Will SWTOR be able to compete with upcoming MMOs?

SaerethDL

tbh: I've spent like 80 € on this game.

NEVER in my life have I paid so much for a game. Is it the BEST game I've played... defenately NOT. It's really fun, but not the best. So for me the price is an issue.

I simply am not willing to pay even more for a single game. I constantly feel pressure to play, as I've paid and the sub will run out. It has a really negative feeling by now...

I often read, that one of the strenghts of SWotor is the single-player-possibities. And because of this the game will succeed. I do agree that the story is great and I enjoy it very mucht I don't really understand this argument, as for me - a solo-player - as soon as I'm done with the story - I'm out. I certainly will not stay subbed for years...

never played a mmo before, and propably never will again, as long as I have to pay a monthly fee.

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tbh: I've spent like 80 € on this game.

NEVER in my life have I paid so much for a game. Is it the BEST game I've played... defenately NOT. It's really fun, but not the best. So for me the price is an issue.

I simply am not willing to pay even more for a single game. I constantly feel pressure to play, as I've paid and the sub will run out. It has a really negative feeling by now...

I often read, that one of the strenghts of SWotor is the single-player-possibities. And because of this the game will succeed. I do agree that the story is great and I enjoy it very mucht I don't really understand this argument, as for me - a solo-player - as soon as I'm done with the story - I'm out. I certainly will not stay subbed for years...

never played a mmo before, and propably never will again, as long as I have to pay a monthly fee.

Come with us to GW2. All the benefits of an MMO without the subcription :D

Anybody who thinks that Gw2 will kill off Swtor/WoW is kidding himself(And I'm a Gw2 fanboy).Gw2 has no big raiding/end game content at all(believe it or not people do like to raid).There will be a drop of player at first but the pve/raiders will come back to Swtor.

Huh. Your crystal ball must be broken, bub. Mine says there will be massive server merges, but that Bioware will be arrogant about the process and it'll take too long to actually make any kind of a difference. Further-on, the game will become a F2P flop, and will rightfully claim its place atop the heap of failed WoW clones.

PVEers and raiders worth their salt like A) challenging content, and B) things like combat logs so they know how the heck they are doing. You might have convinced yourself that 'oh no they don't!' but, sadly, yes, yes they do. They realize that TOR is making a mockery out of what they enjoy, and they are not impressed. In fact, I see PvEers fleeing the game with increasing speed. It's the PvPers who will hang around the longest.

South Korean or North? I wouldnt give money to a country who is bent on KILLING us.

Lol. I laughed so hard. You are an american, right ? The guy who doesn´t know where MMOs are made, in North or South Korea, must be an american.

Edited by Ivanblood

Anybody who thinks that Gw2 will kill off Swtor/WoW is kidding himself(And I'm a Gw2 fanboy).Gw2 has no big raiding/end game content at all(believe it or not people do like to raid).There will be a drop of player at first but the pve/raiders will come back to Swtor.

I have to agree with your assssment.

GW2 appears to be well on it's way to being the Facebook of purchase to play games. Which will appeal to a segment of players, more likely people who consume FPS games then MMOs though. Which is a large total available market, and they will likely do fine with it, but I think it will have limited impact to other MMOs, including WoW.

Edited by Andryah

Did you really expect better from Funcom?

My concern about SW is will Funcom be able to get it ready enough to launch, or will it be their iceberg that sinks their development budget for games. It's a very ambitious project, and I question if they have what it takes to pull it off.

Edited by Andryah

I played Tera and it had some good qualities in Combat and the characters/races. I guess PVP is pretty good. PVE was a total grinddest kill 10X and fed ex.

Can you tell me what you did in TOR from 1-50? I'll answer for you since it's the same thing everybody does; you did kill and fetch quests. The only difference is that some voice actor told you why you needed to kill 10 rats. To be quite honest, I will never care why I am killing 10 rats, or why I'm clicking on 10 shiny things. The "epic" voiced quests are meaningless when the gameplay that goes along with those quests is about as insipid as it comes.

GW2 holds no interest for me. It is just far to pvp focused for me to even think of playing it.

From your statement it shows that you're either a biodrone or you just do not know enough about GW2. There are plenty of PvE as well as PvP content. Please do a little research before you make such a statement.

I think GW2 does threaten a good amount of MMOs due to the fact its free to play and looks somewhat well done. It looks like something you'd pay 15 bucks a month for but seeing its not...that'll really give it a big edge.

TSW, I only heard of it for alittle...it seems like conspiracy terrorist...I mean theorist will love this game. I dont really forgive Funcom for AoC so...I doubt i'll really care for it. It just looks awkward.

TERA, im not saying anything else I already havent said...korean grindfest mmo that already bombed in Asia, dumbed down for ROUND EYE audiences. Females wear nothing by two dinner plates for armor....Elin secures the pedophile/loli fanbase etc etc.

MoP, looks nice...im a sucker for the environment and lore department.

TOR does have competition, will it be able to compete...hard to say...time will tell. Hard to doom-say.

I was not interested in this game until I read the following in Nvidia's newsletter.

"The Secret World: DirectX-11 Powered MMO Approaches

GeForce.com spoke to Rui Casais, Funcom’s Chief Technology Officer, to learn more about The Secret World, a massively multiplayer online action role-playing game. Featuring DirectX 11 effects, tessellation, 3D Vision support, Surround support, and more, The Secret World is the most technologically advanced MMO to date."

Considering the DX9 version of swtor that has given lots of people fits, it may be very interesting to see how this game looks.

So far swtor is far superior to all the other supposite mmo's coming out in the near future. Blizzard knows WOW is dying, and im sorry lame panda bears do suck. As far as the others, people do have their favorites, but I think once bioware finally works out all the quirks with swtor it will live for a very long time...

Will swtor lose alot of player base to mmo's that are coming out soon, TERA may 1st, and GW2 around dec? After playing TERA over beta weekend it seems like a very developed and quality MMO that has all the things an MMO'ers heart can desire. These mmo's didn't give the excuses that they are a new MMO and need to develop after launch.. they are delivering everything we expect in a modern day MMO on release.. How will swtor hold up to the competition is the question?

Considering neither one of these games is really pushign a story aspect they just appear what they are...another basic MMO Asian game (Tera) and (GW2) a Sequal MMO that deviates heavily from the original meaning its likely to trip on its face. Personally I hated GW1 so its not even on my radar and as an Asian game ... forget about it. Fantasy games ... are tired to me.

You say they don't give excuses but neither game has launched meaning they can't even USE that argument yet. You say they're well develpled but you played for what 2 days? Plus its still BETA so any number of things can change before launch when thousands of players crush the servers. They've proved nothing other than they can be a pretty asian game.

All game companies have the argument of "being new" for the first year and every MMO has used it. Conan did, WoW did, EQ2 did, Warhammer Did, SWTOR has, Champions Did it, Guild Wars 1 even did it. They all do because guess what its an MMO and when they're new they got some trip ups. Its how the company handles those trip ups that proves they're worthy. As much as I dislike WoW they have proved they can handle the trip, to me SWTOR has proved they can handle it as well though perhaps slower than some loud mouths think they should. I think they forget people do actually have to EAT and go home to sleep.

I was not interested in this game until I read the following in Nvidia's newsletter.

"The Secret World: DirectX-11 Powered MMO Approaches

GeForce.com spoke to Rui Casais, Funcom’s Chief Technology Officer, to learn more about The Secret World, a massively multiplayer online action role-playing game. Featuring DirectX 11 effects, tessellation, 3D Vision support, Surround support, and more, The Secret World is the most technologically advanced MMO to date."

Considering the DX9 version of swtor that has given lots of people fits, it may be very interesting to see how this game looks.

Don't forget Secret World is being made by Fail/LieCom i'd suggest waiting until it releases to see if they actually deliver all the smack they talk.

From your statement it shows that you're either a biodrone or you just do not know enough about GW2. There are plenty of PvE as well as PvP content. Please do a little research before you make such a statement.

Are you serious? 1 guy says that GW2 holds no interest for him and you accuse him of being a Biodrone?

You sound just like a GW2 fanboy. -_-

Hope it does but with BW forum *****es deleting my threads that expose there flaws and ask questions relating to how are they gonna handle many unsubs.

Are you surprised? BioWare isn't even legit anymore, that's why all of their good writers left and left the bad ones (Mac Walters, Jen Helper).

GW2 has the potential to take lot of the PvP audience from Swtor unless Bioware does some work with their "world" pvp, maily Ilum.

I love the game and am working on my second Battlemaster toon but the lack of pvp focus is disconcerning. WvWvW is really attractive to me, nothing has been done like it since DarkAgeofCamelot which to many oldschool pvpr's was the holy grail.

I do however believe this game will be one of top PvE games on the market for years to come and have a pretty faithful if not large playerbase.

Don't forget Secret World is being made by Fail/LieCom i'd suggest waiting until it releases to see if they actually deliver all the smack they talk.

I am going implement the old "fool me once concept". I fell for the swtor hype, pre ordered, and got early access. Although I have no regrets and am still playing, enjoying the game, and find many good things that were done, it is so much less than expected. So I thank you, but will never get sucked in and order a game again until it is out for a while and I have had time to consider the reviews and read a good sample of the comments on the forums.

I just found it interesting after reading the arguments in the quality of gameplay, fps threads, and shadows threads to see a geme reputed to implement DX11 with good visual stuff. You may be right (probably are) and it may run like crap, need a $ 5,000 rig, or not deliver but it is nice to see someone speak to quality graphics and a modern capability.

I'll perhaps try out GW2 and maybe Tera. But right now, after playing NWN2 again, I've realised that there can be perhaps more depth found in other multiplayer games (e.g. Diablo 3) than in SWTOR. At the moment, I only log into SWTOR to join in on an FP every other night.

Right now, I'm waiting to see the what 1.2 actually brings. But going off what we know, I don't think it will encourage me to continue subbing once it has been released.

Edited by Tarka