Will SWTOR be able to compete with upcoming MMOs?

SaerethDL

Will swtor lose alot of player base to mmo's that are coming out soon, TERA may 1st, and GW2 around dec? After playing TERA over beta weekend it seems like a very developed and quality MMO that has all the things an MMO'ers heart can desire. These mmo's didn't give the excuses that they are a new MMO and need to develop after launch.. they are delivering everything we expect in a modern day MMO on release.. How will swtor hold up to the competition is the question?

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea but... this is star wars

I figure thats the only thing remaining that will hold on to some subs, but I only see this game holding around only the subscriptions that Star Wars Galaxies did after a few more months you will be able to tell.

As much as it grinds my gears about how many features were missing from SWToR at launch, TERA isn't a new game. Its already been out in Japan for quite some time afaik.

Also, it will and it wont. ToR is completely casual, it will retain a ton of players because that and because of the Star Wars IP. It won't ever do as well as it could have, but it will do well enough.

yea but... this is star wars

There is a bit of truth in that.

GW2 and Tera are both more of the same medevil fantasy worlds that has been done to death in MMOs. I, for one, am turned off by that before I even look at any other features of them.

You just said in your other thread that you are leaving Swtor to play Tera... so why do you care?

Cya later. Enjoy your asian grindfest.

well im not gonna jump the gun until i check out the endgame. But don't judge something until you at least given it a fair try.

I figure thats the only thing remaining that will hold on to some subs, but I only see this game holding around only the subscriptions that Star Wars Galaxies did after a few more months you will be able to tell.

People who have already made up their mind about this game always think this way. As though they have some inside line to the MMO player that no one else has.

Every MMO that comes out from this point will struggle, I have tried to go back to old MMO's they feel flat, and unappealing after what SWTOR had done.

The real question now is can any MMO launch now for less than a couple hundred million investment to do what SWTOR has done.

Will swtor lose alot of player base to mmo's that are coming out soon, TERA may 1st, and GW2 around dec? After playing TERA over beta weekend it seems like a very developed and quality MMO that has all the things an MMO'ers heart can desire. These mmo's didn't give the excuses that they are a new MMO and need to develop after launch.. they are delivering everything we expect in a modern day MMO on release.. How will swtor hold up to the competition is the question?

tera has already been out for a year in asia. its nowhere near a "new" mmo. on top of that you sound very ignorant of gw2. can you name what features its launching with thats "expected" for current mmos to release with?

im all for high expectations, unrealistic ones however, not so much. i think tor will be solid. pretty much all of the "major" issues were covered pretty fairly at the guild summit, and it very much appears that they are headed in the correct direction. right now i am personally waiting to see if they can actually meet the goals they have set.

Edited by livnthedream

Tera is a grind fest, boring, and korean made...enough said. GW2 doesn't appeal to me at all, neither did WoW...guess I can picture myself holding a lightsaber better than being some ugly orc.

see, there arent any orc's in tera, you guys haven't even given it a look over.. and its not a korean grind fest.. most of their mmo's are, but this isnt the case.

see, there arent any orc's in tera, you guys haven't even given it a look over.. and its not a korean grind fest.. most of their mmo's are, but this isnt the case.

I was talking of GW2 with teh ugly characters, tera's gfx are beautiful but go play it for 3 days and come back to me. BORING.

He was talking about WoW with the orc. Also, I played Tera for a beta weekend. It is exactly an asian grind fest. No lie.

I played Tera and it had some good qualities in Combat and the characters/races. I guess PVP is pretty good. PVE was a total grinddest kill 10X and fed ex.

GW2 looks great but the cool thing is with that no sub. I will play GW2 and SWTOR so I do not bunr out. The other interesting players are The Secret World which I WILL try out and Arch Age which is supposed to be a great sand box game but i dont think the last two will hit SWTOR very hard.

I was talking of GW2 with teh ugly characters, tera's gfx are beautiful but go play it for 3 days and come back to me. BORING.

I've played 2 beta weekends already, it is absolutely my favorite MMO in that timeframe which isn't long I might add, but I've played maybe dozen's of mmo's out there. Im not here to promote the game.. the ones that want to check it out, go check it out.. I'm just wondering if either of these two mmo's become successful whats to happen to the swtor player-base that IMO has been rapidly declining.

I've played 2 beta weekends already, it is absolutely my favorite MMO in that timeframe which isn't long I might add, but I've played maybe dozen's of mmo's out there. Im not here to promote the game.. the ones that want to check it out, go check it out.. I'm just wondering if either of these two mmo's become successful whats to happen to the swtor player-base that IMO has been rapidly declining.

Well I can help you with that. They'll be coming back very shortly after release ;) as this game though it might have some faults atm, is only going to get better. And IMO, your opinion of 'rapidly declining' is wrong, but hey!

well im not gonna jump the gun until i check out the endgame. But don't judge something until you at least given it a fair try.

I've played a lot of MMOs, and different people have different tastes, needs, and wants. That said, IMO:

What you are going to find with Tera is that it's design is centered around Korean players. It's a different demographic and it does not translate to the US market as large and popular, and certaily won't carve a large market share from other MMOs, not even WoW. It's just the nature of the difference in play desires between Asian players and Western players. It will be a grinder, so only grinders will really take to it.

GW2 is going to niche well for some players, and people will buy it and keep it on their computer for change of pace since it requires no subscription. But it's not going to take much away from other MMOs either. People who are bored with MMOs and want something different will flock to it, then find it's actually not all that different and where it is, it's not that amazing. It may succed with PvP centered players, but I doubt it as they really rail on every game they play (I'm convinced they cannot be pleased).

Casual progression PvE is a very large market in the MMO space. Neither Tera nor GW2 line up all that will with this segment of the MMO market. Whereas SWTOR does, and has IP that many both like and enjoy. It remains to be seen how well SWTOR attacts and holds more hardcore players over time, but I don't think there is much doubt that it's very well centered for Casual Progression PvE players who enjoy a Sci Fi genre.