Romance with a Jedi shouldn't be an option at all

Mangese

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no emotion, there is peace.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

There is no death, there is the Force.

Emotion leads to the dark side, love is an emotion and therefore leads to the darkside

Love is also a passion - passion leads to the darkside.

Emotion leads to the dark side, love is an emotion and therefore leads to the darkside

BZZZZT, totally incorrect interpretation of the code. It doesn't have anything to do with being emotionless, passionless robots, it's about how, when and why a Jedi acts.

"There is no emotion, there is peace." A Jedi does not allow his emotions to take control of him. Only when a Jedi is peaceful, and in control of his emotions does he act.

"There is no ignorance, there is knowledge" A Jedi gathers information before acting, he doesn't jump into a situation without weighing the consequences of his actions.

"There is no passion, there is serenity" A Jedi does not let his passions control him, only when he is serene can he understand the will of the Force and properly act upon it. He serves the Force and its will, not the other way around.

"There is no death, there is the Force" For a Jedi, there is no death. When one passes from this realm of existence, he becomes one with the Force, transcending death.

Nowhere in the Code does it say anything about not being able to love, or marry. In many eras Jedi were free to fall in love and marry as they see fit. In many other eras, even when Jedi weren't supposed to marry, they'd make exceptions for certain members. In the rise of the Empire (prequel) era, Ki-Adi-Mundi, a Master from the Council, was given permission to marry due to how difficult it was for his species to procreate.

Dark Jedi and Sith are entirely different. Sith are a different philosophy and teaching. Yes, you can be dark and still believe in the majority of the principles of the Jedi.

And again, love, emotion and marriage do not lead to the dark side. Don't believe me? Check Nomi Sunrider, Luke Skywalker, and countless other Jedi.

Then there was the early quest where you are asked by 2 masters to "spy" upon 2 padawans suspected of being romantically involved - it kinda leans me towards my orginal idea that passion - romantic passion - leads to the dark side and is frowned upon during the current game timeline

True, it can lead to the dark side, which is why it's frowned upon, but it does not always lead to the dark side, therefore it is not completely forbidden.

A Jedi should be able to put his emotions aside, for the greater good. Look at Anikan, had he been able to detatch his emotions and not get angsty over Padme's fate, his relationship would've been just fine. However, he couldn't let her go, he did what he thought had to be done to save her, never mind the countless others who ended up suffering from his actions. Yes, they grieve, yes, they hurt, but they don't act upon those feelings.

Look at the Legacy of the Force story line and Lukes reaction to Mara's death. Yes, he deeply loved her, but he was able to put aside his emotions to act for the betterment of the Galaxy after her death, once he was able to mourn.

For further evidence, look at Corran Horn and Mirax Terrik, or Jaina Solo and Jagged Fel. Both were Jedi romances (Corran and Jaina being Jedi, Mirax and Jag being non-Jedi) that did not lead the Jedi to darkness due to the Jedi in question being able to master ones emotions, and act while serene and at peace.

Maybe understanding the code is what more jedi need to do first instead of just thinkin the code says no emotion:

The Jedi Code, stated, removes the human element and shows what is left. Yet it does not say that is how one should act. It does not say Act with No Emotion. Instead it shows us the error in heedlessly following our human nature. Emotion clouds peace, ignorance overshadows knowledge, passion distorts serenity, chaos destroys harmony, death hides the Force. Now lets bring this all together and look at each line of the Jedi Code and how it exactly guides a Jedi in daily life.

There is no emotion; there is peace. A Jedi acts and reacts in a calm manner, not allowing the emotions they are feeling to cloud their judgment, reasoning, and objective.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. A Jedi faces each new challenge with the opportunity to gain more knowledge. They do not fear the unknown, but take the chance to learn about the unknown.

There is no passion; there is serenity. A Jedi does not allow their passions in life to affect their judgment, reason, or objectives. A Jedi acts and reacts keeping a serene mind, unaffected by their personal desire.

There is no chaos; there is harmony. A Jedi seeks moderation and balance with all things. Even though life can be very chaotic a Jedi finds harmony with that chaos. Balance in the world around them, balance within themselves, the middle-ground in each situation, and even on a larger scale harmony between technology and nature.

And lastly there is no death; there is the Force. A Jedi understands that the Force is created and associated with life. Yet death is also a natural part of life. For a Jedi there is no fear of death. For death is merely one more unknown, another chance for the Jedi to gain knowledge about the Force itself.

They should actually strive for peace in any argument or hostile situation. They should have knowledge on a wide variety of subjects, with first hand experience, and seek to remove ignorance; personal or otherwise.

They have overcome chaos, and when met with it are able to find harmony in all things, all aspects of life

In addition it is not forbidden, just restrictive in this time periold. Love/marriage a jedi can have provided:

1. They get go to the council and discuss it and get permission

2. Have been able to prove that their relationship will not cause them to forget their duty and or responsbililty.

3. Able to accept that death may occur and in such circumstances they have to be able to handle the deah of their lover/spouse in such a way that they respect the Jedi Order and their spouse/lover.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

I think I've said this a thousand times in different mediums, but here's my two credits:

There is no such thing as a perfect Jedi.

Regardless of how one interprets the Code - and ultimately, the "correct" way of doing that is up to the current Council - no single person can follow its tenets to the letter. And there are temptations; to love, but also to hate, take revenge and hold grudges. My own Jedi is a violent, martial man who believes in the justice of the sword (or lightsaber), and in many ways, that is so much worse than loving.

Jedi have passions and personalities, and try as they might to control them, there are times when they inevitably lose. There are compromises and precarious steps towards the Dark side, but an otherwise good Jedi falling in love has a long way to go to utter Darkness.

Then there was the early quest where you are asked by 2 masters to "spy" upon 2 padawans suspected of being romantically involved - it kinda leans me towards my orginal idea that passion - romantic passion - leads to the dark side and is frowned upon during the current game timeline

Frowned upon but not straight out against the code. You are dealing with a time line that is MUCH before the concept that the whole ideal of emotions (in this case, love) is totally against the teaching and considered a "cardinal sin" of the Jedi.

I think that quest was more about them hiding their relationship. When someone hides something like that it's usually cause they feel like they are doing wrong and in turn fear and being defensive over this situation could lead them down the wrong path. They also try to bribe you which is another example of how wrong they are. I think if they were open and honest and it was less of a these two are doing their own thing then their masters wouldn't have been suspicious and in turn thought it was wrong. It's been a while but i believe at the end of the quest you aren't told they are being expelled from the order just that they would be dealt with.

Ok, that code is NOT the original Jedi Code. The original stated:

Emotion, yet peace.

Ignorance, yet knowledge.

Passion, yet serenity.

Death, yet the Force.

"There is no" was added later after a Jedi fell, and it's been all downhill from there. Before the revision, Jedi were allowed to marry and have families. Similar to certain religions' priests. I am firmly with Revan here. He believes that positive emotions can help strengthen the bond with the light, and I see no reason for him to be wrong. As far as I'm concerned, the code should be used as originally intended. Not as it was revised.

Emotion, yet peace. Feel emotion, but don't let it rule your decisions. Consider each decision carefully no matter the circumstances.

Ignorance, yet knowledge. If you don't know something, find out what you need to know.

Passion, yet serenity. Nothing says you can't have a good time, or be with your chosen love when not working. But when you are working, remain calm and do what needs to be done in any given situation.

Death, yet the Force. We all die, but we become one in the Force. So cheer up!

That's my interpretation. Nothing forbidding love or romance. Just guidelines on how to handle things. "There is no" was a huge mistake when it came to making Jedi's lives miserable. Love is a natural emotion, and to deny it is unnatural. No wonder so many Jedi fall to the dark side rather than tell the Order about their gfs/bfs whichever. They're so bent on keeping it a secret that they can't go to the Masters when they have dreams/premonitions about their wives/husbands whichever. I do believe that if they WERE allowed to marry, Anakin and Padme's story may have turned out quite a bit differently.

Then there was the early quest

You need to remember that early on you are on Typhon and you and a lot of the people you deal with are either Padawans or Masters. Padawans will naturally have to live a more strict life then a full fledged Jedi, because they are still in training.

Anyone who was in the military understands how it works.

When you are in boot or in this case on Typhon, you are expected to live by a much more strict code of conduct because you aren't fully trained yet, and aren't ready to deal with some of the more gray areas of life.

When I was in boot, we weren't even allowed to look at a female let alone talk to them or have some sort of physical contact. Because doing so would interfere with the purpose of boot camp, to train me to be a solider. When I was trained then the rules were relaxed. Same thing goes for Padawans.

Edit:

Also there are light side options for romance as a Male Jedi Knight and Female Jedi Consular. It's possible that female knights lack a light side option for some reason. I don't know if that's true for male consulars or not.

Edited by VanorDM

Ok, that code is NOT the original Jedi Code. The original stated:

Emotion, yet peace.

Ignorance, yet knowledge.

Passion, yet serenity.

Death, yet the Force.

Thank you sir, i was getting ready to ask if anyone here remembered the orginal code from the Tales of the Jedi series. A+ to you sir. :D

Once you slide into the darkside are you still a Jedi? Case in point, the Darth Vader story.

No it wasn't the dark side it was the sith that Darth Vader took. Like the elements in this games story you can see how the Jedi can be considered evil as they seem to control the Galactic senate ideals through their mastery of the Force.

So honestly who could really oppose the Republic with Jedi backing them up?

Even before during the Mandalorian war the Council forbade Jedi to fight to which many opposed.

Not to mention large amount of backroom political deals and corruption in the senate.

As opposed to the Empire being controlled by the Sith their efficiency and strength in military combat almost wiped out the Republic if not for Revens influence..... no more spoiling.

Playing the female knight I choose to accept the dark side options with Doc because I realize right now at the relationships point its mostly physical. Eventually I am hoping (have not finished it up) that it turns into more or at least is an learning experience.

But after getting my sage to 50 and opting out of the romance path due to not being interested in Felix I wanted to see how much fun it could be and Doc is not disappointing. In fact being with him is the only thing my knight has done that can be considered Dark side, so I think it balances out, the lives I spare, the worlds I save the fact that I have opted to help my enemy rather then snuff them out shows that my character can have that balance and knows when to put duty first.

I think Jedi's who understand balance can have romance in their lives especially if their partners understand the tasks their loves have to go threw in the galaxy.

Below are two mentions of Jedi Marriage though Consular and Knight playthroughs respectively.

In one of the conversations with Nadia Grell as a Consular you mention to her that she should tell Theran that if he wants to be with her he should go before the Council and ask her hand in marriage and undergo a 'vetting' process to see if he is an acceptable mate, when discussing Theran's advances on her.

If you pursue the Kira romance you find out that there is actually an ancient law permitting Jedi to marry under certain conditions