So a friend invite discloses your real name?

Valhingen

I found this rather shocking actually.

So I asked a lot of online friends who would want an invite to the 7 day trial (I have 3 real life friends who basically let me tell them whom to invite aswell) and when I get the first few replies back its basically goes:

<real name> (Valhingen) has invited you to...

Now what makes you think that anyone I get along with online is supposed to know my real name that I trusted you with in my details?

Oh, and very clever that you cannot change your name in the settings either.

Personally I regret having sent out invitations (though my 3 I dont consider critical) but can only advise my friends not to use this.

Edited by Valhingen

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this rather shocking actually.

So I asked a lot of online friends who would want an invite to the 7 day trial (I have 3 real life friends who basically let me tell them whom to invite aswell) and when I get the first few replies back its basically goes:

<real name> (Valhingen) has invited you to...

Now what makes you think that anyone I get along with online is supposed to know my real name that I trusted you with in my details?

Oh, and very clever that you cannot change your name in the settings either.

Personally I regret having sent out invitations (though my 3 I dont consider critical) but can only advise my friends not to use this.

It's a friend invite. My friends know my name. Funny thing about friendship... They actually know me.

Sorry, but does it matter? What the hell are they going to do with your name?

I know Bill gates' name, that doesn't mean i'm now able to chainsaw my way into his bank account.

Stupid thread is stupid.

Edited by CLASSlFlED

What the hell are you complaining about exactly? What can someone possibly do with your real name? And yes, everyone that I play with knows my real name. I don't see what they could possibly do with it that would have me worried....

A predictable reply...so everybody you know online and maybe like/play with knows your real name? Or you would only invite people that know your real name?

If you only know them online, they aren't your friend. They're an acquaintance.

Sorry, but does it matter? What the hell are they going to do with your name?

I know Bill gates' name, that doesn't mean i'm now able to chainsaw my way into his bank account.

Stupid thread is stupid.

Thats simply your point of view. I did not choose to give out my full name that now makes it rather easy to actually find my address too (I tried).

It's not about what they (probably) will or wont do, its what they could do.

Really, if you don't get the basics of privacy on this subject its stupid to talk to you about it because it leads nowhere. Just because you dont care does not mean its the same for everybody else.

Edited by Valhingen

Thats simply your point of view. I did not choose to give out my full name that now makes it rather easy to actually find my address too (I tried).

Really, if you don't get the basics of privacy on this subject its stupid to talk to you about it because it leads knowhere. Just because you dont care does not mean its the same for everybody else.

Because you're the ONLY person in the world with that name, am i right? Yeah, it's easy to find yourself when you KNOW what you're looking for..

i bet you're up in arms about facebook displaying your real name too, huh?

Edited by LexiCazam
Insult

Really, if you don't get the basics of privacy on this subject its stupid to talk to you about it because it leads knowhere. Just because you dont care does not mean its the same for everybody else.

If you can google personal information about yourself, you seriously need to review how you've been using the internet. I've been using the internet for 16 years now & as far as it's concerned, I don't exist.

Their full, family name? Like of your whole guild, Steam list etc or would you just not call them friends / consider sending an invite?

If they're already in my guild then why would I need to invite them :)

What the hell are you complaining about exactly? What can someone possibly do with your real name? And yes, everyone that I play with knows my real name. I don't see what they could possibly do with it that would have me worried....

Like I said, full address, phone number etc. Some of the people I know online could have be ok with this I suppose but most certainly not anyone.

Because you're the ONLY person in the world with that name, am i right? Yeah, it's easy to find yourself when you KNOW what you're looking for..

i bet you're up in arms about facebook displaying your real name too, huh?

In the world, no, in my city/area yes. As for facebook, no I am not since I expect them to share such details, hence I dont use FB.

Edited by LexiCazam
Insult - quote

Then don't toss them a FRIEND invite. Notice that the word friend is in the title, not acquaintance.

I am well aware that "I" clicked the invite button and if you want to split hairs, yeah I invited 'online acquaintances' aswell since I thought its a nice gesture.

For me that does not mean I am ok with Bioware to decide sharing my real name, thats all it is about.

Edited by Valhingen

A predictable reply...so everybody you know online and maybe like/play with knows your real name? Or you would only invite people that know your real name?

I would use the Invite a friend, to invite a friend. I know my friend's names - they know mine.

I would have to agree with the OP. It's my choice to give my real name, not theirs. I'm not sure why the email cant simply say that "you have been invited for a free 7 day trial of SWTOR-----click here to get started------"

Thats all the email needs to say. Fair that the OP mayhaps could have read the fine print, if in fact it says "hey were gonna tell everyone your real name if you use this service" but still seems unnecessary to give out my real name.

And no, all my online friends do not know my real name. Why would I tell them that? They don't need to know my real name. They know me by "avatar x" and thats all they need to know.

Clearly those opposing the OP are nieve to the powers of some savvy I.T. people or are the typical swtor oppostional poster. Simply posting to argue or flame someone.

How does that go....?.......typical swtor players are typical?

Yea.....somethng like that.

Anyways.....BIG BOLD PRINT, in more than one place, first last and middle of everything, tell folks you are shooting their real name around the internet. Sheesh!

They should put a warning on the invite page that says:

Warning: Sending an invite will reveal your name as registered on your SWTOR account.!

so then it would be your choice to send or not to send, and it would be similar in function to the facebook / other online tie-ins that reveal your name as registered with facebook / etc.

They should put a warning on the invite page that says:

Warning: Sending an invite will reveal your name as registered on your SWTOR account.!

so then it would be your choice to send or not to send, and it would be similar in function to the facebook / other online tie-ins that reveal your name as registered with facebook / etc.

No problem with that at all - or show a preview of the message.

My friends know my name and i know theirs, its no big deal really. But i guess it would come down to how you would interpret the word friend. I personally know my guild mates as that is what my guild promotes during the guild events that happen outside the game.