Aszhara vs Revel

Denerion

Greetings!

I have heard a lot about Aszhara being the better choice over Revel and vice versa. However does any of you have any specifik proof of which is the better or is it purely a religious thing?

As I am wondering which one to gear up, I find it important to figure out which one is the better, but allow me to start out:

Andronikos Revel

Companion type: Ranged Damage

Armor: Medium Armor

Primary Stat: Cunning

Secondary Stat: Endurance

Primary Weapon: Dual Blasters

Secondary Weapon: Dual Blasters

Aszhara Zavros

Companion type: Melee Damage

Armor: Medium Armor

Primary Stat: Strength

Secondary Stat: Endurance

Primary Weapon: Dual Lightsabers

Secondary Weapon: Dual Lightsabers

By this measure the only real difference is their primary stat and their weapons, ranged vs melee.

So the question;

Which is the better one? I would prefer if we could write something constructive rather than just typing a name here, if it is possible :)

Everyone I speak to always recommends Ashara as the higher pure DPS companion.

My personal opinion is that Andronikos is better. He has excellent AoE attacks, and mine often crits with the one ability for 2k + damage (both full Centurion with Purple 49 implants)

This plus the standard advantage of Ranged > Melee, like no DPS downtime and frankly I can't see how Ashara can be considered better.

I don't think you can say either one is better flat out because they so rarely will be at equivalent gear levels. Maybe you can be more specific on that front? Are you asking which one is better if they each had the best possible gear in the game? I doubt that's what you're asking...meaning this seems like a "while leveling" question.

What I can say is that since I'm an artificer, I was able to keep Ashara's hilts up to date moreso than Revel's barrels. Did I compare their damage numerically to see if she was actually pumping out higher numbers and translating that into faster kililng. No.

I think it really depends on what gear you have at the current time. When I was in need of a dps companion while leveling up, I used the one that had the best damage at the time. I will say, that as a preference, I have noticed that sorcerers like a melee dps companion, hence use Ashara, while melee dps seem to prefer a ranged dps companion.

Edited by Qonor

There was someone on these forums that did some testing of both Ashara's and Andro's DPS (equally geared) by timing how fast they killed a specific high hp mob. Can't recall which thread it was in though.

Ashara (in bleed stance) proved to be higher dps.

Personally, as a SinTank, I always use Ashara. My reasoning is that if she happens to draw aggro (which she occasionally does, this proves she does quite high dps) she will be right beside me so I don't have to waste time running after the mob.

Edited by Rhaphael

I prefer Ashara. It's possible that it's mostly because I took Artificing and could build her new hilts fairly frequently, but she just packs a heftier punch for me. Andy's still a fun character, though, and he's probably a little better at AoE, though I can't say that for sure.

My reasoning is that if she happens to draw aggro (which she occasionally does, this proves she does quite high dps) she will be right beside me so I don't have to waste time running after the mob.

Isn't aggro 110% for melee versus 130% for ranged though? So by your logic, you're comparing apples to oranges.

There was someone on these forums that did some testing of both Ashara's and Andro's DPS (equally geared) by timing how fast they killed a specific high hp mob. Can't recall which thread it was in though.

Ashara (in bleed stance) proved to be higher dps.

Personally, as a SinTank, I always use Ashara. My reasoning is that if she happens to draw aggro (which she occasionally does, this proves she does quite high dps) she will be right beside me so I don't have to waste time running after the mob.

Ashara better stance is the armor pen stance, not bleed.

Isn't aggro 110% for melee versus 130% for ranged though? So by your logic, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Wrong.

What he means is if Andronikos pull aggro on a melee mob, that kob is going to run out of the pack to him.

Its a minor annoyance, since you have a few mid range attack, compared to a jug lets say, and a pull (not to add, with an high threat AoE move every 8 sec, andronikos needa to pull a serious crit serie to get one on him) but its a valid factor, that ashara is going to be right beside you or nearly, effectively nuking any risk of running around.

Also unless I'm mistaken, the melee/ranged threat treshold is relative to the tank position, not the puller. Meaning melee pull from a tank within 4 meters of his target at 130%, ranged pull from a tank in farther than that at 110%. Altough could be 10m.

But fairly sure this assumption was what made sithwarrior.com people claim cloud mind and other threat reductor where broken, since they expected to be at 110% of the threat, and were at 130%)

Ashara, and only because of weapons and gearing.

Pistols with cunning are scoundrel weapons, and while you can put a cunning barrel and mods in an orange blaster, that is somewhat of a pain in the *** as opposed to simply grabbing a marauder weapon and throwing it on your companion.

The number of companions who use pistols and cunning on imperial in this game is a bit of a pet peeve for me. Bought Ashara a champion light saber the other day, why you ask? What else do you do with champ commendations after 60 valor?

Ashara better stance is the armor pen stance, not bleed.

It was clearly proven that bleed stance was superior to pen stance.

I think was is confusing is what can only be a display bug on the exact value of her bleed stance. It hardly ever goes up. My (pretty much endgame geared, rating 126) Ashara says her bleed stance does ~340 damage. On the other hand my equally geared Torian's (who is basically her mirror) bleed stance tooltip says it does >850 damage. Clearly Ashara's bleed stance tooltip is bugged.

Edited by Rhaphael

Andronikos is always next to my character, so it makes it easier on aoe pulls: Combination of my Storm and his attacks while healing circle is healing BOTH, makes things much easier. :)

If, by any chance, I have to move from aoe damage, I simply pull him towards me. He won't move or run back into aoe like Ashara would do, since she is a melee.

However, sometimes, I use Ashara for single target. :cool:

Ashara, and only because of weapons and gearing.

Pistols with cunning are scoundrel weapons, and while you can put a cunning barrel and mods in an orange blaster, that is somewhat of a pain in the *** as opposed to simply grabbing a marauder weapon and throwing it on your companion.

The number of companions who use pistols and cunning on imperial in this game is a bit of a pet peeve for me. Bought Ashara a champion light saber the other day, why you ask? What else do you do with champ commendations after 60 valor?

This is what I wanted to post about difference between the two. I was able to put Ashara in dual lightsabers from spending my Tionese tokens, but can't do the same for Andronikus due to lack of Blaster Pistols with Cunning to buy. While this is onl t1 and you can buy t1 barrels for Andronikus, if you land Sith Warr mainhand/offhand tokens as companion loot in your raid, you can get Ashara t1.2 lightsabers while Andro can't use t1.2 grade weapons.

revel is more dps, ashara is better for pve tho as she can tank/solo strongs where revel spends too much time kiting and losing dps. but in pvp (before the ilum nerf) revel could solo a melee that had no clue what he was doing cause he kites as part of his attack pattern, you could put revel on someone then run away and revel would kill that person very easily.

since i stopped doing dailies i dont use either but all but talos is fully geared in epics so i have a lot to choose from if i do want to use them. as a sorc, i simply never need a healer pet so talos is useless to me, i like the tank pets tho.

I actually stuck with Andronikos in the end because Ashara often (more so than Andronikos, at least in my own experience) gets caught in the AoEs especially in boss fights since she's melee (ie she's in range of the AoE when the boss casts it on MY position) and I have no problems with targets jumping on Andronikos because I usually just mass taunt when that happens.

As a healer, I use Andronikus because I've found that Ashara has an annoying habit of jumping around corners and then crying about how she's about to die. I have enough of that while healing group content, I don't need it from an NPC.

That and as a Dark Side Inq, I hate that we have to put up with someone who clearly doesn't want to be there and is still very much a Jedi at heart. I get that Bioware wanted everyone to have a variety of companions, and that each companion has his or her own personality, but (and I'm not even really an RPer) it just seems odd that a Dark Council member is housing a Jedi on her ship and isn't running into any issues. But hey, as a Biochemist, the Diplomacy bonus is pretty good.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.