Romance with a Jedi shouldn't be an option at all

Mangese

Ok yeah I just like to put my two cents in as well and from what I've read yes it is true all is to and extent. Where does that extent end? I have seen examples after the Jedi order of successful marriages but none before the Jedi order

In the rise of the Empire (prequel) era, Ki-Adi-Mundi, a Master from the Council, was given permission to marry due to how difficult it was for his species to procreate.

A Jedi master was only allowed to marry to procreate but have no special attachment to the one he married. Every other example out there is after the Jedi order was destroyed. I think the point here is that yes it is against the Jedi order but does it necessary lead to the darkside? No. Dark Jedi yes. But considering what the thread is then no...romance can be a option. The goal of the jedi was not to lead anyone to the darkside and marriage and special attachment has that potential. It is true that you should have passion but to whom and what...how much? Obi wan Kenobi had passion for Anakin but he had more passion for the Jedi Order and the Republic. Its where you place it and where your priorities are.

Luke became a dark Jedi so he didn't carry over the same Jedi code so Jedi were then allowed to marry. However before that time it was seen as a great risk to Jedi.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok yeah I just like to put my two cents in as well and from what I've read yes it is true all is to and extent. Where does that extent end? I have seen examples after the Jedi order of successful marriages but none before the Jedi order

A Jedi master was only allowed to marry to procreate but have no special attachment to the one he married. Every other example out there is after the Jedi order was destroyed. I think the point here is that yes it is against the Jedi order but does it necessary lead to the darkside? No. Dark Jedi yes. But considering what the thread is then no...romance can be a option. The goal of the jedi was not to lead anyone to the darkside and marriage and special attachment has that potential. It is true that you should have passion but to whom and what...how much? Obi wan Kenobi had passion for Anakin but he had more passion for the Jedi Order and the Republic. Its where you place it and where your priorities are.

Nomi Sunrider was an example given early in this thread, from before the Jedi Order was destroyed. Of course, that's also an example from before the Prequels came along... but what you're forgetting is, the Prequels are where the Jedi Order FALLS. They're powerful, but the Dark Side has clouded things thanks to Plagueis & Sidious. They've also been increasingly restrictive and dogmatic in the 1,000 years since the Sith were thought to be annihilated.

Too many people point to the PT Jedi Order for what it means to be a Jedi and call foul when others cite examples from the EU or even this very game that don't 'fit' the PT Order, but they all forget that the Jedi Order of the films fell because they'd become so stagnant, so mired in tradition and rules. Look at Anakin--the potential to be the greatest Force-user ever, and the Council decides not to train him because he doesn't fit their "Jedi Training For Dummies" rulebook. "Too old, kid's got attachment issues." Rather than adapt the training to account for that, to guide him towards their beliefs, they refuse--and then reluctantly agree to give him to a newly-promoted Knight rather than assign him to a seasoned Master from the Council. And you know what happened to the Jedi thanks to that...

IOW, the PT Jedi Order is not the benchmark for how the Jedi Order should be throughout the 25,000+ year history of the Galactic Republic.

He became a dark jedi for a time, but he was married before that point, and stayed married after he returned to the light side.

Wait, what? Was this in the Dark Nest Trilogy or something? I thought Luke became a Dark Jedi only in Dark Empire 1, and returned to the light by the end of that first miniseries... that was like 9 years before he married Mara.

Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader because he was to afraid to lose Padme.

Anakin Skywalker is a perfect example for this. ;)

Ya but its not really an example saying that romance is bad, moreso the consequences are. But even then, Anakin was perfectly fine up until he had those visions.

Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader because he was to afraid to lose Padme.

Anakin Skywalker is a perfect example for this. ;)

Thats why you need to be able to let go. You have to be able to accept death is part of life and have to be able to handle the death of your lover/spouse in such a way that you respect the Jedi Order and your spouse/lover.

Not everyone has nor will react the way Anakin did and the sad part was Padme actually asked him to leave all of it behind and come back and leave with her. He didn't so you could argue he was more into the power than he loved her.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Actually it's not against the code. The code from the movies is extremly different from what the code was ~3000 years ago in the time and aftermath of Revan.

Marrying was completely normal for Jedis. Yes you'd need to get your OK from the council but having children and a wife/husband was completely OK for jedis in that time.

OP should check his lore if he really wants to talk about the lore in the game.

Actually romantic love period was forbidden until Luke got rid of the rule.

The main reason why it was forbidden is because it causes you to value someone more than someone else which can lead to all sorts of problems

Again in this time period it is not forbidden, it is restricted. Jedi can love/marry if you get permission and prove to the council you are able to handle it.

The final word on KOTOR/TOR-era Jedi romances should always fall to Jolee Bindo: "Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled... but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love itself will save you... not condemn you."

He, like Padme, saw the wrong end of a Jedi romance, but part of that was the fact that he was just a Padawan, trying to teach his wife to be a Jedi without the Council's approval. If he'd been able to teach his wife to control her passions, she may not have fallen to the dark side & slaughtered so many, and he may not have wound up as a cranky old hermit on Kashyyyk.

The whole point is the PC can do bad things. Otherwise they'd play cutscenes instead of conversations. Even then, Jedi romance in this period is pretty frowned upon, it appears, but I've seen nothing to suggest it is expressly forbidden. Edited by Valin_Thren

The whole point is the PC can do bad things. Otherwise they'd play cutscenes instead of conversations. Even then, Jedi romance in this period is pretty frowned upon, it appears, but I've seen nothing to suggest it is expressly forbidden.

Actually, they say it pretty early on when you're still on Tython. A couple Jedi masters give you a mission when you go to Kaleth to find out if their students are having a relationship. They explain that it's forbidden. I ended up making it a wash LS/DS wise. I lied to the Masters for some DS points, but when I went back to them, I talked them out of their relationship for LS points. At least that way I didn't feel like a dirty snitch. lol

Actually, they say it pretty early on when you're still on Tython. A couple Jedi masters give you a mission when you go to Kaleth to find out if their students are having a relationship. They explain that it's forbidden. I ended up making it a wash LS/DS wise. I lied to the Masters for some DS points, but when I went back to them, I talked them out of their relationship for LS points. At least that way I didn't feel like a dirty snitch. lol

I you look at the girl though she was ready to get violent towards you. She obviously could not handle attachment like that but there are other Jedi who can.

Up to the Great Sith War, some Jedi did practice marriage and were known to have families of their own. There were even cases of families consisting entirely of Jedi, such as that of Andur Sunrider. The children of Jedi families were often gifted in the Force. Even later in the Order, such families existed—though the continuation of the line was through those family members who did not become Jedi. Famous Jedi families of the late Republic included the Koon family and the Diath family.

However, it appears that some Jedi might have been granted the right to marry, not as a special case, but as a norm. Several Corellian Jedi (Keiran Halcyon during the Old Republic, and Corran Horn in the time of the New Republic) were allowed to marry and raise children without repercussion. Whether this was due to an agreement between the Jedi and the planetary government—Corellia is known for its family-centric culture—or purely personal choices made against the Jedi Code is not known.

Jedi were known to have relationships, whether with non-Jedi, such as the marriages of Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala, Quinlan Vos and Khaleen Hentz, Nejaa Halcyon and Scerra Halcyon, and Etain Tur-Mukan and Clone commando Darman Skirata; or within the Jedi Order itself—such as the relationships of Kit Fisto and Aayla Secura, Qui-Gon Jinn and Tahl, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Siri Tachi, and Tholme and T'ra Saa. Some were developed even as Padawans, such as Mak Lotor and Kass Tod, who died together, with Tod directly stating there was the Force, death and love. Many of these relationships did not lead to mishap. Further, Revan shared a romantic relationship with Bastila Shan, who was redeemed by him after her fall.

Up to the Great Sith War, some Jedi did practice marriage and were known to have families of their own. There were even cases of families consisting entirely of Jedi, such as that of Andur Sunrider. The children of Jedi families were often gifted in the Force. Even later in the Order, such families existed—though the continuation of the line was through those family members who did not become Jedi. Famous Jedi families of the late Republic included the Koon family and the Diath family.

However, it appears that some Jedi might have been granted the right to marry, not as a special case, but as a norm. Several Corellian Jedi (Keiran Halcyon during the Old Republic, and Corran Horn in the time of the New Republic) were allowed to marry and raise children without repercussion. Whether this was due to an agreement between the Jedi and the planetary government—Corellia is known for its family-centric culture—or purely personal choices made against the Jedi Code is not known.

Jedi were known to have relationships, whether with non-Jedi, such as the marriages of Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala, Quinlan Vos and Khaleen Hentz, Nejaa Halcyon and Scerra Halcyon, and Etain Tur-Mukan and Clone commando Darman Skirata; or within the Jedi Order itself—such as the relationships of Kit Fisto and Aayla Secura, Qui-Gon Jinn and Tahl, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Siri Tachi, and Tholme and T'ra Saa. Some were developed even as Padawans, such as Mak Lotor and Kass Tod, who died together, with Tod directly stating there was the Force, death and love. Many of these relationships did not lead to mishap. Further, Revan shared a romantic relationship with Bastila Shan, who was redeemed by him after her fall.

Corran was able to marry Mirax because Luke saw how utterly stupid the Jedi Code was before, and how little sense it made to actually ban relationships except in special circumstances. Also, Anakin and Padme went behind the Council's backs to get married, and when Obi-Wan found out, he chewed Anakin out.... although by that point, he was Darth Vader, and it really didn't sink in. My whole argument here is that in many cases, the WHOLE BLASTED MESS could have been solved if it were openly allowed instead of condemned. If Anakin and Padme had been allowed to marry, then he wouldn't have had such a tough time with the visions of her death. He could have asked Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda, etc. to help, instead of going to Palpatine.

Also, during affection convos with Kira when you two start talking marriage, she researches it thoroughly and comes up with a really disturbing trend. Yes, Jedi RAISED THEIR WHOLE LIVES in the Jedi Order can marry, but it's supervised by the Council and they're kept apart most of the time so attachments don't form. Also, any children they have are taken by the Order and raised to be Jedi with little to no contact with their parents. Try telling me that isn't ****** up! I dare ya! Talk about love nazis! My jaw literally dropped when she told me that! I was like W.T.F. is their major malfunction???

The original Jedi Code, as I've posted before, does NOT ban anything of the sort. It's just that somewhere along the line, the Jedi Council rewrote it to add the "There is no" parts, which screwed everything up. Bad interpretation and all of a sudden, Love is Bad for Jedi. Marriage, family, and attachments are all well and good for everyone else, but NOT Jedi. The Force forbid a Jedi should be allowed some time off every once in a while in order to have a wife and some kids!

Just because a few Jedi fell due to possessive relationships gone bad or because their families were murdered and they went Old Testament on the guys who did it, doesn't mean ALL Jedi will. In fact, those that fell were in a very small minority. Luke's philosophy was to handle each case on an individual basis instead of making the whole order suffer. He just sent Kyle Katarn to straighten the mess out. (kidding on that last sentence, but you get the idea).

Also, the aforementioned Jedi you listed were all in violation of the Council. At least until they decided to, in some cases, end the relationship before the Council found out. At the time of the Clone Wars, Jedi who engaged in relationships with other Jedi, without special consideration by the Jedi Council, were in effect outlaws if their relationships were ever discovered. Same with Jedi and non-Force users. Same rules applied. They were ordered to cease and desist all relations with their significant other. If the Jedi had survived the Clone Wars and things had ended differently, Luke and Leia would have been taken from Padme and raised by the Order.

Also, you would THINK the Jedi Order would perhaps repeal the whole stupid thing because of legends like Revan and Bastila! Especially with Satele in charge, and yes she does have a son. So all arguments of attachments aside, the Jedi, who think they know it all, are hypocrites in the worst way. Denying love because of fear... Stupidity in the extreme.

/wall of text rant over

Edited by Captain_Zone