist in SW, it would be nice to have it acknowledged - even a simple "I didn't know you liked [PC's gender]" from the PC would do, and the various companions would of course have their own ways of answering it. For some, it might be the first time they've had feelings for someone of the same gender, while others might have a story or two about their past relationships. Kaliyo might just say something like "You didn't? And I thought you were an intelligence agent."

Granted, the PC's line should be something more interesting and character-appropriate than just "I didn't know you liked [PC's gender]", but still.

I modded Neverwinter Nights, but haven't modded a game since. The reason is there's nothing less satisfying (and more jarring) than to be referred to by a gender pronoun you're not. Aribeth had mostly tokens in her text, and changing those pronouns that weren't tokens wasn't a big thing - but every game since has become more complicated, especially fully voiced games.

Yeah, it bothered me a bit back when I modded Baldur's Gate II and Viconia referred to my awesome evil female thief as male in the romance dialogues. I'd imagine it would be much worse in anything with voice acting. :eek: Makes me glad BioWare isn't just rewriting the romances with pronouns switches for SGRs; things could get very awkward if somehow the wrong sound file was played.

I'm so excited for SGRAs, Perhaps a little impatent, but so excited. :jawa_biggrin:

I'm also so happy to be on this thread. The conversion here, the great people, and the wonderful discussion we have. It makes the wait so much better.

I can't wait for the fateful story patch, then we can all party together!

I love you guys!

Kaliyo might just say something like "You didn't? And I thought you were an intelligence agent."

That is very Kaliyo. :) Besides which, her potential bisexuality is implied in the dossier the agent gets, so it's kind of "duh!".

Granted, the PC's line should be something more interesting and character-appropriate than just "I didn't know you liked [PC's gender]", but still.

I would prefer if the questioning was more subtle too. People don't tend to tackle these things head on, well... not unless you're that open. Dancing around the subject might be fun. However, given resources and time - and the fact that the existing OGRs are not all that deep, I don't really expect they'll handle it to that depth. So, I'd be okay if there's no questioning at all, provided the rest of the romance was believable.

Yeah, it bothered me a bit back when I modded Baldur's Gate II and Viconia referred to my awesome evil female thief as male in the romance dialogues. I'd imagine it would be much worse in anything with voice acting. :eek: Makes me glad BioWare isn't just rewriting the romances with pronouns switches for SGRs; things could get very awkward if somehow the wrong sound file was played.

Ironically, I was writing for a Viconia romance mod at one point (making a f/f side to her romance). But me being me, things kind of fell in a heap eventually. There are some good BGII romance mods out there.

That is very Kaliyo. :) Besides which, her potential bisexuality is implied in the dossier the agent gets, so it's kind of "duh!".

Exactly. :D I didn't think Kaliyo would actually say "duh", but she's smart and savvy enough to figure that such things would have been in whatever info the agent had about her.

I would prefer if the questioning was more subtle too. People don't tend to tackle these things head on, well... not unless you're that open. Dancing around the subject might be fun. However, given resources and time - and the fact that the existing OGRs are not all that deep, I don't really expect they'll handle it to that depth. So, I'd be okay if there's no questioning at all, provided the rest of the romance was believable.

I think how it's handled should really depend on the companion character. For example, Elara would probably say she has something to discuss with the female Trooper, then say that according to some regulation or another, she's required to disclose any information or changing situations that could cause trouble in the ranks, which means she finds it necessary to inform her Captain that she has feelings for her. It would be a lot more nervous and/or cute than I've listed here. :p

The other thing, though, is that since Stephen Reid stated that all companion romance choices will be clearly marked, it's entirely possible that SGRs will all be player-initiated, and the companions won't even flirt with a PC of the same gender unless the PC flirts first. As much as I like the idea of the companions starting things, that might end up being the best idea, and it would ensure we don't get the rage-filled posts from intolerant folks who say the game is ruined because a same-gender companion was hitting on them. :rolleyes:

Then again, the only romance I've gotten far enough in to get a kissing scene is for my male Trooper, and that was all pretty much initiated by my character flirting with Elara, so I suppose SGRs could work the same way and it would be fine.

I'm so excited for SGRAs, Perhaps a little impatent, but so excited. :jawa_biggrin:

I'm also so happy to be on this thread. The conversion here, the great people, and the wonderful discussion we have. It makes the wait so much better.

I can't wait for the fateful story patch, then we can all party together!

I love you guys!

We're happy to have you here, Elf. :)

Ironically, I was writing for a Viconia romance mod at one point (making a f/f side to her romance). But me being me, things kind of fell in a heap eventually. There are some good BGII romance mods out there.

Which is what I've been saying about Kaliyo all along. She's pretty much a lock for a femAgent SGR. :p

And for subtlety, the Leliana lesbian romance in DAO took certain convo choices that weren't quite that obvious. Well, they were obvious to ME, but that's just me. I have a... differently rational mind when it comes to stuff like that. >.>

<.<

:D

Which is what I've been saying about Kaliyo all along. She's pretty much a lock for a femAgent SGR. :p

Which then locks out most LS!Fem!Agents from the romance. Kaliyo has her moments (of both a "omg she's sexy as hell" and a "haha that was kinda funny/smart Kali" kind), but she's really not everyone's type. It would be unfair to expect her to "do" for all Fem!Agents. If Kaliyo ends up being the fem!Agent's only choice, then Jan'neria (my main character) will end up without a romance.

And the reason I keep bringing this up is because it will most likely end up with one s/s romance of each gender for each class. I'd prefer a more neutral option for Agents, thanks.

And for subtlety, the Leliana lesbian romance in DAO took certain convo choices that weren't quite that obvious. Well, they were obvious to ME, but that's just me. I have a... differently rational mind when it comes to stuff like that. >.>

<.<

:D

Hehe. I had to make 100% sure I was doing things right, because I didn't want to stuff up. Part of it is because I'm not a terribly girly girl, and some of the stuff Leliana said was best interpreted by a girly girl. ;)

Edited by Zandilar
fixing an if then clause.

Jaesa, just Jaesa, even just Dark Side Jaesa, Please BioWare?

I still want Mako and Kira the most. I won't resort to begging, BioWare, but I will resort to bribery in the form of gingerbread chocolate chip cookies. :D

Edited by MusedMoose