Best in Slot gear list for PvE Powertech/Vanguard Tank (pre 1.2)

I know this will be obsolete in a month or less, but I spent far too long casting about in the depths of the internet, trying to find this list and failing. So I made it myself.

Before I get into the list, I'd like to outline a few points on where I'm coming from here.

1) This class Tanks with Shields. With so many abilities proc'ing off of successfully shielding attacks, it behooves tanks to stack Shield Rating and Absorption.

2) Durability is key. Tanks are meant to survive. Accuracy and Power are not as valuable as survivability. If you're having threat issues, taunt spam to make them go away.

3) I used TorHead. If I missed something, it's because it's not in their database.

The list!

Color Crystal: Any level 56 Indestructible (+41 Endurance)

Mod: Weighted Mod 25 (Deflecting Mod 25 is second best and acceptable in this slot)

Enhancement: Bulwark or Vigilant Enhancement 25. (Same Stats)

Augment: Redoubt or Shield 25 (Depending on whether you've reached 50% shield chance)

Main Hand: Any Rakata Mainhand with the Crystal, Mod and Enhancement listed above

Offhand: Rakata Supercommando's Shield Generator.

Ear: Rakata Supercommando's Module

Implants: Rakata Supercommando's Implant or Package

Head, Chest, Legs, Hands, Feet: Rakata Supercommando's WITH THE ENHANCEMENTS REPLACED BY THOSE LISTED ABOVE.

Wrists and Belt: Rakata Supercommando's (preferably critically crafted using Armormech for the Augment Slot)

Relics: Matrix Cube M7-Y3 and the Rakata Relic of the Shrouded Crusader. You may use either the Experimental Shield Overcharger or any of the +77 Endurance relics with a proc on damage rather than the Shrouded Crusader, but I think having another defensive panic button would be best.

Conclusions:

If you want to be in the best gear, you better get into some Hard or Nightmare Operations. You can craft the belt and wrist pieces using the Biometric Crystal Alloy that drops off of HM bosses, if you are an Armormech. 360 Daily Commendations will get you both Implants and the Ear piece. You can buy the color crystal for your weapon on the fleet. 3 yellow crystal shards will get you the Matrix Cube. Every other piece of gear listed here drops only in operations of those difficulties. While the enhancements are BoE, good luck getting them on the GTN.

Also, pretty much everything is Rakata Supercommando's gear, unmodified. Other than the need for 5 level 58 enhancements, all the BiS gear is appropriately labeled.

I would love to hear what people think of this list, what they disagree with and how it could be better. I hope this has been helpful for you.

Looks good. Only thing i would debate with this is the Rakata ear. Oddly enough i prefer a Columi. Mainly because it offers absorb as to where the Rakata uses defense. The hp difference is negligible between the two especially considering the vast hp pool you will already have with that gear setup + buffs.

mmm, I would question the earpiece choice on different grounds.

Rakata earpiece:

77 aim

118 endurance

48 accuracy

37 defence

Columi earpiece

72 aim

111 endurance

45 accuracy

34 absorb

My crit crafted earpiece:

45 aim

72 endurance

27 accuracy

40 shield

28 absorb (from augment)

60 defence

So... I am actually losing quite a lot of HP compared to the columi/rakata ones, however I'm gaining much better damage avoidance/mitigation stats which I think more than compensate for the HP. Only thing missing is the aim I guess for a bit of extra threat, but I think its small enough that it makes no odds really in terms of how much threat I generate compared to the added defensive stats I gain.

As thing stands at the moment, I'd be tempted to put that crafted piece as best in slot. Its what I use at the moment, though I'm of course open to arguments against that.

mmm, I would question the earpiece choice on different grounds.

Rakata earpiece:

77 aim

118 endurance

48 accuracy

37 defence

Columi earpiece

72 aim

111 endurance

45 accuracy

34 absorb

My crit crafted earpiece:

45 aim

72 endurance

27 accuracy

40 shield

28 absorb (from augment)

60 defence

So... I am actually losing quite a lot of HP compared to the columi/rakata ones, however I'm gaining much better damage avoidance/mitigation stats which I think more than compensate for the HP. Only thing missing is the aim I guess for a bit of extra threat, but I think its small enough that it makes no odds really in terms of how much threat I generate compared to the added defensive stats I gain.

As thing stands at the moment, I'd be tempted to put that crafted piece as best in slot. Its what I use at the moment, though I'm of course open to arguments against that.

It really depends on your mod and enhancement set up. Assuming you have optimised your def/absorb/shield stats with the mods and enhancements mentioned in the OP, the rakata ear and implants would be best in slot.

However, crit crafted ear and implants are an excellent way to make up for any lacking stats until you get the mods and enhancements your after.

Relics: Matrix Cube M7-Y3 and the Rakata Relic of the Shrouded Crusader. You may use either the Experimental Shield Overcharger or any of the +77 Endurance relics with a proc on damage rather than the Shrouded Crusader, but I think having another defensive panic button would be best.

If you have reached 50% shield chance and absorption, a defence relic may be better as it would be less affected by DR at that point.

Critted relics and earpieces are better than rakata ones- they lack some endurance but you should get to 20k without much trouble anyways. And thats pretty much all you need for any operation. Im stripping accuracy on all my armor pieces in favour of shield/absorption and Im not noticing any change in threat generation. If dps wants to pull aggro off you they will do it but thats what taunts were built for.

Im currently using one crafted and one rakata implant to get that extra endurance and a crafted gear with shield/def and absorption implant. Other than that I agree with the list posted above. Aways strip all your acc enhancements, they are completely useless.

• 2 weeks later...

I also believe the orange moddable belt and orange moddable wrists are better then the rakata ones. A crit crafted rakata would be debatable. But with the new 1.2 raids and alot more tank swapping spamming taunt isnt a viable way to hold threat. When you are going to need your taunt up when the tank switch comes. Also with quite a few ops mobs in this game that doesnt even proc our shield. HP is everything. Which carrys on to 1.2 there is at least 2 ops bosses in Denova that doesnt proc a shield. So i believe anything passed 40% on either is kinda pointless because you end up spinning your wheels with the dr. If you have that absorb trinket you can stay around 40% and when it procs you will hit around 60%. To my knowledge you can be critted threw a shield proc also so a good bit of defense never hurts. I go by Endurance > Shield (up to 40%) > Absorb (up to 40%) > Defense > Aim > Offensive Stats

Orange Belt/Wrists

112 Aim

92 End

11 (defensive stat of you choosing threw mods)

Rakata Supercommando Belt

77 aim

88 endurance

29 Defense

Rakata Supercommando Bracer

77 aim

88 endurance

29 absorption rating

Augment if you crit those would add 28 to any stat you choose.

But really we need to be biochem which gives us an extra 2 cds. Granted we can switch out and crit craft then re roll biochem.

Just my two sense anyway

Augment if you crit those would add 28 to any stat you choose.

The key being you can add 28 to defensive stats.

Aim aside, I'm not sure 92 end and 11 absorb or shield is superior to 88 end and 57 absorb or shield. The extra 35 aim is very tasty but I don't think that's as useful to tanking as the extra 46 pts of defensive stats. I might have a try @40% and see how I like it though, definitely worth investigating.

Edited by Prolyfic

crit columi > rakata accessories.

Wrong, you will be missing on quite a bit of armor and health. You do not need the augmented Columi to get high shield/absorb.

With only full Rakata (columi earpiece) all mods/enhancements replaced with drops from HM/NM bosses. One 77 endurance, dps relic and the high level absorb relic.

My absorb is at 49% and shield is 48%, defense is around 13 %. Over 8k armor and 23k health. Anything else, like the heavy armor orange wrist and belt is just for min/max. Totally not needed for right now.

• 1 month later...