It's East/West. . .NOT Left/Right. . .NOT Grass/Snow

FourTwent

I get so tired of having to 'guess' at what teammates are trying to communicate in a warzone.

Half the time people mean the 'left side' of the map when they say 'left' and half the time they mean 'left out of the gate'. It really is becoming to be an issue.

When protecting middle, I shouldn't have to memorize which side is snow and which side is grass, and I shouldn't have to walk from one side to another(front/back) to check while I'm guarding mid.

Come on people, East and West(map directions) is not that hard to learn, it's like your left and right hand, just make a correlation.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get so tired of having to 'guess' at what teammates are trying to communicate in a warzone.

Half the time people mean the 'left side' of the map when they say 'left' and half the time they mean 'left out of the gate'. It really is becoming to be an issue.

When protecting middle, I shouldn't have to memorize which side is snow and which side is grass, and I shouldn't have to walk from one side to another(front/back) to check while I'm guarding mid.

Come on people, East and West(map directions) is not that hard to learn, it's like your left and right hand, just make a correlation.

neither is grass or snow.

I start to miss the days when i used to shout at the chat INC stables INC Lamber mil INC gold mine :D

P.S people still didnt care much but they all knew which place i was talking about withought a doubt

Edited by Shiroikage

If confused it is pretty easy to bring up your map for just a second and see where people are at. If its defense you should know (assuming 2 turrets) which one you were holding anyway. When I am part of a group guarding middle I wait up the ramp to the side we have so I can jump out the back the instant help is called.

If it is about assaulting one or the other you can pull up your map and see where people are clustering up, then just head towards the crowd and follow.

Funny you use alderaan as the example as I have seen far more people getting things bass-ackwards calling out a side in voidstar, usually at the very first room.

Edited by paul_preib

They could easily paint one door red and the other green that way it would be easier to tell.

Take as an example Strand of the Ancients since the idea for Voidstar is derived from that.

Each and every gate HAS a different coloured crest on it and thats how people differentiate them when someone yells tanks at green people rush to assist green yada yada yada.

With that said it would be a lot easier if Void doors were to be painted different colours or something like that.

East/West is far easier than grass/snow. It's also good because using East/West also translates well into Voidstar, where once again Left/Right can become meaningless, and grass/snow is worthless.

Why people would choose anything else is beyond me.

Right. And this was the warzone(voidstar) I just had this issue with. I just kinda got off topic with the grass/snow comparison.

It's just a good habit of keeping everything uniformed when it comes to this. There's really not need to have to think of certain 'incomings' said different in each different warzone.

I know, I'm just ranting. It just gets frustrating and there's just no need for it(at least that I've been told).

Fully support this thread!

Seriously, there are times where I wanted to just bang my head on the keyboard. Incompetent players plus no sense of direction make for a loooong hopeless Civil War WZ. It's better to not say anything at all sometimes so people don't get more confused and HOPEfully they can be smart about which way to go at the start.

It's also good because using East/West also translates well into Voidstar

I agree with East/West because it translates into Voidstar and is easiest when looking at the minimap. If I notice people are using snow/grass I usually start using it. It takes half a second to interchange East <--> Snow, West <--> Grass so that is not really that hard to learn either. Left and right just seems to confuse people too much.

Then again, Ive run into people not knowing East from West either.

Left/right in regards to your spawn should be the easiest for all but those who get confused by spinning in circles. If the little map had a N, W, S, E posted on it then I would have faith in people being able to quickly respond to callouts. As it stands now you can watch people stop when east or west is called as they attempt to stare at the map to decide which direction is which.

If it's always left/right with your back always being where you came into the map at, then I don't see how people screw that up, and I don't understand why people argue about it when it's a simple concept.

If confused it is pretty easy to bring up your map for just a second and see where people are at. If its defense you should know (assuming 2 turrets) which one you were holding anyway. When I am part of a group guarding middle I wait up the ramp to the side we have so I can jump out the back the instant help is called.

If it is about assaulting one or the other you can pull up your map and see where people are clustering up, then just head towards the crowd and follow.

Funny you use alderaan as the example as I have seen far more people getting things bass-ackwards calling out a side in voidstar, usually at the very first room.

like I said, my recent issue(like 10 minutes ago) was in voidstar, i just got side tracked.

and im not saying i dont use my map. in alderaan that's vital imo. but it doesn't really help in voidstar. sure it's easy to look to see which side has ppl disappearing from it, but with all the cc that's not always the case.

If the little map had a N, W, S, E posted on it then I would have faith in people being able to quickly respond to callouts. As it stands now you can watch people stop when east or west is called as they attempt to stare at the map to decide which direction is which.

I was just about to go into the suggestion forum and make a post suggesting this XD

Mostly if calling east or west more folks are confused than when calling left or right (in my experience), because the majority takes it as view from spawnpoint anyways.

edit: you might also wanna take a look at this (one of the) old thread(s) where the same stuffs is discussed: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=286805

which had far more pages than you're at with your thread now.

Edited by Holskabard

Some of these guys couldn't get off of the toilet without a GPS...too many times I've seen people shout "west" for east...or "left" for right going off the objective GUI or the way they are viewing the MINI map and not the zone map.

...it's really, really bad some days.

Is it really that hard to remember Snow and Grass? Both sides look completely different and distinct. After your first time playing on Alderran you should easily know the difference. This would be like complaining that people refer to 'Hard Mode Black Talon' as HM BT.:rolleyes:

this.

Mostly if calling east or west more folks are confused than when calling left or right (in my experience), because the majority takes it as view from spawnpoint anyways.

You would think it would be easy, except that people several people are using conflicting points of reference because they think they have a more solid grasp on how "left" and "right" should be determined...

...like, the rock they tripped on

...where they killed "that guy"

..."oh, look a bunny!"

...from the direction their shoes are pointing

...and the ever classic, "doh, I'm stoned who cares"

You would think it would be easy, except that people several people are using conflicting points of reference because they think they have a more solid grasp on how "left" and "right" should be determined...

..."oh, look a bunny!"

I agree 100%. Whatever the case ends up being, we need to set some standards up and have them that way to they trickle down to the servers and no one gets confused anymore.

..."oh, look a bunny!"

haha yeh many folks are beyond help when it comes to directions but for those it doesn't matter at all which one you use coz you'll allways have a 50% chance they appear at the right spot.

I just notice (perception, I didn't gather stats) that overall more folks show up faster at the correct place if I call left or right than if I call out east or west.