And the absolutely "easiest" class to play is?

Stoofa

Every MMORPG/MMO is somebody's first. For me, UO was my first MMORPG.

For others it might have been EQ, EQ2, AO, WOW.

So, for a second assume that SWTOR is your first ever MMO. Which would you say is the easiest class to play?

Assuming your plans are PvE, certainly to begin with until you get used to how everything works.

Which advanced class is going to be the easiest for a totally new to MMO's person to get to grips with?

Thanks.

Trooper/BH, you only need 1 button.

Not true for Vanguards/Power Techs, but they're just as easy to play once you get your healer (which is from level 7 as a powertech).

Either way, playing my Vanguard is probably the most fun I've had in the game and I have one of every class on both sides (ranging 12-30).

Sorc is by far the easiest class to play because it is OP. It is highly versatile. Can spec to have above avg heals and dps simultaneously plus so many other tools. Never have mana issues, very difficult to die, never ever had an oh s&^t moment

It isnt a secret why they are the most played class

There is no one class that answers all of those definitions. It also depends on what you mean by "easiest". Personally I first leveled a Vanguard to 50, tank spec the whole way primarily with the healer companion. Then I did some tinkering with two consulars.. one a sage up to about 18. Then my shadow that I just got to 50 on, tank spec the whole way and with the healer companion once I got him.

I have to say that the shadow was significantly easier, faster, and more fun. I seemed to do a whole heck of a lot more damage than my vanguard did without really taking much more incoming damage (at least once I started getting the tanking talents and gear). The ability to stealth, CC, and "vanish" came in handy frequently. Also, the shadow felt a lot more engaging in combat.. more responsive which to me was more enjoyable. The vanguard felt very delayed and slower. I didn't run into any trouble killing anything on my vanguard while leveling.. it was just much slower than my shadow and combat overall was less exciting. But.. I had more cooldowns, buff/debuff timers, and buttons in general to watch on my shadow compared to the vanguard. That to some may make it not as "easy" but wasn't the case for me.

But your last question is totally different... which class would most easily get you into groups/ops? A healer.. any healer. There seems to be a huge shortage of healers of all types compared to anything else.

I've played a vanguard and a scoundrel. The vanguard is probably a little more forgiving in battle, since you are well armored. The scoundrel has stealth -- which makes general exploration a lot easier, and allows you to avoid many fights completely.

When you find yourself unsure what to do, you can go into stealth and hide in a corner while you think about it.

If any developer happens to run into this thread, please take the following story among all the considerations you make when balancing classes.

You have made a class that needs two resources, position, melee range and a LOT of situational buttons and other classes that are more straightforward to pick up and play. Pleople who like to play the game in hardmode will pick the first while people who don't will pick the second.

Do not make the mistake of then making every class more complicated to make it "interesting" to play, because people who have gravitated to that class have done so for a reason. You take away that reason and you'll have those who like hardmode have all classes at their disposal, and those who don't be either trapped into what for them are miserable gaming mechanics and probably turn away.

Think- people play for fun other for challenge and others for both. Don't fall into the trap other MMOs have done by trying to make all classes an equally miserable play experience.

Time and again developers have justified class nerfs on the basis it's easier to nerf one class than to buff 3. Over time you will be left with a semblance of balance where all classes are equally crappy. So far BioWare has demonstrated remarkable commitment to quality and longevity. I hope that extends to their approach to class balance.

All of them really... but if they had to be ranked.

Most Easiest to least easiest.

Trooper/BH

Consular/Inquistor

JK/SW

Smugglar/Agent

I find myself having to pay more attention with the smugglar more than the rest...

Gun Slingers do not get a healer pet until WAY late in the game, so most champions can't be soloed.

My personal opinion though on the bar-none easiest class to play is a Kenetic Shadow with Tharan (healer). The utlimate faceroll. With tanking + Stealth + AOE + mezz openers... there really isn't much they can't do alone.

so far no one's mentioned sage...

Because Commando/Mercenary is still easier?

The suffix 'est' implies most, final, absolute. You're not convincing anyone that Commando/Merc is harder to play properly than Sage/Sorc.

Edited by Onager

Of the 3 I've leveled (easiest to "hardest")

Commando healer

Shadow tank

Sage healer

Commando was the easiest due to the wealth of AOE abilities they have. MV when no on cooldown pretty much wipes out a group of non-elite mobs, plus they have 3 other AOE abilities and decent single target. I ran with Jorgan the whole way so having two heavy armor meant I wasn't taking a whole lot of damage either.

Shadow is a little slower at killings things but with a healer companion, almost impossible to die. Stealth + mind maze made it so I could complete some heroics by stealthing through when I wouldn't be able to kill the enemies.

Sage doesn't get an AOE ability till level 34 so you are stuck single-targeting for quite a while. My healer spec doesn't do a lot of damage and with a DPS companion both of us can take quite a bit of damage. Would probably be a little easier with a tank companion but would also slow me down.

All of them really... but if they had to be ranked.

Most Easiest to least easiest.

Trooper/BH

Consular/Inquistor

JK/SW

Smugglar/Agent

I find myself having to pay more attention with the smugglar more than the rest...

Gun Slingers do not get a healer pet until WAY late in the game, so most champions can't be soloed.

My personal opinion though on the bar-none easiest class to play is a Kenetic Shadow with Tharan (healer). The utlimate faceroll. With tanking + Stealth + AOE + mezz openers... there really isn't much they can't do alone.

Trooper and BH do start off very easy; but I will agree that tank spec Assassin/Shadow is a complete faceroll when you get your healer; but that also isn't till around what? Level 40?

If you are new, I say Trooper/BH for the heavy armor and straight forward approach. Don't let people fool you into becoming a meathead that spams a single move though. I say go ahead while you get the feel, but eventually; particularly the healing spec advanced classes can offer more to take on and add value to you in a group.

Trooper and BH do start off very easy; but I will agree that tank spec Assassin/Shadow is a complete faceroll when you get your healer; but that also isn't till around what? Level 40?

If you are new, I say Trooper/BH for the heavy armor and straight forward approach. Don't let people fool you into becoming a meathead that spams a single move though. I say go ahead while you get the feel, but eventually; particularly the healing spec advanced classes can offer more to take on and add value to you in a group.

Assassin gets theirs on Hoth, 37-41. Shadows get theirs on Nar Shaddaa, usually around 25.

I played a healing operative for around 25 lvls and into valor 54 or 55. That's kind of like bringing a Nissan Sentra to a monster truck rally.

I rolled a sorcerer on Tuesday, ran it up to lvl 22 so far , and...well, it's like flying over a monster truck rally in a stealth bomber. Huttball is actually supposed to be fun, and I never would have known it otherwise...

Edited by OldSwab