Why do so many in mmo's now hate grouping?

Badlander

I see so many posts now how ppl hate being in guilds and being forced to group to do some of the things in game.

Why in the heck are these ppl playing an mmo? If these ppl had their way we would be playing a single player game ( which at this point we are not far from ) but they are only making it worse.

What has happened to the mmo gaming world? It used to be great ppl wanted to group and all that stuff now it seems ppl have become very antisocial.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see so many posts now how ppl hate being in guilds and being forced to group to do some of the things in game.

Why in the heck are these ppl playing an mmo? If these ppl had their way we would be playing a single player game ( which at this point we are not far from ) but they are only making it worse.

What has happened to the mmo gaming world? It used to be great ppl wanted to group and all that stuff now it seems ppl have become very antisocial.

These are probably the same people that cry because they can't find a group.

Go figure.

;)

People want easy mode, which for many years it has been this way, even more so in recent years.

Old school gaming was difficult where if you died you died, and had to restart. People hate that now a days, so them wanting solo content is only natural.

Edited by Brimmer

i think it is more likely because after years of horrible pugs people would rather just play alone then have to deal with people..

nothing like trying to get a group together then after a half hour the tank or healer goes afk for awhile causing the rest of the group to disband rather then waiting.

or after taking forever you get the group going and the healer things he is the tank and runs face first into the mobs

and my personal favorite that i see on this game finding a bounty hunter that is running around in willpower/endurance light Armor cause he wants to wear a robe instead of armor.

Edited by soulself

I have seen this trend over that last few years in just about every new mmo, I know back in the days pre-wow you pretty much had to group to swat a fly, and if your friends and guildies were not on unless you pugged it you made no progression that day, these days you can pretty much get to max level with little or no grouping, I like to be able to progress my toon when no one is on, but playing alone in a social game gets boring fast, I stay grouped 90% of my online time.

I dunno where this trend started, is it console players, but now there is allot of online play there as well, maybe the instant gratification generation does not have to ,wait on other or figures things do not go fast enough, I dunno /shrug

Because nothing says heroic jedi or fearsome sith like flailing your green, glowy hands about while your lightsaber dangles uselessly from your belt. Grouping would be fine if the game mechanics encouraged fun grouping instaed of pigeon holeing them into lack luster roles. Edited by shepardcomander

ppl dont like grouping with random ppl outside their guild or whatever cuz they dont wanna share any loot that drops, and if any loot drops they all want it to themselves. isnt it obvious?

i was told this many times, some random noob needs help killing the boss in a flashpoint, couldnt solo him so he/she asks for help.. i give him/her my help and before we entered the FP he/she types " if any loot drops dont greed or roll for it, just pass up on it" and i was like ***. forget it find somone else to help you then.. and i leave his/her group lol...

this is why ppl dont group.. also this game is easy enough to solo if you really know how to play.

i think it is more likely because after years of horrible pugs people would rather just play alone then have to deal with people..

That's why you get a guild. This has nothing to do with people flat out not wanting to group.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can say that I am VERY picky about the guilds I join. I am too old for drama, and I don't care what some 13 year old boy thinks about some girl at school. I don't care to listen to some one rant about politics in vent. I don't care to spend my "leisure" time being inundated by the drama in other people's lives.

With that said, I have a wonderful small, mature, raid centric guild that I'm very pleased with right now. Took me only 3 months to find it.

As for grouping, the same thing. I have played less then 3 hours 'solo' in my 14 days of continuous game play (per /played, and that was a while ago!) My husband and I enjoy our "date nights" every night, and running content as a duo. We love inviting real life friends, and we love playing the game our way. We're actually very social, BUT....

I don't want to HAVE to group into a 16 person raid just to make a vambrace. I don't want to be forced to do X before I can do Y. What if I had no intention of raiding, and then am invited on a hard mode ops.... but have to decline because I am not geared up? It's the gating that is the problem.

I would be thrilled with a sliding scale system, where I could duo a flashpoint, and have a 1 in a million chance of a drop. It'd be EASIER to get the item in a full group raid, but I would still have the option of saying "screw you guys, you're annoying me today" and drag the poor mistreated man out to tank for me.

See, back in the 90s, we had "hard core" groups who just did things. Now, a "hard core" group requires me to commit to a game as if it were a second job. Since I already have 2 full time jobs, and a family to think about, I really don't want to make my HOBBY into something I dread.

It's the 'forcing players to" and "make players" and "have to" parts that people have problems with. Not the option, but the lack of options.

Edited by Salryc

The same reason some people don't like to

Be forced to pvp

Be forced to watch people from the opposite faction stroll past without consequence

Have to meet high requirements for gear

See gear given out for free to everyone

Craft

Have crafting be worthless

use a LFG tool

form groups without LFG tools

And so on. Entertainment is subjective. Some people enjoy grouping. Others prefer to avoid the encumberance of others. It's not about hardcore versus softcore. Plenty of people played Diablo 2 hardcore, and that was perfectly soloable. It's just about play styles.

Some people are terrified of being "forced to pvp." Other people find carebear coddling intolerable. There are many such dichotomies in MMOs because you have a single gaming environment that is trying to accommodate the desires of multiple types of gamers at once.

Edited by sharpenedstick

I had bad experiances in some pugs that's why I only group with guildies .

I actually find that this game is worse than any other I've played in terms of that. Started playing Rift and the community is much better, including the willingness to group.

I believe that a lot of it is the path of least resistance.

In older games like EQ1 the fastest way to level was to get in a group and (usually) camp a spot. At other camps you still needed a group and you would camp for item drops. A really good area had both :)

As the games have progressed it is more efficient to solo than it is to group. If you are not interested in raiding you virtually never have to group.

If it was more efficient to obtain your goal (whatever it may be) by grouping you would see a majority of the people looking for groups. The die-hard soloers would still solo of course.

Edited by AndasKastor

Major problem with teaming at MMOGs these days is the whole "gogogo"- mentality and overall fast gameplay pacing which encourages such mentality. No social element in teams at all. People don't want to team up with other humans, they want to team up with DPS-bots/Tank-bots/Healer-bots/whatever-bots. Vast majority of such teams are just as asocial as soloing, except that in such teams you can't even stop to send messages to non-team-members since that would slow the team down.

I don't know really, the propensity for grouping has varied amongst the MMOs I've played. Personally I don't generally group outside of my guild because I've had too many bad experiences with people being abusive, time-wasters, entitlement issues, and so forth, but I am happy to group up with people I know are sound, or for specific objectives when out in the field (e.g. two people clearly going for the same champion bonus series boss, makes sense to group and can then disband afterwards.)

Possibly some of it is just that people have been gaming in MMOs long enough that we've all accrued some horror stories that have put us off, combined with some games making things more solo-friendly to suit lower server populations, levelling of alts and so forth. Sometimes it can be fun to party up, but sometimes it just gets irritating.

Mostly it's to get away from folks who can't be bothered to spell "people"

Seriously though, the game is about choice, any game really. People play mmos for various reasons, some enjoy grouping, some like guilds. There are also those who like things inbetween. Me, I enjoy grouping with friends, however as of late, I can't stand guilds. Most of the ones I've been in, you may as well solo. Most of them never do anything together, and you only see someone speak up when "they" need something from a heroic or an instance. Of course not all are like that but it's too difficult to weed out the decent ones, you can never tell from the outside looking in.

Edited by Coiffio

Major problem with teaming at MMOGs these days is the whole "gogogo"- mentality and overall fast gameplay pacing which encourages such mentality. No social element in teams at all. People don't want to team up with other humans, they want to team up with DPS-bots/Tank-bots/Healer-bots/whatever-bots. Vast majority of such teams are just as asocial as soloing, except that in such teams you can't even stop to send messages to non-team-members since that would slow the team down.

^^^ This is also a very good point. In EQ2 and Rift people had done the dungeons/content so many times that they would rush through it as fast as they could.

The last time I grouped for a dungeon in EQ2 I was criticized because I had never done it before and I hadn't studied the strategies online so I wouldn't slow down their group :)

Now I group with my wife and so far no critism (related to the game anyway :) )

i personally hate guilds and grouping because of the drama that comes along with it.

i hate guilds because of the attitude guilded players either already have or will soon have.

i also hate guilds because youre supposed to bend your real world life around the guilds schedule, and if you cant you get dropped, then griefed for it later.

--the guild attitude of "hey im better than you because i did this with my guild and you didnt haha you dont even have a guild. wont any of them take you, noobsauce? but hey im a good person."

--the group attitude of "you arent doing good enough dps or your gear isnt what *I* require so im gonna kick you or grief you till you drop the group. but hey im still a good person."

guilds are supposed to be a thing for like-minded people that get along..not some superiority contest.

grouping is supposed to be for getting things done you cant do yourself...not some drama machine where some get away with making others feel like crap because they dont know when or how to shut up.

guilds and groupers bring it on themselves. decent people just dont want to put up with that behaviour anymore. and we shouldnt be forced to just because were hindering something *YOU* wanna do when its *YOU* making us not want to do it in the first place.

through all the rudeness of these types of people they still have the nerve to tell themselves theyre good people. theyre not theyre horrible people..horrible horrible people.

unfortunatly devs will design a lot of content you have to be grouped for or else you wont ever get to see it or ever get the gear from it which will in turn end up getting you griefed by guilds and groupers again.

Edited by Anathar

That's why you get a guild. This has nothing to do with people flat out not wanting to group.

Baloney. Most guilds are just as bad as most PUGs. If you don't want to raid for the latest "leet warez" the vast majority of guilds have no time for you.

I play this game because it's like KOTOR only more so, and I can play with my wife. I know there is content I'll never get to, but I'm perfectly OK with that.

I'd rent one of these "empty" servers just for the two of us if I could.

Just ask the WoW haters. They will tell you that group content ruins the community.