1.2 New armor models!

Iwipe

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good designer knows what is the essence of the concept. Their design process is reducing unnecessarily things and make a product pure. That's why they can design simple and elegant design.

Bad designers don't know that. They afraid to make it simple and they need to cover their fear.

How? Adding unnecessarily things more and more then they feel they designed well.

However they don't notice they lost a concept.

Here is the good example of their thinking.

it's old video but it tells everything. I'm sure BW designers are doing same process with this video... :D

It is easy to add something later. But before you add unnecessarily things please step back and think if the concept is clear and pure. If you can't see your concept, nobody understand it.

Edited by darkbebe

For some reason, I'm of the mind that simple is better. In this instance, the concept artists seem to think that more complex and outlandish is better. However, that kind of over-the-top design only works for games like WoW or Aion, where the clothing can be anything and everything across the board; but with Star Wars, it's more about making what we have in our cultures into a slightly more enhanced way... like a vest, for example, taking that from our day and age, and adding tubing, some added lights along the collar or seams and perhaps a mechanical compartment with buttons or storage options.

I can understand that this is a new era for Star Wars, being some 3,000 years prior to the outfits we all know and love - but still, there needs to be a distinct design link between the pair, otherwise we enter the realm of 'fantastical medieval knights wearing gaudy outlandish garb... while holding a lightsaber'.

As it stands, I think a concept thread should be started, where members [who can be bothered] can post ideas on clothing options or drafts for what they'd like to see in an outfit in drawn/image form. Having done concept art previously, I might dust off my tablet and get some items drawn and put together, just to see if some help with concept direction could be offered.

You never know, something we put out there might stick.

I don't think player-created concept art is necessary. There is an official Star Wars comic book series called Knights of the Old Republic that is 50 comic book issues long. This comic series is full of great art designs showing clothing & armor that people wore 300 years before the events of SWTOR. Brian Ching, Jan Duursema & many other professional comic book artists worked on this series, all the designs they made for the KOTOR series are already pre-approved by LucasArts.

Everything that BioWare needs to know about fashion in the KOTOR & TOR eras of Star Wars history can be found right within the pages of these comics. I think BioWare needs to quit doing this job alone & take advantage of the vast resources available within Lucas' archieves. They already used LFL's sound studios to record the dialog for TOR.

So why not use the score of professional artists that have been designing things for Star Wars for over 30 years? Did you know the DCUO MMO from SOE hired on comic book superstar artist Jim Lee to design the gear & overall look of the game? Jim Lee didn't help keep people playing DCUO, but his introductory art designs for DCUO brought in a whole lot of people that wouldn't normally have played a MMO based on comic books.

BoWare needs to hire a professional to head up their Art Department, someone well known within the industry, especially the Star Wars industry. Someone with the same amount of talent as Ralph McQuarrie.

Edited by Tricky-Ha

I don't get it ...

Where have the artists gone that made all the promotional material? Specifically, I really liked the armor in all of those Class Progression video's. In there, all armor looks like it's expected from something themed after Star Wars.

Give me the armor from the Class Progression video's!

why do they insist on covering up your a-ss with that skirt thingy?

Looks awful! Hi all, my name is BoB, and im a one heck of a bounty hunter... you like my new skirty thing.. yes its fashionable all over the galaxy you know.. and makes me look rally good in combat.

my god!

honestly, the only armor that doesn't look completely terrible is the Trooper's. It looks alright.

And what the heck kind of helmet is that on the JK pvp set!?!? Like a Space helmet or Something you'd see a bounty hunter named Samus wear?! I don't even know anymore.

What idiot designs this stuff? He/she needs to be fired. The current T1/2/3 gear is horrible enough and this is even worse.

Thank the maker we are going to be able to take the mods out of it and put it in gear that you might actually want to be seen in public wearing.

I was really hoping my level 50 Sorcerer could finally put away her Black Talon level gear for some awesome high level Sorcerer vestments, but...this...what is this I don't even...buh...words nearly fail me.

The PvE gear might be halfway ok, but what the HECK are those bits and pieces stuck to and sticking out of it? The PvP set is...wow. Rags and tatters and did a mutated crustacean die on her head?

I have, not once in this game, on any of my ladies, been excited about their high level armor. Semi-intrigued by one outfit for my Smuggler, but then I quit playing Republic. I was hoping this patch would change that, and get me excited for all my Imps, but all it's done is re-affirm my decision to play my character's stories, and leave once I've had enough of that... because there is nothing worth 'fighting for' at the high end, nothing to achieve that would make me feel like it was 'worth it'.

Oh well. I'll keep enjoying what I can as long as it lasts.

Final note: I'm reminded of fashion shows. Those ridiculous, terrible shows, where fashion designers put models in the most outrageous, ridiculous, and utterly STUPID outfits, as some form of 'expression' about 'current fashion trends'.

And then, perhaps, real actual clothing designers make stuff that gets inspiration from those ridiculous outfits, but removes the ridiculous excesses.

Someone at BioWare forgot to remove the ridiculous excesses.

Edited by Shaz

Final note: I'm reminded of fashion shows. Those ridiculous, terrible shows, where fashion designers put models in the most outrageous, ridiculous, and utterly STUPID outfits, as some form of 'expression' about 'current fashion trends'.

And then, perhaps, real actual clothing designers make stuff that gets inspiration from those ridiculous outfits, but removes the ridiculous excesses.

Someone at BioWare forgot to remove the ridiculous excesses.

Exactly this. It seems the artists / designers are showing off just how wacky and creative they can be. But no-one thought to rein them in and curb some of the excess before going live.

Only a small minority actually like and wear the wacky clothing you see on the fashion catwalks, it's just too outlandish for most peoples tastes. And so it will prove with this game gear if this thread is anything to judge by. A few will enjoy wearing it, but many players will reject it and simply strip the mods out of it.

Edited by Cernow